Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 11:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Streaming Music via Bluetooth Connection

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
Download it, AND create a profile. The profile will then set it up so you won't have to wait for a download each time you start the car, the contacts will already be there.
Can you be specific about the process?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by radman2020
Can you be specific about the process?
I don't recall how to do it off the top of my head, as I've only done it three times. It explains it in the MMI/Nav manual pretty well. I can look tomorrow and post the instructions if you'd like.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Steve, not that I don't appreciate all of your helpful insights but this argument that Audi just doesn't want you to be distracted doesn't hold water. The control systems for this car are the most complicated and multistep of any car I have ever driven. It is a case study in distraction.
Funny story, when I complained the non-existant A2DP profile in such an advanced vehicle, their official explanation was "for our customers safety not to be distracted from their devices".

The truth so far is nothing but speculation. However like I said, the solution is out there. I've modified about 8 cables for ppl all over the country. The hard part is finding the A2DP receiver that uses the dock connector.

The link I posted earlier, has a better solution for cable. It provides power and audio input so you are not tied to using a dock connector device only.

For those whom are geeks, Audi's MMI was built based on QNX, and the hardware is for sure supports A2DP. All it needs is just a proper kernel and source to route the audio. I'm sure Audi won't want to do that.

I think it's inconvenience but not justified for me to pick another car over my Q.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
I don't recall how to do it off the top of my head, as I've only done it three times. It explains it in the MMI/Nav manual pretty well. I can look tomorrow and post the instructions if you'd like.
I took out the manual and tried to follow the directions. The directions are not very specific. Certain choices (eg"create profile" are only on the list if certain other things are done...and I can't figure those all out).

In any case, I let it import all my contacts by bluetooth. I then had a profile with the name of my phone. It disappears when I disconnect. I changed the name to make it stick and I think it is still there... but again, when I disconnect the bluetooth, all the names are gone except names I have gone in and clicked as "favorites"

I tried over and over the "dial John Smith" at home (using multiple variations) and it absolutely doesn't work. It simply lists John Smith, who has three numbers in one listing on my phone as three listings on the screen. All have a little cell phone icon in front so I can't tell which is which. When I choose one at random it opens that particular number which is listed with the appropriate icon (Cell, home, or work) and it dials. Dialing someone is a 1/3 proposition!

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

I took out the manual and tried to follow the directions. The directions are not very specific. Certain choices (eg"create profile" are only on the list if certain other things are done...and I can't figure those all out).

In any case, I let it import all my contacts by bluetooth. I then had a profile with the name of my phone. It disappears when I disconnect. I changed the name to make it stick and I think it is still there... but again, when I disconnect the bluetooth, all the names are gone except names I have gone in and clicked as "favorites"

I tried over and over the "dial John Smith" at home (using multiple variations) and it absolutely doesn't work. It simply lists John Smith, who has three numbers in one listing on my phone as three listings on the screen. All have a little cell phone icon in front so I can't tell which is which. When I choose one at random it opens that particular number which is listed with the appropriate icon (Cell, home, or work) and it dials. Dialing someone is a 1/3 proposition!

The MMI is designed such that if you say "dial" it is looking for a numerical input, and if you say "call" it is looking for a name from your contacts. I use "address book" on the Mac for my contacts, and for my iPhone. I organize them by mobile, home, work, etc, and when imported to the MMI they stay labeled as such. When creating a profile, after you have connected, and downloaded your directory, the contacts will stay in the system, that does not mean they will remain viewable when your phone is disconnected. When I drive my partner's A4, my profile becomes active, as it's associated with my phone, and my contacts appear, and when he drives it, the same for his phone/profile/contacts. The profile simply saves time by eliminating the need to re-download the entire address book each time the phone is synced.

To create a profile you have to have imported your contacts, then press the "name" button on the MMI, then the "setup" button, and select "create profile." Follow the instructions, and it'll be done.

I'm not sure why you're having to many difficulties with the telephone/voice feature. It has worked flawlessly in all of our Audis. I think the Audi voice recognition system is pretty decent.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My recognition was not too good until I went through the training. I forget where it is in the menu system, but there is a way to train the voice system to better understand your voice. The only problem is now it does not understand my wife, I guess that makes two of us
Old 01-10-2012, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also remember that this is a voice command system, not a natural language processing system like Siri.

It only understands commands of a fixed form. If you use the wrong words or put more information in a command than the system was expecting, all sorts of weird things happen. Make sure you study the quick reference card that comes with the nav system and are saying commands correctly.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jdong
Also remember that this is a voice command system, not a natural language processing system like Siri.

It only understands commands of a fixed form. If you use the wrong words or put more information in a command than the system was expecting, all sorts of weird things happen. Make sure you study the quick reference card that comes with the nav system and are saying commands correctly.
This is true. Here is a list of voice commands for the Audi MMI.
Attached Images   
Old 01-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by stevedusa
Funny story, when I complained the non-existant A2DP profile in such an advanced vehicle, their official explanation was "for our customers safety not to be distracted from their devices".

The truth so far is nothing but speculation. However like I said, the solution is out there. I've modified about 8 cables for ppl all over the country. The hard part is finding the A2DP receiver that uses the dock connector.

The link I posted earlier, has a better solution for cable. It provides power and audio input so you are not tied to using a dock connector device only.

For those whom are geeks, Audi's MMI was built based on QNX, and the hardware is for sure supports A2DP. All it needs is just a proper kernel and source to route the audio. I'm sure Audi won't want to do that.

I think it's inconvenience but not justified for me to pick another car over my Q.

You guys ate incredible, very,very good info. By the way, anybody wanna guess (or bet) if Audi will provide a software update to stream music. (can the Q5 take a software update?)
Old 01-10-2012, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

As for the chance of our Qs getting an update for the MMI, especially the A2DP part, is very slim.

Audi show cased the new MMI system at CES and well, it's a huge upgrade from what we have in our Qs.

Knowing Audi, they would simply tell you to buy a new car that's equipped with the new MMI.

Quick Reply: Streaming Music via Bluetooth Connection