Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Subwoofer Upgrade Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GregH
Well I ended up with a brand I knew nothing about, and still don't after doing a bit of googling... So at the risk of some guffaws and having the mickey taken...

The auto sound shop that helped me are a pretty clued up bunch, or so it would appear from all the trophys on display and magazine articles on award winning sound installs in frames on the walls of the customer area. Anyway, they were very helpful and we spent some time and tried a few brands to see if we could improve the bass. Fortunately swapping the unit out takes only a minute or so.

The winner was... Digital Designs (digital who? I asked) - a fairly nondescript 4 ohm speaker of 6.5" that fitted perfectly into the slot. No question about the improvement in bass, quite remarkable and not boomy boy racer thump but sharp and clear, and a bit of a kick in the back of the seat at higher volumes. After all bass should be felt a little, as much as heard. Like the B&O should have been. Matches the rest of the system really well and I am now happy with the sound with the bass at or just one notch past the mid 12 o clock. It was a unanimous consensus that this was the best speaker for the job. The sound shop was pretty amazed at the sound the B&O was producing, saying they rated it one of the best OEM systems they have ever heard. Never mind I had to point out to them that it was a Q5, not a Q7 :-)

Glad that the solution was a 4 ohm unit as this will not stress the amp either - peace of mind and same as original unit apparently. They did not advise a 2 ohm unit, saying the increased demand on the amp "is massive" - their words...

Not sure if it made a difference but they also lined as far as possible the inside of the wheel box with a sort of sound mat. Kinda like a thin rubber stuff.

Downside was that this speaker was not particularly cheap, equivalent of around $180 US, but that included their time and effort also. The speaker itself looks pretty bland, certainly nothing more spectacular that the original B&O. It is however noticeably heavier and with a larger diameter magnet. But what matters is that it thumps away without detracting in any way from the audiophile quality. I will keep the original sub safe in the cupboard for another day. Best part is the upgrade is 100% reversible if required, no cutting of wires or speaker housing, simple plug and play!

To anyone thinking about this, check with you local car audio guys and see if they are willing to work with you and actually test a few options. When one repeatedly and consistently stands out superior, you have a winner, regardless of brand or looks. Play the same song on one select CD, not MP3, repeatedly with each option and see what sounds best at various volumes. I can recommend Dire Straits, Tunnel of Love as the track for the testing (studio recording, not live).

Very informative - thanks! Quite interested in doing this "drop in" myself By chance, do you know what particular 6.5" 4 ohm driver from Digital Designs they installed?? (model #)
Old 07-25-2012, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very pleased to hear and very interested!

Is this the one?
http://www.ddaudio.com/products/mobi...fers/sw65.aspx
Old 07-25-2012, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It's great to see that the sub is made in the good 'ol U.S.A. Guess what...I bet it does cost $199 US right here where its made and you got a deal in South Africa.

Last edited by johncaravello; 07-25-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
Very pleased to hear and very interested!

Is this the one?
http://www.ddaudio.com/products/mobi...fers/sw65.aspx
No, not this one. I would have loved to try that one but it will not fit.The diameter is perfect but it is too deep. The back will rest against the bottom of the box and it will still stand proud of the surface. You need what is termed a "shallow mount" which refers to how deep the space it requires below the mounting surface is.

The unit I have is a VO M 6.5. That's all I have on the part number, there may be more to it. There is not much about it on the web. The M stands for Midrange / Midbass depending on which sites you check out - something that would make you think twice when looking for better bass. Ultimately, proof is in the sound quality. I would never have thought twice about this speaker had the audio "experts" at the shop not put it forward as an upgrade option. I believe the B&O sub should be defined a mid bass and not a sub either.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one (I assume):

http://www.ddaudio.com/products/mobi...es/vo-m65.aspx
Old 07-25-2012, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by georgehf
Yes, that be the one! And thanks for finding, sharing the link. As I said, a fairly non descript looking unit. It is quite a bit heavier than the stock unit. Even though they describe it as midrange, in the wheel box, it rocks!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome - thanks again, Greg...and co.! Will definitely be checking this out as a low cost/easy-as-all-get-out upgrade to my B&O. Cheers!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for sharing your findings with us. Even better yet, that driver is only $89 US. Such a bargain!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GregH
Yes, that be the one! And thanks for finding, sharing the link. As I said, a fairly non descript looking unit. It is quite a bit heavier than the stock unit. Even though they describe it as midrange, in the wheel box, it rocks!
The frequency response is 100-16K Hz, so it is NOT a bass/woofer driver, assuming that the system does produce frequencies below 100 Hz, that speaker would cut anything below 100 Hz, and most likely is not efficient in 100-120 Hz range

but they also have this: http://www.ddaudio.com/products/mobi...tes/ddw65.aspx

I wonder if it would fit properly...
Old 07-28-2012, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by m1964
The frequency response is 100-16K Hz, so it is NOT a bass/woofer driver, assuming that the system does produce frequencies below 100 Hz, that speaker would cut anything below 100 Hz, and most likely is not efficient in 100-120 Hz range

but they also have this: http://www.ddaudio.com/products/mobi...tes/ddw65.aspx

I wonder if it would fit properly...
That unit does look interesting, from the image should definitely drop right in.

Yes m1964, it's frequency response leads you to believe it is midrange, not subwoofer territory. However, I think the B&O stock unit is also perhaps operating at higher frequencies. I think it has MUCH to do with the design of the wheel box. It is a partnership between speaker and the space it occupies.

HOWEVER, some more feedback: sound guys called me on Friday to say that a Kicker CompVT 2 ohm Sub had arrived with them!!! I think they were as keen as me to see the performance and with no obligations, I popped around Sat morning to give it a test. You may recall that this was my original 1st choice but was not available.

Part no. On the box 10CVT652. It is a good looking unit, appears better made than all the others due to some fancy trimmings and frequency response is listed as 25-350Hz. It is a fair amount lighter that the Digital Design unit, abouth the same as the B&O I guess.

Well, the Digital Designs unit I have now is better and by some margin. Again there was consensus on this. I am certainly no expert so don't take my word for it here but to me I can take from this: 1) that 2 ohms is not necessarily going to improve bass, only stress the amp, 2) published (low) frequency response is not the be all - in this particular case 3) probably better off using a car sound company that is willing to work with you for your money rather that buying online and 4) looks can be deceiving as the Digital Design unit is not the prettiest. But who cares when it is hidden in the boot.

Another note on the Kicker unit - it has a fancy looking trim plate around it that needs to be removed before it will fit comfortably in the wheel box. Removing it is NOT easy unless you are prepared to break it off.

Last edited by GregH; 07-28-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Upgrade Project