Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Second Q5 Purchase- What engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Q5 Purchase- What engine?

Didn't have the 2.0 engine choice when we purchased our 2010 Q5. Now researching the 2011 Q5 --as an option to replace a Grand Cherokee that is coming off lease next month. I love the bigger engine, but the price of the 2.0 meets our budget needs. Hate the thought of buying another car that isn't an Audi. We love our Q5!!

Looking for feedback from other 2.0 Q5 owners. Would you recommend the smaller engine? Really wish there was a diesel option.

Also, has anyone used the owner loyality discount? Current offer is $1500 to current audi owners.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I did it again now I would go 2.0t without thinking twice. When I bought the 3.2 the 2.0t's were just starting to arrive and they were all loaded. Didn't want to wait for a month or two.

I used the owner loyalty discount, why wouldn't you?
Old 11-23-2010, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

We ended up going with the 2.0t after a test drive. A month into ownership and we have zero regrets.

My A6 has a 3.2 so I originally looked at the 3.2, but wanted the better gas mileage the 2.0 offered in the Q5 (wife's car). I actually like the 2.0t better when cruising around town.

We ended up trading in our Jeep Grand Cherokee and got 1500 loyalty.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I test drove both and strongly recommend the 2.0T. The 3.2 IMO was not appreciably faster for daily driving, though it did sound beautiful in comparison to the 4 cylinder rumble. The fuel efficiency difference speaks for itself, and for me, that was quite a compelling value proposition for the 2.0T. If you're really thirsty for power, the 2.0T has some nice tuning options available.

With that said, the new X3 is worth a bit of a look -- I found its pricing and option tiers to be insulting personally (grouping expected $40k luxury SUV features into expensive option groups full of other stuff I don't want), but power and efficiency wise, the X3 provides some interesting competition to the Q5.

(BIAS: After test driving, I've got pending orders for both an A4 and a Q5, 2.0T)
Old 11-24-2010, 03:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Owner Loyality and Pricing

Originally Posted by Minnesota_Audi
We ended up going with the 2.0t after a test drive. A month into ownership and we have zero regrets.

My A6 has a 3.2 so I originally looked at the 3.2, but wanted the better gas mileage the 2.0 offered in the Q5 (wife's car). I actually like the 2.0t better when cruising around town.

We ended up trading in our Jeep Grand Cherokee and got 1500 loyalty.
Sounds like a very similar scenario for us, except we don't have a trade. I'm pleased to hear that most responses are in favor of the 2.0- a few more questions to my fellow Q5 owners regarding the 2.0:

1. Were you able to purchase the 2.0 at invoice price? Research indicates this model is in great demand, harder to locate with your preferred options and dealers are holding onto the profit. We were lucky to purchase the 2010 at invoice.
2. Did you order your 2.0? If so, how long did the vehicle take to arrive? Don't really want the extra "stuff" on the vehicle that most dealers add on.
3. What about depreciation? I read an article online stating that the Audi brand has one of the highest deprecriation rates. Something like 65% in the first 18 months. Thoughts?

Looks like the 2.0 Q5 is at the top of our list. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I specifically waited for the 2.0T to show up in the Q5 and couldn't be happier with it. Leaving on my first highway trip in a few hours. I'll let you know our mileage results next week.
Jeff
Old 11-24-2010, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5ACK
Didn't have the 2.0 engine choice when we purchased our 2010 Q5. Now researching the 2011 Q5 --as an option to replace a Grand Cherokee that is coming off lease next month. I love the bigger engine, but the price of the 2.0 meets our budget needs. Hate the thought of buying another car that isn't an Audi. We love our Q5!!

Looking for feedback from other 2.0 Q5 owners. Would you recommend the smaller engine? Really wish there was a diesel option.

Also, has anyone used the owner loyality discount? Current offer is $1500 to current audi owners.
Why would you want 2 Q5 in your driveway? I would look at other Audi models or at least wait for the Hybrid or 3.0T Q5.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Q7 has been around since mid 06. We have seen plenty of pre-owned cars arrive on the forum in that time. The general experience has been that prices hold up better than expected.
The uptake of the Q5 in the US has been much faster than Q7. It seems to fit even better with a broader spectrum. Based on that and the fact that so many here had to order to get the spec they wanted due to high sales volume at dealerships makes me think the resale will hold up every bit as well if not better than Q7.
The prices on pre-owned or CPO, last years stock at dealers and trade ins again point towards much higher than 65% depreciation in 18 months.

Do those figures include places like Ireland where we are ripped off by the Govmnt (charging 20% import duty and then taxing the duty as well at 21%) and dealerships to such an extent that the dep is much greater?

PS. run with the 2.0 as the 3.2 is being phased out anyway. Resale likely to be better long term.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5ACK
Sounds like a very similar scenario for us, except we don't have a trade. I'm pleased to hear that most responses are in favor of the 2.0- a few more questions to my fellow Q5 owners regarding the 2.0:

1. Were you able to purchase the 2.0 at invoice price? Research indicates this model is in great demand, harder to locate with your preferred options and dealers are holding onto the profit. We were lucky to purchase the 2010 at invoice.
I purchased through the supplier program which gives me 6% off MSRP, and then because I am purchasing two Audis one week apart, the later shipped one qualifies for the $1500 loyalty discount. This put the price a little bit below invoice.

But indeed this is a ridiculously popular car. Talking to my salesman, he said the dealership barely had enough allotments to let everyone that wants the car put one into the system. So I wouldn't be surprised if they don't budge too much on haggling.

2. Did you order your 2.0? If so, how long did the vehicle take to arrive? Don't really want the extra "stuff" on the vehicle that most dealers add on.
I ordered a 2.0 P+ with B&O at the start of November. My salesman changed an order placed at the end of September, and my delivery date is 12/27. Your mileage may really vary -- I've heard March before.

3. What about depreciation? I read an article online stating that the Audi brand has one of the highest deprecriation rates. Something like 65% in the first 18 months. Thoughts?
I researched depreciation rates of the german luxury brands and found them more or less comparable (biggest difference is like 10%). That's just the nature of these cars -- new cars keep changing and they're always loaded with fancy gizmos. If you care about depreciation, this is probably the wrong brand
Old 11-24-2010, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Audi A4

Originally Posted by The G Man
Why would you want 2 Q5 in your driveway? I would look at other Audi models or at least wait for the Hybrid or 3.0T Q5.
Would consider another Audi Model- but will need a replacement vehicle in early 2011. The A4 is an option, but reviews are mixed. Was surprised to learn that all-wheel drive is not standard on the A4. I thought all Audi models had AWD. The Q5 reviews are stellar compared to the other models.

Any Q5 owners also have an A4- newer model-2010 or 2011? If so, what are your thoughts?

Quick Reply: Second Q5 Purchase- What engine?