Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

starting to question my Q5 TDI order..

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014 2.0 Prem+. Have had it just over a year (if you count 11 days of ED trip). The only thing I regret is that I didn't get an SQ5. I love my Audi and haven't had any issues yet except that I enjoy driving more than I ever have before.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 58K mi on my 2011 premium plus. I just replaced the tires, and have not replaced the brake pads yet. Reliability has been great. We drove it to Alaska and back this summer. Super comfortable.

Myron
Old 01-02-2015, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New German Luxury vehicle owner

I can understand your worry. After having a Nissan and Infiniti which were excellent, I was worried to buy a German Luxury vehicle. I have heard many stories about their quality (or lack of).
We took the plunge on our Q5 and we could not be happier. The vehicle is excellent. We just surpassed 15K issue free miles (headed to the dealer for service tomorrow).
Do not worry to much about your decision. You are buying one of the last of this generation of Q5, so most of the bugs should be worked out.
Wait patiently and enjoy the vehicle when it shows up.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wouldn't stress. I did the lexus for a year and well yeah you can see the result... Back to German and couldn't be happier
Old 01-02-2015, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
ordered a 15 TDI day after thanksgiving…Seeing several posts indicating some serious issues with Audi/Q5 quality(e.g. steering, shifting clunk, fast brake wear/rotor replacement, etc) and oddball design (e.g. no dipstick)

Coming from a Lexus, I expect premium reliability from a premium car company…Or is it just people with 'issues' venting (you always hear the bad news, not the good news)?

I would lose my $1,000 deposit if I cancel (unless the dealer is OK with refunding it)…But could be $$ ahead in the long run if I avoid repair bills down the line..

All car makes and models will have scattered issues and quirks here & there. For a while I was interested in a Jeep Grand Cherokee until I heard its vaunted 4WD system was plagued with gremlins. I've had an Acura where tons of little things (door handles, power window motors) crapped out, and a 1973 VW Beetle that was rock solid. Enjoy your purchase and don't sweat it.

P.S. You can buy a manual dipstick for like 25 bucks from ECS Tuning. I did just to make sure the electronic system was accurate, and it is -- very.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

14 TDI here - no problems at all - none.
Never regretted my purchase

I wouldn't worry about unreliability, coming form a Lexus GS400, I will say the Lexus is softer, more comfortable, and generally has less of an "edge" to it compared to Audi. That's not for everyone. Some people like to feel disconnected from the road, as though they were sitting in their living room while driving. Not being critical, to each their own, and Lexus had many many happy owners - just my opinion. Plus Lexus has that hideous grill ...

I think 50% of the people complaining have real issues, the rest like to complain about something, or are trolling for shock value.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed!
I'm nearing 12K miles and have had no problems with my '14 SQ5...none!
Old 01-04-2015, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Reliability is relative. Not much difference between 7 in 100 Vs 4 in 100 vehicles issue ratio. The 2013 Q5 is rated average (posted somewhere on this board with link). I suspect both the 2014 and 2015 Q5 will be slightly above average. QC has been improving and not any major flaws that I am aware of. Adhering to a maintenance or service schedule and your driving style will have a lot to do with any issues. My son puts off service until max time is accelerator peddle to brake peddle driver. I tend to be diligent with maintenance, take my foot off of peddle and use engine brake some before braking. I don't tel gate and rush up to red lights either. I think you will be happy with your Q5.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

On the related note, if you are going to get a Q5 better to get a 2015 model (with delays to the Mexico plant a 2016 likely will be made in Germany as well). Once the Mexico plant starts cranking out the Q5s you will see a lot of quality issues. I have posted about this already and noted some of the major issues car manufactures are already seeing in Mexico.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The truck is of decent quality however Audi service departments can be disappointing and even a deal breaker. Do your research. IMO, Lexus service excels, BMW isn't bad, Audi can be painful.

Quick Reply: starting to question my Q5 TDI order..