Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 nightmare story

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 03:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is going back a ways, but I had an issue with an early model A4; a vibration problem the day I picked it up that the dealer couldn't resolve. They brought in the regional experts etc and after a week decided to replace the car. Once that decision was made, it went like clockwork. They found an exact replacement, had it shipped in, took care of all paperwork with registration, insurance, lender, etc. All I had to do was go pick it up.

Good luck and I hope that you're in you're new SQ5 soon.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TopCarbon
This is going back a ways, but I had an issue with an early model A4; a vibration problem the day I picked it up that the dealer couldn't resolve. They brought in the regional experts etc and after a week decided to replace the car. Once that decision was made, it went like clockwork. They found an exact replacement, had it shipped in, took care of all paperwork with registration, insurance, lender, etc. All I had to do was go pick it up.

Good luck and I hope that you're in you're new SQ5 soon.
I guess the difference here is that the Dealer (NJ) and the Service Center (NY) are 2 different outlets - and then you got Audi (AoA) who is also involved.

So where do you start that conversation - someone suggested Regional Manager - which would be AoA right?
Old 02-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just worked with the dealer. The sales manager brought in the owner and acted as my advocate. I suppose it all comes down to the individuals involved, but issues like this make or break a dealers reputation. I can't see why they wouldn't want you to be a happy customer and step up to help you out. If the owner of the dealership made one call to AoA, I'd think they could make things happen quickly.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

14 days means the dealer, and Audi's dealer support, are both stumped.

You probably got a "lemon law book" with your delivery papers. Read it over, or call you local consumer protection department, and try to do whatever it says you have to do to "lemon law" the car and have it replaced with another one if that's at all possible.

If there's something so peculiar about that car that Audi can't figure it out after two weeks...that's frightening. Since it means Audi doesn't understand something that's probably in all the Q5s.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mannelito
I guess the difference here is that the Dealer (NJ) and the Service Center (NY) are 2 different outlets - and then you got Audi (AoA) who is also involved.

So where do you start that conversation - someone suggested Regional Manager - which would be AoA right?
I would call AOA customer service again and ask for it to be escalated and that you want to talk to a supervisor. I've had success in past years by getting to someone with more authority than the first tier folks. It's going to come down to someone at AOA making the decision at the end of the day anyway. Even a regional manager can't authorize an exchange w/o someone higher up at AOA giving the approval. Be reasonable and polite but also be firm and persistent. Under the circumstances, it's time to get them moving off the dime. Even if they can get it fixed to your satisfaction, you should be able to get some remuneration for the inconvenience and trouble.
If you want, PM me and I'll fill you in on what I've done and received in past years.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"The NJ Lemon Law also applies to vehicles that are in the shop for repair twenty (20) or more calendar days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles (whichever comes first), and those which have a serious defect which could cause bodily harm or death that is not fixed after one repair attempt."

It might pay to do nothing, tell the dealer, verbally, "No hurry, no problem" and see if you can get the 20-day clock to toll. At that point Audi's options become limited and a replacement is more likely. And if you're counting 20 business days...President's Day may or may not be one. "Business days" might include Saturday if the shop was open and working, too.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

SO - this story finally came to a very happy ending. After finding the issue (one of the 2 camshafts where out of sync with a millisecond, making the engine out of sync (something like that)). Audi stepped up to the plate - acknowledge the mechanic failure from the factory and decided to replace the car. Lucky for me, my dealer had a identical one in stock which Audi put me in. So here she is, just picked up a couple of hours ago - thanks to AoA - this is what a premium brand does for it's customers!

Old 05-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Clearly took a while, but I for one am very happy that they did step up to the plate and give you a brand new different car! Now go out and enjoy that beast!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Deep sigh of relief .... now go and enjoy this wonderful car. Steve
Old 05-03-2014, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny thing is, CELs are usually just an emissions issue, meaning you're putting a tad more pollution into the environment than is allowed. Has NOTHING to do with how the engine is performing, or reliability, or anything else. I had a constant one with my old Kia Sportage (best 4WD I've ever owned) and eventually a new gas cap solved the problem.

Quick Reply: SQ5 nightmare story