Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Static Cornering Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Turguin
My 2013 Hybrid Q5 has them too.
Thanks Turguin. I went digging in VAG-COM last night and found nothing obvious in 09- Cent Electronics that corresponded to these lights being active or not. It's some bit somewhere that isn't identified yet.

I do like that the light is integrated in the actual headlight housing itself because when it's one of the fog lights doing the work it appears like the other fog light is burned out.

I wish the color temperature of the halogen bulb was closer to the HID though. Perhaps it's possible to replace the bulb with one that has a higher color temp. A xenon bulb isn't an option (and most LED's aren't either) because of the fade on/off properties of the lamp. That would ruin xenon and LED ballasts in a hurry.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TonySCV
I wish the color temperature of the halogen bulb was closer to the HID though. Perhaps it's possible to replace the bulb with one that has a higher color temp. A xenon bulb isn't an option (and most LED's aren't either) because of the fade on/off properties of the lamp. That would ruin xenon and LED ballasts in a hurry.
I agree, and I picked up a set of Hoen Xenonmatch bulbs for my cornering lights. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure how to get at them to change them. Has anybody done or, or does anybody have some instructions/diagrams that might help?
Old 10-19-2013, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Wunsch
I agree, and I picked up a set of Hoen Xenonmatch bulbs for my cornering lights. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure how to get at them to change them. Has anybody done or, or does anybody have some instructions/diagrams that might help?
Maybe this to help

Name:  ScreenShot164_zps0210d14e.jpg
Views: 8134
Size:  92.9 KB
Old 10-19-2013, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that looks quite helpful, Spijun. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abcabc
The static cornering light is the one shown in the picture between the headlight and the blinker. If you live in the US, you don't get it even though Audi's website continues to say you do.
I have these lights in my 2013 Q5 in Canada. Is there a way to turn ON that halogen bulb while standing at rest? I tried blinkers and turning the wheel but nothing. Thx
Old 11-16-2015, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I have them as well and they come on if I'm on drive and either standing still or going slowly, and turn on turning signal.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking and under the impression that the little square in the middle of the headlamp assembly was for the headlight washer.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have to be doing everything, just right, for them to come on. Mine come on, only, when I'm going very slow (like turning into my driveway), and very sporadically. I've never been able to "make" them come on.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino757
I think you have to be doing everything, just right, for them to come on. Mine come on, only, when I'm going very slow (like turning into my driveway), and very sporadically. I've never been able to "make" them come on.
They have been designed that way. I can easily make them come on though - drive slowly/stand still on "drive" with turn signal on, or just turn the wheel sharply (in latter case you can see main lights rotating a bit as well). Their thinking probably is that you aren't going to do turns sharp enough for them to be of any use if you go faster than just slow creeping up (I think the manual mentioned 10 km/h or so - don't have it in hand), if you do go faster than turning main headlights would suffice.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
You would think that they would quickly repair their mis-statements. It sets them up for a disappointed customer who doesn't get what they promise.

Almost like this person posting could see into the future.

Quick Reply: Static Cornering Lights