Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 with All Seasons?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 with All Seasons?

I tried searching this but there's a million tire posts. Does anyone know if you can request all seasons on the SQ5 rather than the summer tires at purchase? I don't want the hassle and extra expense of changing them after the fact.

There's typically not enough snow here to warrant full on snow tires but it does stay cold for several months and I know how bad summer tires can be in the cold. Plus they wear like crap.

BTW - I know it changes the handling, etc. I'm driving the car, not racing it so the difference isn't important to me.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ScubaJoe
I tried searching this but there's a million tire posts. Does anyone know if you can request all seasons on the SQ5 rather than the summer tires at purchase? I don't want the hassle and extra expense of changing them after the fact.

There's typically not enough snow here to warrant full on snow tires but it does stay cold for several months and I know how bad summer tires can be in the cold. Plus they wear like crap.

BTW - I know it changes the handling, etc. I'm driving the car, not racing it so the difference isn't important to me.
You sound like a very reasonable person and I agree with your views on tires for our trucks. I actually run A/S in the summer on all my cars, and run dedicated snows in the winter, but of course it's climate dependent, as well as targeted use. If you can't order it that way, perhaps the dealer will help you out?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. I'm still considering other brands so I don't want to bug the dealer just yet but I thought maybe this had either been addressed here before or someone had already gone down this path.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Which wheels are you looking at for the SQ5?

The 21" wheels look the best, but they are highly limited on tire choices. In fact, there are only 4 tires that fit the 21" wheels (and 3 of the 4 are summer tires, 1 of them is a winter tire). There are zero A/S tires that fit the 21" wheels.

If you get the 20" wheels, your options will open up somewhat. There are a number of A/S tires that will fit those wheels. Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 would be one of the better choices.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is no way to have your new SQ5 equipped with a tire other than a summer tire. They come with either the Pirelli's or Dunlops. That's it.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Some folks go up a size to 265/40/21 and Pirelli has Scorpion Verde All Season in that size.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would think you could sell the summers quite easily or do an exchange with the dealer ot better a good tire shop.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could compromise the other way and use all seasons in winter and summers in the summer. Get a smaller wheel for winter and enjoy a smoother ride that part of the year, then a sportier ride in the summer. Dual personality! Nokian also has their all weather WR3 tire.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by koobah
Some folks go up a size to 265/40/21 and Pirelli has Scorpion Verde All Season in that size.
Those will fit the 21" OEM wheels?
Old 12-16-2015, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 55cadillacking
There is no way to have your new SQ5 equipped with a tire other than a summer tire. They come with either the Pirelli's or Dunlops. That's it.
Mine came with Goodyear summers. I had the dealer swop them out with the Michellin Pilot Sport A/S 3s. They have been great thus far, but I hear they don't wear very well.

Quick Reply: SQ5 with All Seasons?