Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 pro-tips & advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 pro-tips & advice

Hey, seems like there are a bunch of new SQ5 owners and a bunch of active existing owners which is awesome.

For new and existing owners - what pro-tips and advice would you give to new owners?

So far I've heard:
* Get winter tires if you're planning on driving in snow
* Ordering a custom build ends up taking many months and stress tracking it
* Pricing wise, people are getting 6-12% off MSRP
* Some other threads about an app that lets you customize some pieces/lighting/etc...

Any must have accessories?

Advice on whether we need to break the car in initially?

Favorite configurations for what mode and what drive to be in (Dynamic + Sports?)
Old 11-12-2015, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Based on my few days of experience (I've got a car in "everything" config):
*Winter tires are a must if you live in the area where there is snow
*Custom orders take 2 to 3 months to arrive. Tracking is available (sort of), but you have to do your homework. Audi certainly doesn't make it easier to do.
*Pricing wise - in Canada I haven't heard anyone getting more than 4% off MSRP. But they are substantially cheaper here than in US to begin with, so this kind of compensate for that, in addition you can usually get better deal on accessories as a package deal with a car purchase.
*Didn't try app yet, still getting used to way things work

My additions/first impressions:
*Brake-in is needed and described in User Manual. Essentially first 600 miles (1000 km) they advise to not rev the engine higher than 2/3 of the redline for sustained periods of time, then during 600-1000 miles (1000-1500 km) slowly raise it to the max. They also not advise travelling at max speed, but this advice is moot in US/Canada anyway as if you even try that odds are this will be your last drive in quite a while (max speed for SQ5 is 155mph/250 km/h which is waaay beyond any speed limits we've got here).
*I LOVE adaptive cruise control & side assist! IMHO these are must have on any modern car. Once you drive with it once, you won't be able to ever go back.
*Lack of dedicated buttons for answering a phone/hangup is less annoying than I was thinking it would be.
*Lack of dedicated buttons for next/previous track on a steering wheel is about as annoying as I thought it would be. But I'm still getting used to MMI controls, so it remains to be seen if this will still be an issue worth mentioning one month from now.
*Adaptive lighting is useful if you live in rural areas which might not be well-lit during night, but I can totally live without it if need be.
*Got the same rattle of cargo cover as some other people reported here. Will need to work on that.
*The way keyless entry system works is not really suited for me in several circumstances, but maybe that's because I don't really know how it works and doing something wrong. Again this will need to be revised later.
*I'm not a big fan of the way adaptive cruise control's speed adjustment works - in that you only increase/decrease speed in rather large chunks when it's over 60 mph/100 km/h, but I think I will just need to learn to live with it. But otherwise ACC is AWESOME!
*Parking aids - once you RTFM and figure out how it works (especially in parallel parking mode) it's very handy. But you do need to read that manual
*Comfort seats are...well comfortable No complaints here, heating and ventilation works well.
*Drive select - I have it in individual, which is set as all dynamic except the engine and transmission - this is because it's still in brake-in mode, so I don't want to rev it high yet.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is why I love this forum - really great info here thanks!

Originally Posted by asmi84
Based on my few days of experience (I've got a car in "everything" config):
*Winter tires are a must if you live in the area where there is snow
*Custom orders take 2 to 3 months to arrive. Tracking is available (sort of), but you have to do your homework. Audi certainly doesn't make it easier to do.
*Pricing wise - in Canada I haven't heard anyone getting more than 4% off MSRP. But they are substantially cheaper here than in US to begin with, so this kind of compensate for that, in addition you can usually get better deal on accessories as a package deal with a car purchase.
*Didn't try app yet, still getting used to way things work

