Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rust marks inside (ceiling, near front doors)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust marks inside (ceiling, near front doors)

Hi All,

I own a 2012 Q5 that is not yet 1 year old. Yesterday, as I was sitting on the passenger seat for the first time, I noticed a yellowist/orangist/brownist spot, similar to what you would see in the ceiling or near a window of a house who had water infiltration. Then, I saw a clearly brown rectangle. The attached picture shows the rectangle, but the flash prevents from clearly seeing the yellowist round spot all around, which seems to indicate that water has been slowly dripping in that area.

There was a similar spot on the other side of the car, still in the front section, on the top, near the driver's window.

I cannot be positive it is rust, but clearly water has been coming in. The car does not have 10 000km on it, and it is always parked in an INSIDE garage at night, so it hasn't even seen much rain or snow.

Has anyone else seen something similar? Any idea on how much fighting I will have to do with the Audi dealership? Also, I wanted to demand that when they open the ceiling to "inspect", I want to be able to go see how it looks inside, as well as take pictures before they fix or clean ANYTHING. Any idea on my chances of this happening?

Thanks

Rust marks inside (ceiling, near front doors)-cn3u2.jpg
Old 07-17-2012, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got one or two of those two and I had previously mentioned it at my 5,000 mile "service" and they didn't even get back to me on it. I am close to my 15k service and I am curious to see what it is. I tried using upholstery cleaner and even so far as Goo Gone but nothing could touch it. I had my car outside though at college, but not all the time and not in bad weather. I wonder if there is a seal issue around the sunroof, unless your Q5 doesn't have one.

I would definitely tell the dealership, but I don't know if they would charge you for opening up the whole interior roof. When I took mine in, they just tried to get rid of the stain and it did not work, so if they try that don't expect the stain to go away, unless your dealership has some new amazing cleaner.

- Andy
Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AWallace45
I got one or two of those two and I had previously mentioned it at my 5,000 mile "service" and they didn't even get back to me on it. I am close to my 15k service and I am curious to see what it is. I tried using upholstery cleaner and even so far as Goo Gone but nothing could touch it. I had my car outside though at college, but not all the time and not in bad weather. I wonder if there is a seal issue around the sunroof, unless your Q5 doesn't have one.

I would definitely tell the dealership, but I don't know if they would charge you for opening up the whole interior roof. When I took mine in, they just tried to get rid of the stain and it did not work, so if they try that don't expect the stain to go away, unless your dealership has some new amazing cleaner.

- Andy
2nd - expect it is a leak from the sunroof
Old 07-17-2012, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Actually, you are correct, I do have a MOONROOF.

But don't think I'll ask them to clean the stains. I already mentioned that I wanted them to open the ceiling, and I want to be there to see what is happening (and take pictures) and they seemed ok with it. I'll know soon enough, my appointment is in 2 days.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

have the same marks on my ride at less than 15K miles. The rusty marks are on the both sides of the ceiling on top of the back seats. I thought it was some crusty fingers of my passengers but this posting verifies otherwise. pls do keep us updated on how the dealership handles this. thx!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by AWallace45
I got one or two of those two and I had previously mentioned it at my 5,000 mile "service" and they didn't even get back to me on it.... ...I had my car outside though at college, but not all the time and not in bad weather...
- Andy
Wow, these leak defects are unbelievable. Cars are normally designed to BE outside! Leaks like this are unacceptable on a ten year old car. On a ONE year old car it is just mind boggling! Audi (VWAG) should devote a department to water ingress prevention, as much as they have paid out over the years on settlements! This is exactly why I am not buying a new Audi. I'd love to have a Q7. But if they still haven't figured out how to properly seal their cars against the rain, I'm out.
Disclaimer: I currently own a 2004 A8 which leaks occasionally, and a '98 Passat (B5) I bought new and which was subject to a service campaign to modify the sunroof drains.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
I'd love to have a Q7. But if they still haven't figured out how to properly seal their cars against the rain, I'm out.
News to me! What problems with the Q7 Sunroof? I just searched the spreadsheet back to 2009 and the only one single sunroof fault I found was a rattle!
Are you sure you are not just reading recent complaints about MY2007? OR a case where the OP has not clearly identified his car as MY2007?

I am pretty sure they have "properly sealed the Q7 against the rain" long ago.

It is possible that I missed out on reading a thread or a revisited thread in 6 years but cmon its unlikely isnt it?
Old 07-17-2012, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suspect it is a mark left by some assembly apperatus or resin stain from same. Leaks are generally wet and water does not just sit in one patch on a headliner, it runs... usually downhill. IE check the floor.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
...I just searched the spreadsheet back to 2009 and the only one single sunroof fault I found was a rattle!...
At the risk of sounding contentious, what spreadsheet were you perusing? Do you actually keep statistics on the defects reported here? (not like that would be a bad thing)!
> > edit, I see it now in your sig (rolleyes)
As for my statement regarding the Q7 specifically; I meant that I was considering buying a Q7, not that I have evidence the Q7 is deficient in water handling (beyond the well-documented fact that VWAG products have a history of water ingress). These problems with other Audis cause me significant consternation when I am looking at investing nearly 100 large in a new car.
I sincerely hope you are right, that Audi has figured out a way to seal out the confounded rain, because I love the A8 so much (leaks and all) I do not know what car can follow it if/when it needs replacement!
Bumpersticker idea: "I'd rather drive a leaky Audi than a dry BMW!" OK, never mind.
PS JusForFun, I commend you on your nation's delectable distilled beverages!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Jusforfun, who the hell are you that you have that huge database of Audis??

Seriously, that is encouraging! Thanks!

-Tom

PS Edit, I found twelve sunroof leaks on your Q7 spreadsheet under "Body F". Your spreadsheet itself is quite impressive.

Last edited by aTOMic; 07-17-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Rust marks inside (ceiling, near front doors)