Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sirius traffic broken, tech support FAIL, only one ESN?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 with 2 ESNs. When I tried to reactivate my traffic, I had the same issue with TMC crossed out on my nav. Contacted Sirius and they are seriously clueless. After restarting my car about three times and sending the activation signal three times, the support person told me to go to the dealer. I was so frustrated at that point but decided to try one last thing. I reset my MMI (pressing the 3 button: setup, the center **** button, and the right corner button) and lo and behold I started receiving traffic information after couple of minutes. Hopefully this helps someone.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rzelman
You do realize that the cost of the traffic subscription is $3.99/mo. I realize you feel the traffic should have been included, but in the grand scheme of owning your Q5, <$50 per year is small change.
If you get a 2 year subscription it is even less! I think i paid $72 or $78 for the two year deal.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mmsun
After several hours at the dealer, they could not get traffic to turn on after several attempts including disconnecting the battery and starting from scratch.

They said they need to get help from Audi as they are puzzled why audio works but not data(traffic). I will need to go back again after they get some guidance.
Turns out it was a Sirius issue. They account needed to be reset up for a single ESN number even thought they thought it was coded correctly. What a huge effort this took to get traffic working again. I guess this will make it easier for folks who follow since clearly Sirius is still learning how to handle the 2011 models.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My traffic was finally fixed yesterday evening.

1. The traffic feed absolutely comes from Sirius Traffic, and not from an RDS feed as I was told early on in this process.

2. It was indeed a Sirius issue. But, it required Audi and Sirius to work together. My one ESN was only set up in Sirius' system to only handle audio, and it took both Audi and Sirius to work together in updating that capability to also include data.

3. The escalation tech called me at 6pm yesterday. He had to resend the activation signal to my car. He mentioned that once they get a confirmation from Audi on the capabilities, they then have to contact the customer with the issue. So, don' expect Sirius to be proactive; you have to force the issue through both Sirius and Audi.

4. My traffic is now reset back to the 90-day trial. The tech mentioned that, when the trial is close to over, I'll get letters stating I would need to update to a subscription. At that time, there should be no problem upgrading to an official subscription.

I tested it out and all is back to normal. I hope this helps the rest of you out there.

Originally Posted by mmsun
Turns out it was a Sirius issue. They account needed to be reset up for a single ESN number even thought they thought it was coded correctly. What a huge effort this took to get traffic working again. I guess this will make it easier for folks who follow since clearly Sirius is still learning how to handle the 2011 models.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And to add insult to injury, today I received a survey allowing me to rate sirius. It said it would take approximately 25 minutes! Two minutes, maybe, but no way will I let them take 25 minutes of my precious time. Not only incompetent but presumptuous too. What gall.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sirius..

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
And to add insult to injury, today I received a survey allowing me to rate sirius. It said it would take approximately 25 minutes! Two minutes, maybe, but no way will I let them take 25 minutes of my precious time. Not only incompetent but presumptuous too. What gall.
Yeah, I have had very bad experience with Sirius. First time of 1+ hours to activate radio, they reversed the esns with the traffic/radio, nothing worked, I can understand that (I guess) but the accounting department, wow. Many issues with them, the latest one was the they 'lost' my cc charge for the renewal. I could go online and see it, but they couldn't - after speaking with a manger-manager (two up) found out that they billed the CC but never applied the cash to the account, so it was in a bucket, just not applied. I was given a 6-month free deal before the activation came on - you guessed it, the 6 months ended and then they had no account of the initial charge again. I'd estimate 4-5 hours on the phone with sirius since 6-2009 when I got the vehicle. I am going to do the lifetime deal next so that I am done with them. What is funny is that my wife's audi is on XM and never had an issue with them, only the sirius side of the house.

Don't know how a business survives with an accounting department as f*ed up as they are...
Old 12-13-2010, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sams2618
My traffic was finally fixed yesterday evening.

1. The traffic feed absolutely comes from Sirius Traffic, and not from an RDS feed as I was told early on in this process.

2. It was indeed a Sirius issue. But, it required Audi and Sirius to work together. My one ESN was only set up in Sirius' system to only handle audio, and it took both Audi and Sirius to work together in updating that capability to also include data.

3. The escalation tech called me at 6pm yesterday. He had to resend the activation signal to my car. He mentioned that once they get a confirmation from Audi on the capabilities, they then have to contact the customer with the issue. So, don' expect Sirius to be proactive; you have to force the issue through both Sirius and Audi.

4. My traffic is now reset back to the 90-day trial. The tech mentioned that, when the trial is close to over, I'll get letters stating I would need to update to a subscription. At that time, there should be no problem upgrading to an official subscription.

I tested it out and all is back to normal. I hope this helps the rest of you out there.
Practically the identical scenario here this past Friday as well. Finally got Sirius, best of XM and traffic all back online and working. Got a full credit for all charges to this point and another 90 days free for all the hassle.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, your best bet is to contact Audi directly and escalate through them. It was only after doing that when Sirius finally called me back... almost 2 months since my initial report of a problem. Fun times.

Anyway... it's finally working for me as well, so chin up if you're still having problems. It appears they finally figured out how to fix it.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Sirius - Traffic

Are others still experiencing this issue? I know some time has passed...Has anyone had any trouble renewing their Sirius Traffic subscription after the trial period? I've spent countless hours with Sirius customer service...to no avail. In the current state, I have access to all Sirius audio channels...but when I select the INFO button I don't get any of the traffic data for the Navigation system. I had traffic during the trial period...but Sirius says that there's no "package" that allows me to use a single ESN for both Audio (radio) & Data (traffic) packages. I'm so freaking frustrated with Sirius...it takes effort to be that bad at customer service!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is not good news. My trial period is going to end in less than 2 weeks and I really want both.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished with Sirius support. First, don't bother with the first customer service person you speak with, they will, inevitably, not know what they are doing, ask for a supervisor. After speaking with a supervisor, I learned that Sirius is aware of the one ESN for 2011 Audi, Ford, and other vehicles, and they have subsequently created a "package" for those vehicles with one ESN that wish to retain both radio and traffic. The package runs around $190/year, and there are no discounts whatsoever for vehicles with one ESN wishing to retain both services. I questioned this to no end, and spoke to multiple people, they are unwavering in the $190/year package price. The only discount would be a multi-vehicle discount of around $40 off the second vehicle package. I setup both our A4 and Q5.

I also managed to get a concerned supervisor that asked for the website address where Audi customers were complaining about poor Sirius customer service regarding one ESNs. He said he would investigate, and pass the information on to the training department. I directed him to Audiworld.com and specifically this thread.

I hope this helps those with one ESN Audis.

Quick Reply: Sirius traffic broken, tech support FAIL, only one ESN?