Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Stasis 2.0T ECM & Exhaust...done.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whyjay91
Can you break down the additional $2700 over the product price? I'm shocked at your $4200 total as I would expect flash, exhaust, bigger turbo, and tune for that kind of money. And I hope that wasn't $4200 Canadian.

Anyway, I appreciate the post. Keep us informed on how much quicker you think the car really is.
My understanding of the thread is that included the ECU tune ($1500), exhaust system ($1200), plus shipping, customs problems, import duties & taxes, and dealer labor.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My wife and I are seriously considering a STaSIS or APR tune once our Q5 comes in. Of course, we will drive it for a couple months to determine the priority of the upgrade. The only issue is the nearest STaSIS authorized dealer is 150 miles away. I don't mind driving there -- especially if they provide a loaner -- but I am concerned that it could be an issue when I have my car serviced back at home.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by whyjay91
Can you break down the additional $2700 over the product price? I'm shocked at your $4200 total as I would expect flash, exhaust, bigger turbo, and tune for that kind of money. And I hope that wasn't $4200 Canadian.

Anyway, I appreciate the post. Keep us informed on how much quicker you think the car really is.
Well, I sure didn't pay in rubles.

ECM Tune: $1,495.00 (per Stasis website)
Exhaust Components: $1,495.00 (per Stasis website)
Shipping: $225
Customs Fee: $117
Labour: $412.50
Shop Supplies: $39.19
Tax (HST): $462.44

I don't know where you are sourcing your parts, whyjay, but a respectable turbo alone is going to run close to this total. No idea what Stasis' turbo will cost—they haven't listed it yet—but for comparison, APR Q5 turbo lists for $2800 or so.

CA/US exchange was within a point of par when I had this work done. It accounted for a premium of about $29, so I didn't sweat it too much.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cprg2011
Thumbs up!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Many thanks for the detailed review and cost breakdown. I am particularly interested in how the Stasis exhaust sounds under normal acceleration in everyday driving, for example, from 0-50 km, 30-60 km, 50-100 km and going uphill.

To be honest, I kind of wished I went with the 3.2 for my Q5. Acceleration in the 2.0T is comparable in everyday driving to the 3.2 but the exhaust note is far from satisfying. I have to say that I enjoy driving my A5 3.2 much more. Of course, that has partly to do with the A5 vs the Q5.

I also like the 6 speed auto in the A5 better than the 8 speed in the Q5.

Please post an update after you've had a couple more weeks with the upgrades. Any other with the Stasis ECU and/or Stasis Exhaust upgrades, please share your experience. Thanks, again!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cprg2011

ECM Tune: $1,495.00 (per Stasis website)
Exhaust Components: $1,495.00 (per Stasis website)
Shipping: $225
Customs Fee: $117
Labour: $412.50
Shop Supplies: $39.19
Tax (HST): $462.44

I don't know where you are sourcing your parts, whyjay, but a respectable turbo alone is going to run close to this total. No idea what Stasis' turbo will cost—they haven't listed it yet—but for comparison, APR Q5 turbo lists for $2800 or so.

CA/US exchange was within a point of par when I had this work done. It accounted for a premium of about $29, so I didn't sweat it too much.
Thanks for the breakdown. It seems it's a combination of the high price of Stasis products for the Q5 and the additional $1200 in labor, shipping, and taxes, etc... My surprise was based on a recent twin turbo GReddy package with exhaust and tune. Came out to around $4500 on my previous Infiniti product. I suppose an APR setup purchased a year from now and installed in the states might be significantly cheaper but of course then there's the warranty concerns.

Either way, I think you made the right choice and I appreciate the breakdown on pricing as I've also been considering for the wife's Q.

And glad you didn't pay in rubles. Would've been simply awkward. Let us know how the performance continues to feel.

Last edited by whyjay91; 10-04-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, it's been a few weeks now in which I have tried to get a better feel for what is going on with this tune. I must admit that I find myself in WTF land. It has continued to give me the impression that there is nothing particularly noticeable from a performance gain point of view. Subjective, I know, but that's what counts.

Being a bit of an obsessive MF I went so far as to get a stock Q5 2.0T and do a series of timed runs in identicle conditions with both vehicles for comparison purposes. It was a low-tech approach but the only way I could think of for an objective apples to apples comparison. The result? No difference. None. Even assuming a factor of driver amateurishness, that just ain't right: I was an amateur in both vehicles in the same way.

I talked to Stasis with questions as to possible tune failure and had my dealer do some data logging which was sent to Stasis for evaluation. The numbers were said to be ok. Sigh, I said. In keeping with an obsessive approach I guess the next step is to find an AWD dyno to confirm what's going on. To be fair, Stasis has been very helpful and responsive in answering questions and they don't seem to understand why things are as they seem to be...they said their analysis indicated that the engine was, as it should be, making more power. It just doesn't seem to be there, at least according to my "seat-dyno" as someone once called it. They suggested I buy a Ross-Tech setup (my dealer doesn't have one) to get some more detailed numbers for them to evaluate. Thanks, I said.

Don't take this as a negative report yet...there may be other things going on...but considering one of the reasons for going with the 2.0T was the tune-ability if I felt the need for a bit more oomph, I'm feeling a bit choked at this point. I certainly don't regret the engine choice...I think it's great in stock config...but this tune aspect of it has so far been disappointing.

I thought I would keep folks up to date here. Stay tuned. Ha, or not.

Last edited by cprg2011; 10-30-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not an apples to apples comparison, but go to the track and get good 1/8 or 1/4 mile times and let us know how u launch, etc...

awd and a boosted launch versus a 'wait until it's green launch' can be a BIG difference ! would expect a 1.9 or better 50 foot for this combination if driven correctly...

just emailed stasis for before and after dyno results...
Old 10-30-2011, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the update. If you ever get your Q on an AWD dyno I'd be most curious to see the results. Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
not an apples to apples comparison, but go to the track and get good 1/8 or 1/4 mile times and let us know how u launch, etc...

awd and a boosted launch versus a 'wait until it's green launch' can be a BIG difference ! would expect a 1.9 or better 50 foot for this combination if driven correctly...

just emailed stasis for before and after dyno results...
Dyno comparison is on their website.
Boosted vs. flat start comparison is not the point: any direct, equivalent comparison should result in a difference. A stated 50hp, etc./15% performance improvement shouldn't require me to go to a track and undertake scientific analysis to notice.

Quick Reply: Stasis 2.0T ECM & Exhaust...done.