Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Roof Rack: Possible to disable the ride change? (Plus pics of SQ5 w/ new 22's)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaQ7
The SQ5 comes 1.2" lower than a standard Q5, and I'll leave the suspension as it is.
Can you confirm that your SQ5 is 1.2" lower than a Q5? Audi USA originally announced that when the car was doing the show circuit in 1Q. However, all indications since then are that the car is not lowered. I haven't seen any official explanation from Audi but the most plausible reason given on this forum and elsewhere was that Audi would lose the light truck certification on the vehicle if they lowered it in the US market.

That having been said, if you're happy with the look, that's all that counts.

Steve
Old 08-20-2013, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun

Although I do not understand why do you want to do that ( do not drive a Ferrari or Lamborghini)
Thanks for the two pictures of the roof rail and foot base magnet. To answer your question about why I want to remove the magnet:

Well, after buying the suv, the sales guy gave me a thorough run down on the car, rack, electronics, etc... He told me when I'm not using the rack, to take them off the suv since they change the ride and drive characteristics.

Since I use the racks weekly, it does not make sense to remove them every week when they are not in use mid-week. What a pain that would be!

Sure it makes since to me, that with the racks on, Audi wants to make adjustments to the ride, engine, brakes, or what ever it changes due to a heavy load on the roof. But why would I need this change to the SUV all of the other time???? I only use the racks one day on the weekends, sometimes two days, and would rather have the SQ5 drive and handle like it would with out the racks. Plus, what I put on my rack is not that heavy (surf board or SUP boards). Make sense? Or am I wrong to think like this?

So I shouldn't drive a Ferrari or Lamborghini? But if the SUV handles, rides, and drives better with out the racks on the roof, wouldn't I want this setting active all of the time, even with the racks on the roof but when they are are not in use???? Hmmm...

Thoughts? Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by BayAreaQ7; 08-20-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scrmorling
Can you confirm that your SQ5 is 1.2" lower than a Q5? Audi USA originally announced that when the car was doing the show circuit in 1Q. However, all indications since then are that the car is not lowered. I haven't seen any official explanation from Audi but the most plausible reason given on this forum and elsewhere was that Audi would lose the light truck certification on the vehicle if they lowered it in the US market.

Steve
Sorry we're throwing this thread off topic, but the stock Q5 rear wheel gap is approx 4 1/2" and the front wheel gap is 4 3/8" (I might have those measurements backwards). I think Steve is requesting BayAreaQ7 to measure the wheel gaps to confirm the 1.2" drop since all the pictures we've seen don't show any noticeable drop.

BayAreaQ7: I totally get what you're saying with your post above. I would do the same thing since my dealer also told me the racks "totally change" the driving dynamics of the car. Obviously we don't drive a Ferrari, but if you can have it handle like it's supposed to then I don't see why you wouldn't do it!

Last edited by Parsec; 08-20-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Thanks for the two pictures of the roof rail and foot base magnet. To answer your question about why I want to remove the magnet:

Well, after buying the suv, the sales guy gave me a thorough run down on the car, rack, electronics, etc... He told me when I'm not using the rack, to take them off the suv since they change the ride and drive characteristics.

Since I use the racks weekly, it does not make sense to remove them every week when they are not in use mid-week. What a pain that would be!

Sure it makes since to me that with the racks on Audi wants to make adjustments to the ride, engine, brakes, or what ever it changes due to a heavy load on the roof. But why would I need this change to the SUV all of the other time???? I only use the racks one day on the weekends, sometimes two days, and would rather have the SQ5 drive and handle like it would with out the racks. Plus, what I put on my rack is not that heavy (surf board or SUP boards). Make sense? Or am I wrong to think like this?

So I shouldn't drive a Ferrari or Lamborghini? But if the SUV handles, rides, and drives better with out the racks on the roof, wouldn't I want this setting active all of the time, even with the racks on the roof but when they are are not in use???? Hmmm...

Thoughts? Any feedback is appreciated.
The change applies only to the system of ESP

So the best that you yourself test vehicle wiht/w.o. roof rack to see if you will notice the difference.
- try it first with a roof rack
- same part road without roof rack
My opinion is that you will not be able to notice a difference in the behavior of the vehicle
Old 08-20-2013, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
since my dealer also told me the racks "totally change" the driving dynamics of the car. Obviously we don't drive a Ferrari, but if you can have it handle like it's supposed to then I don't see why you wouldn't do it!
Have you tried it, did you happen to notice the difference, if so please write what is the difference with and without roof racks.
Thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Regarding the wheels, did he have a white S-line Q5? It sounds like the same guy, he's down in San Jose. I sold him my 21" SQ5 wheels & tires about 2 weeks ago for $2,350. They only had 700 miles on the tires.

Thanks!
Yep, I'm the one that bought his SQ5 rims, and the one that sold 20" rims to MP4.2+6.0
It is indeed a small world
Old 08-20-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scrmorling

Steve
Hey Steve,

You might be right, I have read various articles about the USA SQ5 & Euro SQ5 and sometimes the info is mixed. The latest article I read did state the US version of the SQ5 is lower than a stock Q5. I'd be happy to take a pictures of the wheel gap tonight and post the pics.

Here is a link to the article, and a snap shot of the paragraph outlining the suspension changes. One thing I do know, the suspension is drastically different compared to a regular Q5.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news
Old 08-20-2013, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dnt12q5
Yep, I'm the one that bought his SQ5 rims, and the one that sold 20" rims to MP4.2+6.0
It is indeed a small world
Hey Duc! Good to see you here... You need to post some pictures of your fancy new S-line Q5 with the SQ5 21" wheels. The white looked great on that suv!!

Mike
Old 08-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Steve,

You might be right, I have read various articles about the USA SQ5 & Euro SQ5 and sometimes the info is mixed. The latest article I read did state the US version of the SQ5 is lower than a stock Q5. I'd be happy to take a pictures of the wheel gap tonight and post the pics.

Here is a link to the article, and a snap shot of the paragraph outlining the suspension changes. One thing I do know, the suspension is drastically different compared to a regular Q5.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news
Pics & measurements would be great, many thanks.

I think that Car & Driver piece dates back to January and is based on Audi's original press release.

Steve
Old 08-20-2013, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Read back a few screens--the lowering story appears to be Audi PR wrong

I confirmed at the parts numbers already for SQ's vs. the rest. Just flip down a few screens to related threads. Line by line on the suspension parts diagrams, all the parts are the same. Only the front brakes (a different diagram) are different/nicer (mostly the larger quasi floating rotors), and the rears have a paint job. Any differences you feel should be the lower profile tires on any U.S. SQ.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-24-2013 at 08:48 AM.

Quick Reply: SQ5 Roof Rack: Possible to disable the ride change? (Plus pics of SQ5 w/ new 22's)