Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 mirror finish

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Oh, the metal finish. Sorry for the confusion, and yes, I'd have to agree the overall paint finish is quite nice on mine as well.

I suppose the metal finish is more like the Marx Brothers (A Night at the Opera) discussing what they do/don't like in the contract. Time for a specialty finishing shop to get you something truly custom and to your liking.

Would the engine cowling in the Spirit of Saint Louis have looked better with or without the engine-turned swirls? <G>
Sorry but it is "fake" metal made to look like brushed aluminum. Like I said the finish was way better on my 2010 S5 mirrors than my SQ5 mirrors now.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The carbon fiber shrouds on the RS7 mirrors are glorious.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my S-Cars in a darker colour to further accentuate the "aluminium" mirrors.... That said, I have to agree that the SQ5 mirrors are the most disappointing of all the S-Cars thus far.

As far as alternatives go, there may be an answer with the Q7 V12 TDI mirrors. I saw one of these in person @Ingolstadt a couple of years ago and the look is very convincing if not authentic.
My eyeballs tell me that the Q5 and Q7 share the same mirrors. I'm sure that someone (Spijun) can quickly confirm whether or not the mirror housings are interchangeable between the two models.
Part two to this would be cost.... Maybe more feasible to get a quality wrap instead?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JaXeN
I like my S-Cars in a darker colour to further accentuate the "aluminium" mirrors.... That said, I have to agree that the SQ5 mirrors are the most disappointing of all the S-Cars thus far.

As far as alternatives go, there may be an answer with the Q7 V12 TDI mirrors. I saw one of these in person @Ingolstadt a couple of years ago and the look is very convincing if not authentic.
My eyeballs tell me that the Q5 and Q7 share the same mirrors. I'm sure that someone (Spijun) can quickly confirm whether or not the mirror housings are interchangeable between the two models.
Part two to this would be cost.... Maybe more feasible to get a quality wrap instead?
Yes!! I will looking into a high end wrap place in Dallas. I am sure the audi mirrors are $$$$!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Q7 & Q5 share the same mirror housing. V12 Q7 came standard with Alu Matt mirror housing. Can be picked up on ebay fairly priced in my opinion ~ $370.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181033899657...ht_1731wt_1025

Originally Posted by JaXeN

Old 01-02-2014, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by besyugan
The Q7 & Q5 share the same mirror housing. V12 Q7 came standard with Alu Matt mirror housing. Can be picked up on ebay fairly priced in my opinion ~ $370.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181033899657...ht_1731wt_1025
Labor will cost double that if not more and the difference is barely noticeable sans close inspection. I'd say silver 3M Di-Noc would be a more cost effective, though less OEM looking option.
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2014, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

My 2014 S4's mirrors are "shiny/matte"; my wife's SQ5's mirrors are "matte/shiny," I assumed the reason was the larger size of the SQ's mirrors -- and if they were as shiny as the S4's could be (trying to reason like a German) a distraction or perhaps even "blind" another driver.

I am sure -- for money -- you can have the mirror's finish made more shiny. I too was hoping for a bit more glitz in the silver-finish. But, at this point, I don't think I'd pay to make them as shiny as my S4's.

Too, if you get the "black optics" package (whatever it is called) on the S4, the mirrors are painted body color, like the normal A4's.

I had always liked the shiny mirrors as an understated way to differentiate the S cars without resorting to "bling" like some companies do.

To each his/her own, I guess.

If you do have them made shinier, post some pics.