Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sport seat aches anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport seat aches anyone?

Hey fellow SQ5 owners who have the sport seats.
I've just come back from a good 7 hour road trip to visit CN Tower & Niagara Falls.
I noticed (after about 3-4 hours of driving) a mild ache building up in the sides of my thighs from the firm raised edge of the sport seats.
Anyone else by chance experience this?
I'm 6ft 220lbs, i'm an avid kickboxer, so not sure if this is from slightly larger thighs or not.

Thanks in advance

Casey
Old 08-24-2015, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The sport seats are one of my favorite features of the Q5. I have a long commute, and find the seats very comfortable, although I haven't taken a trip >5 hours.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm also a big lad so I opted for the comfort seats over sport. Slightly more 'open plan' but not so 'hugging' as the sport seats but then I'm not going to be throwing myself around a racetrack in it! I find the comfort seats exceptionally comfortable. TBH I think 3-4 hours in any car is going to cause some aches and pains regardless of the seats!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an A4 with sport seats and my leg also starts to ache on longs trips. I just bought a SQ5 with comfort seats and they seem to fit my body style much better. I haven't taken along trip yet, only about of driving, but all has been good so far.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthValley
I'm also a big lad so I opted for the comfort seats over sport. Slightly more 'open plan' but not so 'hugging' as the sport seats but then I'm not going to be throwing myself around a racetrack in it! I find the comfort seats exceptionally comfortable. TBH I think 3-4 hours in any car is going to cause some aches and pains regardless of the seats!
I went for comfort seats as well, but for different reason - it's the only way to get ventilated seats.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have Sports Seats in my 2015 Q5, not a big guy, but drove 7 hours and had no butt fatigue...The Comfort seats seemed flat to me when I was trying to decide between them.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by asmi84
I went for comfort seats as well, but for different reason - it's the only way to get ventilated seats.
I hear ya!
Old 08-25-2015, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I knew I should have opted for the comfort seats, the Audi dealership didnt have a vehicle with comfort seats to test them out, I imagine my 15 hour drive to the east coast is gonna be interesting, oh well, the aches arent unbearable by any means, seeing as long distance drives arent frequent, the sport seats do hold you in place well, even though my thunder thighs ride the upper edge of the leg bolstering :-)
Thank you for all your input on this subject.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Yeah, the thigh support can definitely cause pain on long drives. I'm not as big as you, but I have the even more aggressively bolstered sport seats in the RS5. This is one reason I love the adaptive cruise control in my car, so on long trips I can lift my thighs off the seat and just cruise along. My longest trip so far was San Francisco to outside Santa Barbara for some great canyon carving in the mountains, then up to Monterey and back to San Francisco. All in one day. For those not familiar with CA, that was 12 hours of driving in one day. I left at 4am and was back around midnight. Other than being tired from having been up that long, I had no pains or fatigue.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-25-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SuperQkc
...I imagine my 15 hour drive to the east coast is gonna be interesting...
15 hours of driving? Wow! Anything over 4 hours for me is a flight and a rental!

Quick Reply: Sport seat aches anyone?