Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Stolen - Q5

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen - Q5

Hello,
Although I have been a big fan of this forum for some time, this is my first post. Partly due to reading this forum, I purchased my first 2014 Q5 3.0T in January 2016 and really love it. To my dismay, my Q5 was stolen this past weekend from a hotel parking lot while visiting Daytona Beach, FL. Although the car was locked, unfortunately, my emergency key was still in the glove compartment. It really bothers me because I don't know how they did it. The Sheriff's Office initially called to say they found the car but then shortly thereafter, said they made a mistake; only the tag was found--on another car!

Although they have been notified and I have received a case #, I have not had any discussions with my insurance company yet as to how this will be handled. From reading other posts, it is likely they will allow a couple of weeks to see if the car is found. Any suggestions from this forum on processing of my insurance claim would be appreciated.

Although Audi recommends that the emergency key be kept in the glove box, my experience says this is not a good idea!
Old 05-25-2016, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is horrible news!

I hope it's found, and if not, your insurance claim gets processed quickly.

Will they put you in a rental to cover you until then?

Let us know how the process works.
Good luck.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

So sorry to hear about this. I can't imagine how I would feel if this happened to me. I hope your insurance can make this as painless as possible for you. Sending good thoughts!
Old 05-26-2016, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by joli108
Hello,

Although Audi recommends that the emergency key be kept in the glove box, my experience says this is not a good idea!
I'm sorry to hear what happened to you

Please where you read or hear for a spare key - this is not true

It says that the adapter for the spare key kept in the glove box not SPARE KEY

Last edited by spijun; 05-26-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 227 Likes on 191 Posts

Sorry for your loss, hope either they find it in great condition, or the insurance does you well!

Now there is a black box that costs about $5 that will unlock most, if not all, Audi/VW vehicles with the Advanced Key option, scary isn't it. Owners without the Advanced Key option, the box won't work, they just need to worry about smashed windows to get in side. Many people put that emergency key in the glove box, a no - no. In fact, if you lost your FOB, or it didn't work, how would you expect the get to the emergency key if you couldn't unlock the vehicle?

Now once the bad guys unlock your vehicle, and they targeted your vehicle to be stolen for days, they read the VIN number on the dash through the windshield. They can then have a key made for your vehicle with ease, and with another back box plugged into the OBDII port, program the vehicle to accept the key, start it, and gone, takes only a minute or two.

I my state it's illegal to cover the dash VIN number, so I have a large dead fly sitting on the last 2 digits of my VIN, officer sorry I guess the fly just died there today! I also put a small screw in my OBDII connector from the side to prevent any electrical connection, the screw removes in a few seconds, no bad guy is going to try and figure what's wrong.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you can use VCDS to start the car without the key as well. I read a post about starting the car using it a while back ago. Once turned off you have to use VCDS to start it again. I can't remember how it was done though.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hid my 'spare key' with a velcro based 'hide a key'. Not a lot of metal to attach a magnetic one on modern cars....I leave the key holder in the glove box...worst case scenario I grab the hide a key from my hiding spot and open the door with it, insert into the holder..and away we go...
Old 05-26-2016, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryT
I think you can use VCDS to start the car without the key as well. I read a post about starting the car using it a while back ago. Once turned off you have to use VCDS to start it again. I can't remember how it was done though.
I'll give you $ 10,000 if you can do with VCDS. Make an effort and find where you read

Last edited by spijun; 05-26-2016 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you all for your concern and helpful information. As you can imagine, this has been a devastating and difficult experience. I did have my first recorded conversation with my insurance claims rep today. They will allow an additional week to see if the car is located; if not, then I will have to complete some additional claim forms for them to do an analysis of my claim and go from there.

Thanks Spijun for posting the clarification on the adapter and spare key. During my orientation to the car, the salesman put the box in the glove compartment and said that's where it is generally kept and that is where it remained. I am embarrassed to say that I never removed it nor took the time to read further about it.

Will keep you posted on any progress...
Old 05-26-2016, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
That is horrible news!

Will they put you in a rental to cover you until then?
Yes, rental included.

Quick Reply: Stolen - Q5