Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Stop/Start on 3.0T

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stop/Start on 3.0T

Does anyone know if this system is available on other Audi's? I'm concerned about how it will work and if it can be turned off. This really has me re-thinking my 3.0T order.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I heard....

Originally Posted by abcabc
Does anyone know if this system is available on other Audi's? I'm concerned about how it will work and if it can be turned off. This really has me re-thinking my 3.0T order.
Read somewhere that it can be disabled and works pretty seamlessly. I have a 3.0T on order as well---hope what I read is correct!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

In Europe, all models Audi from 2010 have a start-stop system.
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/too...ilter_i_s.html
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/mod...tart_stop.html

Last edited by spijun; 10-08-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Who knows whether it will work/feel the same, but you could go test drive an X3 to see how a similar system feels in that vehicle. I found it a little bit jerky and annoying, frankly. But hey, you can turn it off apparently, so maybe it's no big deal.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I find the Auto Stop/Start in my X1 to be intrusive at times, and it can occasionally activate at the wrong time - shutting down the engine just when you need to go. You do learn how to control it somewhat by timing stops and modulating the brake pedal. (You can reduce pressure on the brake pedal to re-fire the engine without completely releasing the brakes.) I do turn the system off if caught in frequent stop/start situations, but it resets to "on" at the start of the next trip. BMW will change the system to default to the last setting used rather than auto-on if requested, which I intend to do in the near future. I don't know if Audi will offer that option.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As spijun said pretty much everything in Europe has it. From what I recall, in Europe it's enabled by default, and for the US it's supposedly disabled by default (don't recall where I'd read this, though, so I don't know how authoritative the information is). Also from what I've read there's no configuration for that default so you have to turn it off/on each time you start the car if you don't like the default.

Looks like in the US the 2013 A8 added the feature, and the hybrid Q5 already has it (if a dealer near you has a hybrid on the lot). C&D thought it worked fine on the hybrid (http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...commend-page-2), but then again for the hybrid you're pulling away on battery power so it's not quite the same as a gas-only vehicle.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
As spijun said pretty much everything in Europe has it. From what I recall, in Europe it's enabled by default, and for the US it's supposedly disabled by default (don't recall where I'd read this, though, so I don't know how authoritative the information is). Also from what I've read there's no configuration for that default so you have to turn it off/on each time you start the car if you don't like the default.

Looks like in the US the 2013 A8 added the feature, and the hybrid Q5 already has it (if a dealer near you has a hybrid on the lot). C&D thought it worked fine on the hybrid (http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...commend-page-2), but then again for the hybrid you're pulling away on battery power so it's not quite the same as a gas-only vehicle.
It is best to call the dealer or Audi of America and seek information
Old 10-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The 3.0 A6 in the U.S. has this technology and it works really well. It has thresholds so if the engine is a certain temp. it won't activate, if the outside temp. is a certain temp. it won't activate, all kinds of built-in code to make it the best and most efficient as possible technology. With direct injection the technology is pretty seamless.

If you don't like it, hit a button when you get in the car and it won't be used. Not much different than the electric parking brake I set and unset every time I get into and out of my car. The button is right by the shift level in the Q5 I believe, I think you can have your hand on the shift lever and then just hit the button and it's off, until you restart your Q5.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is a button on the dash by the traction control to disable it. I must be pushed after every start cause the default is in the on position.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree the Stop/Start is annoying I test drove the X1 very disappointed. I hope that you can turn it off.

Quick Reply: Stop/Start on 3.0T