Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Should I trade for a Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Should I trade for a Q5?

My S5 lease is up at the end of this year. We need something with 4 doors that can haul things. I've done all my research and it seems the Q5 is one of the best SUVs on the market, even though it is somewhat dated. For me, I still like the exterior looks and the interior is no different than my S5. I don't need all the new "bells and whistles" like the big nav screen between the gages, and the interior is nicely appointed. I think the current layout is perfectly fine.

I'm leaning toward the Q5 3.0t or the SQ5. I'm sure the SQ5 would give me the performance I'm used to with my S5. I don't really want to go with the 2017 first-year model, especially made in Mexico.

Should I go for it? Any other SUVs I should be considering? I know this is a Q5 forum, but I thought I'd ask. Seems like most in here love their Q5s but are also open to other brands.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, 4 doors and can haul things. I recently helped a friend buy a new, gosh please don't shoot me for suggesting this, Subaru Forester XT 2.0. Too REI granola for ya?

What about the Mazda CX-5? Mazda CX-5 Reviews - Mazda CX-5 Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver
Old 03-11-2016, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kreativecid
Hmmm, 4 doors and can haul things. I recently helped a friend buy a new, gosh please don't shoot me for suggesting this, Subaru Forester XT 2.0. Too REI granola for ya?

What about the Mazda CX-5? Mazda CX-5 Reviews - Mazda CX-5 Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver
No question, I like the CX-5, but I should have mentioned that I am also looking for "premium" service, including loaners. I get it from Audi and Infiniti (with our G37 Vert). I had an '06 MX-5 (Miata) and the Mazda service departments seemed to be stuck in the '90s.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Have you looked at the new MB GLC? Also, the new Caddy XT5 CUV is intriguing to me, but I'm not comfortable with the brand for some reason. Granted, the Q5 is a bit dated in some areas, but overall has held up well. Ill be trading mine in for something different later in the year. No new model for me.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you looking at new or used Q5's? The TDI prices are really down and you get the power plus fuel economy. I've been trying to find another one for my wife, but no one wants to give us anything on trade for our TDI Passat. I'm hoping VW gives some type of diminished value settlement, but the TDI prices will probably go back up.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryT
Are you looking at new or used Q5's? The TDI prices are really down and you get the power plus fuel economy. I've been trying to find another one for my wife, but no one wants to give us anything on trade for our TDI Passat. I'm hoping VW gives some type of diminished value settlement, but the TDI prices will probably go back up.
Used 2014 Q5 TDI's are scarce, at least in my area. There are 4 for sale within a 500 mile radius of my city. Dealer tries to buy them from his customer base but nobody wants to give them up. He gets calls all the time from folks wanting a used Q5 TDI. There is a fella wanting mine.....I'd sell it for full retail if I had something else to get into. No new A4's yet, haven't driven the eTron which also is of some interest to me.

VW TDI prices are probably diminishing, as they'll take the brunt of the situation.

Last edited by soonerfan; 03-12-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

OP, why not just go to the dealer and test drive the SQ5...I'm certain it'll put a grin on your face and give you a similar feel to the B8 S4. But if you are looking to spend more $$ for perhaps a bit more punch, go for the Macan. Personally I'd save the $$ and take the SQ5.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Used Q5 TDI's are scarce, at least in my area. There are 4 for sale within a 500 mile radius of my city. Dealer tries to buy them from his customer base but nobody wants to give them up. He gets calls all the time from folks wanting a used Q5 TDI. There is a fella wanting mine.....I'd sell it for full retail if I had something else to get into. No new A4's yet, haven't driven the eTron which also is of some interest to me.

VW TDI prices are probably diminishing, as they'll take the brunt of the situation.
There were 16 on Autotrader within 500 miles of my house about 1 month ago, but it's down to 7 now. There are two 2014 TDI premium plus models cheap. One is $26k and the other is $28k, but most are in the low to mid $30k range.

Last edited by BarryT; 03-12-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Autotrader shows 26 used TDI's within 500 miles from me.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm looking for a new one and seriously leaning toward an SQ5, with the TDI a possibility as well. I don't care that it's dated. It looks better than a lot of the new SUVs with styling that is trying too hard, and I still think the interior looks first rate. Audis typically have timeless styling, and this one is no exception.

BTW, we will also be trading our G37 Vert for a '15 or '16 S5 Cab when the lease is up. Again, a dated design but one that has held up well. I owned '10 and '11 S5 Cabs and they are great cars. Also, the interior, MMI and switchgear will be familiar between the two vehicles.

Last edited by dseag2; 03-12-2016 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I trade for a Q5?