Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sunroof Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Willowdog
I also would think tinting it would reduce resale as well. Even the best tint doesn't age great and I can't imagine how it will age being on the top of a car v.s. just on the windows.
good quality tint should be fine for years, and it can removed, so I don't see how that would have any effect on the value.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
Honestly I can't tell if you're just being funny or serious. I'd rather have my daughters asking me questions to continue their mental growth. I don't even let them watch more than 1 hr/wk of TV at home. TV destroys the mind and when they grow up they won't be smart enough to make enough money to buy their own Audi
First of all, amen brother. I was raised on TV in the seventies to mid eighties, before it became the big garbage dump it is today. That didn't do me any good. I am soon to take delivery of a 3.0T scuba blue/black and labored over whether or not to keep the pano, mainly because of the heat issue. Since I'm getting the comfort package with ventilated seats, I decided to keep the pano. I read prior posts of tinting causing cracking, but I'm guessing that had more to do with the prior recall for defective pano roof glass than the tinting itself. I'm not sure if I'll tint or not. I'm thinking tinting would obscure the view, somewhat defeating the purpose.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the www.huperoptikusa.com/ ceramic tint and it doesn't obscure the view at all...
Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Does anyone know if the sunroof has no tint like the front windows or is it tint glass like the rear windows?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Does anyone know if the sunroof has no tint like the front windows or is it tint glass like the rear windows?
At least here in Texas it's listed as "deep tint", so I would expect it's probably tinted about like the rear windows are, but haven't exactly taken a light meter out to the dealer or anything.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The tint on the pano roof is about the same as the rear passenger windows and tailgate window...
Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JHRIII
I don't personally see how someone could have so much of a problem with it.
Because it is a personal thing. People on this board think that Scuba Blue with Chestnut interior looks bad or at least isn't a great combo. I got it and love it; absolutely love it. What I don't love, though, is the California sun shining in that I can't block. And paying money to 'tint' the problem v.s. losing $600-1000 on trade seems to be a wash for me.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who knew a sunroof could be so controversial!? I am concerned about the perforated sunroof shade combined with a Texas summer sun, but I love sunroofs and won't go without. The black headliner does seems to lessen the effect of the sun shining directly overhead, though. To each his own!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because it is a personal thing....

YES!

It's your money so buy one you like and drive on.

If your dealer allows, take the panorama car and park it to your driveway for 2-3 hours on noon sunlight and you will quickly learn how hot it gets. Then take your wife and ask her to sit on back seat and drive off to see how much you need to blast the A/C and how long it takes driving around that the back seat feels comfy and not sweat the crap out.

Too often ours have stood 2 hours outside during the 100F sunny noon and usually takes about 2 hours highway drive to cool the interior to the point that wife and kiddo on her carseat don't sweat like in sauna.

We have the normal sunroof on our other car and that with hard cover is far better than panorama and that perforated thin wimpy rag...

If one lives up north where sun is not as intense as further south then panorama could be nice toy but at 90-100F temperatures it's the option we will make sure we don't have.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Because it is a personal thing. People on this board think that Scuba Blue with Chestnut interior looks bad or at least isn't a great combo. I got it and love it; absolutely love it.
It's horrible, and you're a horrible person for liking it. (Not a Chestnut fan, personally, though pre-facelift's Cinnamon was surprisingly nice. I'm a stodgy old black-lover, though, so what do I know about taste? )

What I don't love, though, is the California sun shining in that I can't block. And paying money to 'tint' the problem v.s. losing $600-1000 on trade seems to be a wash for me.
It can be hard to really compare sale values since it's so uncommon. For the right buyer, it could be worth more than one that has the sunroof. And of course since sunroofs were first invented there's people out there who hate them and never want them (who would go so far as to fill it in if they couldn't get a car without).

Personally I'm ambivalent, but can understand people not wanting it at all (especially with the issues VAG used to have with sunroofs -- I get to clean out the drainage hoses on my wife's Golf for the sunroof that she never opens). And if you're planning on keeping the Q5 for a while then the value difference won't end up mattering too much compared to you not having to "deal with it" for however many years.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Delete?