Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Subwoofer Upgrade Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The VO6.5 is 2.375" deep but the W6.5 is 3.25" deep so it may not fit!

http://www.ddaudio.com/tech-support/mounting-data.aspx
Old 07-31-2012, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2012 Q5 2.0T B&O

I just installed the Kicker 10CVT652. It drops in nicely but it doesn't come with a grill so ... I tried to put the factory OEM cover back on but only one screw would work. I tightened it down and put some rubber pads on the pieces to prevent noise coming from it vibrating. As one of the previous posts mentioned it might have worked if I had broken the trim plate off. I was done with my install before I read that post. So, if you go the 10CVT652 route you might want to get a grill also. All that said I can't really hear any difference between the B&O I had before but my ears may not be the best. Am I happy with it? Sure. It does look and feel nicer than the OEM and it was rather inexpensive.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also went to the local sound shop today and had the Digital Design VO M 6.5 installed. I would say the improvement is marginal as I now can hear that I have a speaker in the back. The overall bass is not necessarily improved just the distribution of the sound between the front woofers and rear "sub" woofer. I was told that the VO M6.5 is a very efficient speaker so it probably just uses the power it is given better. For the $116 I paid for install I would say I'm content. Would I do it again...maybe.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi there,

I am upgrading from Audi Sound System. This has subwoofer control from the mmi.

I am considering just trying the kicker 652 (which I've ordered) (my car drives a 2 ohm sub not 4 ohm like the B&O)

If that doesn't make much difference, then I will add an amp. It seems I'll have to do this by taking a feed from the sub connection - therefore it will be a high level input to the amp. I note that amps seem to want a feed from left and right channels - the sub feed obviously is just feeding one speaker - is there a way around this? Can I just split and connect this feed to an amp input or is it more complicated?

Thank mark
Old 08-08-2012, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrdeli
Hi there,
.. I note that amps seem to want a feed from left and right channels - the sub feed obviously is just feeding one speaker - is there a way around this? Can I just split and connect this feed to an amp input or is it more complicated?

Thank mark
if connecting aftermarket sub only, no need for stereo input-use sub high level signal into high level input of a 1-ch amp
Old 08-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi there,

I am upgrading from Audi Sound System. This has subwoofer control from the mmi.

I am considering just trying the kicker 652 (which I've ordered) (my car drives a 2 ohm sub not 4 ohm like the B&O)

If that doesn't make much difference, then I will add an amp. It seems I'll have to do this by taking a feed from the sub connection - therefore it will be a high level input to the amp. I note that amps seem to want a feed from left and right channels - the sub feed obviously is just feeding one speaker - is there a way around this? Can I just split and connect this feed to an amp input or is it more complicated?

Thank mark
I would like to know if you notice a difference.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alvinfromhawaii
I would like to know if you notice a difference.
No worries - I'm hoping it will arrive today. I'll post up results hopefully over the weekend.

Regards mark
Old 08-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So my B&O sub arrived today.

To be honest it's been a bit of a waste of time. The bass is if anything worse than my Audi sound sub.

I am wondering if it is because the B&O sub is 4 ohms verses the Audi one which is 2 ohms? Maybe I need to increase the output level on the MMI, but at the same level it is definately quieter.

Maybe someone can comment on this? Certainly the B&O sub has a much heavier speaker. (pic attached)

I am going to hook up my external amp and probably build an stealth enclosure under the false floor in the trunk. I'll use a 10 or 12 inch sub. I'd appreciate any help or advice with this as I'm a bit leaning on the hoof here.

Another option is to connect my extermal amp to the B&O speaker, but i'm afraid I'd blow it - any ideas what its rated for?

Regards mark.

Sent from my iPhone
Attached Images   
Old 08-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So my B&O sub arrived today.

To be honest it's been a bit of a waste of time. The bass is if anything worse than my Audi sound sub.

I am wondering if it is because the B&O sub is 4 ohms verses the Audi one which is 2 ohms? Maybe I need to increase the output level on the MMI, but at the same level it is definately quieter.

Maybe someone can comment on this? Certainly the B&O sub has a much heavier speaker. (pic attached)

I am going to hook up my external amp and probably build an stealth enclosure under the false floor in the trunk. I'll use a 10 or 12 inch sub. I'd appreciate any help or advice with this as I'm a bit leaning on the hoof here.

Another option is to connect my extermal amp to the B&O speaker, but i'm afraid I'd blow it - any ideas what its rated for?

Regards mark.

Sent from my iPhone
Sorry to hear it is not any better. I thought you were getting the kicker 652, but you your are referring toa B&O sub. Did I misunderstand you?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alvinfromhawaii
Sorry to hear it is not any better. I thought you were getting the kicker 652, but you your are referring toa B&O sub. Did I misunderstand you?
No still waiting on the kicker (amazon unusually slow).

I needed to get a b&o bass box as the standard Audi one does not fit the kicker.

Hopefully be here today?!?!

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Upgrade Project