Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rust marks inside (ceiling, near front doors)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its all taken from posts on the forum since Q7 launch in 2006 and likewise Q5. I/we just keep adding stuff as it gets posted. It can fall behind a bit as I enter it offline in excel then opdate teh online doc. Its open and live, you/anyone can add your own data/create your own entry by just adding another entry at the bottom. After I match them up I resort.
I found 27 but they were all MY 2007.
If you change to list view or download it to excel you can play with it more. Any changes you make in normal view changes it for everyone.

I hope you got to look at the other pages as well. There is a lot more info/links re DIY, part numnbers and TSB there too.

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope you can get more use from it.

I use Ctrl F to search the excel but its not as good in the google doc as it doesnt return text in urls.

EDIT I spend so much time looking in so many threads and profiles, they made me a mod! It just means i SPEND MORE TIME looking in reported threads and posts on forums I dont even use. (That and I get an edit button on everyones posts. And a kill switch lol)

Last edited by Jusforfun; 07-17-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: add edit
Old 07-17-2012, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Justforfun,

I am pretty sure that it is not a residue from the factory. Looking at the picture, it may seem so because it looks like a "regular" shape, but my picture really fail to show the bigger "circle" of water leak, very similar to what you see on gypsum walls when water appears. It is brownish on the outer edge and goes in a "cloud-like" shape. If that makes sense. I'll try to take a better picture tomorrow.

What I suspect, is that water is slowly leaking, which explains why it doesn't DRIP inside the car. And I suspect that the rectangular shape is a sticker that is inside the fabric, and that attracted/absorbed the water, and with the mix of water and the glue from that sticker, it got the brownish colour.

Again, I'll know for sure soon (or not!). But I am now less confident that it is a rust issue (my Acura Integra didn't have 1 spot of rust after 10 years... how can a high end car have rust after 10 months!!), and probably water infiltration, and the brown colour is probably the water picking up some of the grease or other lubricant along the way.

Now, what I wonder, is if they will take responsibility. It is not like the mechanics at the dealer**** around the corner has any clue how to fix a DESIGN issue.. will this be reported back in Germany (?!?)... or will he just say "it's all fix" and not do a thing.

I also wonder if I will be able to get them to REPLACE the fabric on the celling...?? I suspect that cosmetic changes are not under warranty.. but what is a mechanical/design problem causes cosmetic defects..???
Old 07-17-2012, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is a leak they should be able to find it and if that leak caused staining to any interior fabric then Audi will repair or replace. That's the way it works.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Guys,

Ok, after almost 4 hours waiting at the dealer**** (apparently there was a software update to do on my transmission software, and they tried to blame it on the speed of the internet connection with Audi. Were they downloading 10GB of stuff?!? I have my doubts) I got the verdict:

At first they said they thought it was a stain done by me. However, after opening the ceiling (and doing water tests?) they admitted that the problem was with the moonroof (something to do with tightening the gaskets). I left the car with then for the afternoon. They also agreed that if they were unable to clean the stained fabric (which was possibly stained by grease+water, and so possibly it is NOT rust...) they will replace the fabric.

Now, my concern it that I don't know where the water went for that whole year there was a leak. Will this water have rusted inside parts that I cannot see, and will cause problem in a few years..? I guess there is no way to know .

PS: The title of this thread should probably be changed to talk about leak in the moonroof and not rust anymore.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Your 2012 Q will most likely be in soon enough to replace the self exploding panoroof that has been recalled. Hope they don't cause another leak.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the tip. Just read about that in another thread. I asked the dealer to check if my pano roof was being recalled and if so to do the replacement.

Anyway, they will keep the car for the whole day today AND tomorrow.. apparently they have to completely remove the back seats also.

I am happy that I didn't have to argue to get this looked into and fixed.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Great, I have the exact same problem and the dealer told me it was just dirty! I guess I will be bringing it back in and telling them what I found out of this forum. I want proof its not leaking now.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Quick update: The dealer called me back last Friday to tell me that they may need to keep the car for a whole week after all. It wasn't just a matter of just tightening the gaskets as they first thought.

It seems they will be changing the whole interior ceiling, as well as other parts of my pano roof.

I am glad they took the issue seriously and immediately took the steps to fix the issue. Good job, Audi and thank you.

Here is a link to a few pictures of what the car looks at the moment...
http://imgur.com/a/OGzJn
Old 07-23-2012, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Ouch! Just imagine if they had to do that twice because of the 2012 roof recall due out in early August. Hopefully all will turn out well.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, well, well. I received in the mail today a notice from Audi, informing me that there was a recall on my sunroof... and that they'd be replacing it (obivously it doesn't apply to me anymore, since the dealer already made the replacement).

Quick Reply: Rust marks inside (ceiling, near front doors)