Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 / Q5 weak Homelink garage door signal

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Russkii
Works just fine on our 2015 Q5. The range is definitely not as reaching as in our Lexus IS350 that Q5 had replaced, but opens and closes the garage door from about 3-4 houses away distance without fail. Definitely does not SUCK.
Can you tell me what brand your garage door opener is?
Old 11-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bruswain
Can you tell me what brand your garage door opener is?
It is Chamberlain purchased at Home Depot in Canada. To note, we had to follow the instruction listed in the manual. It involved holding car's remote in front of the vehicle's grill pushing a button after engaging a button on the opener itself. Do not recall the exact procedure but methods we used in the past for Honda Accord and Lexus IS350 definitely did not work.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone that had a weak Homelink signal issue been able to correct it? Like a previous post mentioned, works when door is open and you are trying to close, but when garage door is closed and you are trying to open it, Homelink opener does not work. Porsche and BMW ones work fine on the same garage.
Got a 2015 Q5 TDI. Tested the homelink after reading this article and had no problems. We can open/close garage doors from around a corner about 2 houses over.
FYI, we have XM radio in car but I do not think that it is significant.

Last edited by Sigq5; 12-18-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After some experimenting with two different doors and cars I believe it has to do with the specific combo of garage door with the model of your car. For instance:

Liftmaster + 2015 SQ5 = works
Liftmaster + 2015 A3 = works

Synoris + 2015 SQ5 = does not work
Synoris + 2015 A3 = works

We live in a tract and neighbors with the same garage door opener and Q5s also have the same issue. I currently have service dept at the dealer looking into the problem, I have informed them that it is a known issue among Audi owners. So far they have not provided any answers but hopefully soon.

Worst case scenario, I switch out the garage door opener for a brand known to work. If anyone else could share what brands are confirmed to work or which don't that would be great!

Last edited by bruswain; 11-12-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

After some experimenting with two different doors and cars I believe it has to do with the specific combo of garage door with the model of your car. For instance:

Liftmaster + 2015 SQ5 = works
Liftmaster + 2015 A3 = works

Synoris + 2015 SQ5 = does not work
Synoris + 2015 A3 = works

We live in a tract and neighbors with the same garage door opener and Q5s also have the same issue. I currently have service dept at the dealer looking into the problem, I have informed them that it is a known issue among Audi owners. So far they have not provided any answers but hopefully soon.

Worst case scenario, I switch out the garage door opener for a brand known to work. If anyone else could share what brands are confirmed to work or which don't that would be great!

In response to your post, we have a Chamberlain and have not seen any issues. For details, see my earlier post
Good luck and holler if there is anything else I can help you with
Old 12-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One way to get this fixed is to make Audi aware of the issue. Here is the response I received from Audi, seems the only way is to get enough people to write in about it:

"Our analytics team looks for common trends in our systems and if they see trends where similar issues are happening to certain vehicles, then extended warranties or software updates would be issued and this would help us address these concerns. "
Old 12-13-2015, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2016 SQ5. I also have two Genie garage door openers. I've programmed the SQ5 Homelink, and it works flawlessly with both doors from at least 100 feet. If you have a door opener which uses a rolling code, be sure to follow the instructions in the Audi owners manual for that type of opener. I don't know what the polarization of the transmitting antenna is in our Audis, but if the antenna on your garage door opener is a vertical wire dangling down as mine are, you might try moving the wire to a horizontal position and see if that makes any difference.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine is terrible as well. I've owned three cars with HomeLink, this is the only one I struggle with. If the car is facing the garage, it seems to work consistently, but facing away from the garage I can't get it to operate. I back into my garage, so when I'm leaving the house I can never get it closed. I also carry a $20 keychain remote that works flawlessly.

Also, Does the car have to be "on" (running or not) for HomeLink to work? I can't seem to make it work when I push the button with the car off. Note: all my other vehicles with HomeLink worked regardless if the car was "on" or not.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GRT89521

Also, Does the car have to be "on" (running or not) for HomeLink to work? I can't seem to make it work when I push the button with the car off. Note: all my other vehicles with HomeLink worked regardless if the car was "on" or not.
Yes - car has to be on for HomeLink to work in this car. That can be a good thing too depending on how you look at it.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It's not an Audi issue. It's that home link sucks. I have two other cars with openers that are not home link and they work great. My wife has a MBZ with home link and it sucks too. I put a range extender on the garage door motor with an antenna that mounts on the outside of the garage door. That will make it work better.

Quick Reply: SQ5 / Q5 weak Homelink garage door signal