My additions/first impressions:
*Brake-in is needed and described in User Manual. Essentially first 600 miles (1000 km) they advise to not rev the engine higher than 2/3 of the redline for sustained periods of time, then during 600-1000 miles (1000-1500 km) slowly raise it to the max. They also not advise travelling at max speed, but this advice is moot in US/Canada anyway as if you even try that odds are this will be your last drive in quite a while (max speed for SQ5 is 155mph/250 km/h which is waaay beyond any speed limits we've got here).
*I LOVE adaptive cruise control & side assist! IMHO these are must have on any modern car. Once you drive with it once, you won't be able to ever go back.
*Lack of dedicated buttons for answering a phone/hangup is less annoying than I was thinking it would be.
*Lack of dedicated buttons for next/previous track on a steering wheel is about as annoying as I thought it would be. But I'm still getting used to MMI controls, so it remains to be seen if this will still be an issue worth mentioning one month from now.
*Adaptive lighting is useful if you live in rural areas which might not be well-lit during night, but I can totally live without it if need be.
*Got the same rattle of cargo cover as some other people reported here. Will need to work on that.
*The way keyless entry system works is not really suited for me in several circumstances, but maybe that's because I don't really know how it works and doing something wrong. Again this will need to be revised later.
*I'm not a big fan of the way adaptive cruise control's speed adjustment works - in that you only increase/decrease speed in rather large chunks when it's over 60 mph/100 km/h, but I think I will just need to learn to live with it. But otherwise ACC is AWESOME!
*Parking aids - once you RTFM and figure out how it works (especially in parallel parking mode) it's very handy. But you do need to read that manual
*Comfort seats are...well comfortable No complaints here, heating and ventilation works well.
*Drive select - I have it in individual, which is set as all dynamic except the engine and transmission - this is because it's still in brake-in mode, so I don't want to rev it high yet.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2 cents if even worth that.

• Lower it, way too much wheel gap.
  • Add Eurocode sway bars, the stock end links are sufficient, but you can certainly replace those if you want.
  • Add some spacers to the wheels, 15mm front and 20mm rear to give it a nice stance, actually it seems to improve the handling a bit as well.
  • Do something for the bumper/hood such as Expel or Suntec film if you don't want to have rock chips.
  • As already suggested, get a dedicated winter wheel/tire combo, if you are planning on getting nicer wheels, make your OEM wheels the winter set, unless you have 21's of course.
  • Replace the brake pads with something less dusting.
  • Get the transmission mount insert.
  • Tint the front windows.
  • Drive and smile.
  • Repeat last line above over and over.

Advanced changes:
  • Cat back exhaust, maybe even downpipes
  • Tune
Old 11-12-2015, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wouldn't recommend any mods unless the owner is fully aware of possible consequences. As for lowering - I specifically bought SQ5 for higher ride (sometimes we get enough snow for sedan to get stuck in it), otherwise I'd buy S4 instead.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by asmi84
I wouldn't recommend any mods unless the owner is fully aware of possible consequences. As for lowering - I specifically bought SQ5 for higher ride (sometimes we get enough snow for sedan to get stuck in it), otherwise I'd buy S4 instead.
+1. I got rid of my S5 because I wanted a higher ride height.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not saying drop it down to S4 or S5 ride height, but maybe ROW SQ5 ride height. Still plenty of ground clearance. The ROW SQ5's are about 1.5" lower than the US spec, just because the US spec has to comply with the "light truck" designation.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

WTF are you serious I'm about to purchase SQ5 next week and your telling theirs no dedicated buttons for next/previous track on a steering wheel! Could someone else please confirm this! How in world is this possible 2016 I've had older Audi's MB and BMW with this function.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pfgray2008
WTF are you serious I'm about to purchase SQ5 next week and your telling theirs no dedicated buttons for next/previous track on a steering wheel! Could someone else please confirm this! How in world is this possible 2016 I've had older Audi's MB and BMW with this function.
Unfortunately it's true - here's image from audi.ca website:

You can use left thumbwheel to switch tracks (when you turn it - it will display a list of tracks and is focused on current one, so you can turn it to select a different one and confirm it by pushing on the thumbwheel), but like I said - no dedicated buttons for next/previous. To be fair I already can easily find next/previous **** on a center console without looking there and switch tracks, so this isn't such a serious issue IMHO.

Last edited by asmi84; 11-13-2015 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

As shown above, you don't need dedicated buttons for previous and next track. The thumbwheel on the left, when activated, brings up a list of tracks that you can scroll up or down to see and then press thumbwheel to play it. Much better than next track buttons as you can actually see what you are going to play. Why click though 10 tracks when you can scroll quickly through them to get to the track you want?

Quick Reply: SQ5 pro-tips & advice