Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

The reliability...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The reliability...

Hi all
I'm looking for a new family car, and was leaning towards the 2011 Q5 with the 2.0, I've driven it, and I really like almost all aspects of the vehicle.
There's just one problem.
I've always had concerns with Audi's reliability, I've constantly heard horror stories. So I've come to you guys. I was hoping a large number of owners could give me some sort of picture, as to how reliable the car is. How often is it in the shop? What's usually the trouble area? How many miles do you have on it? Any feedback is appreciated.
I also understand that the 2011 is supposed to be more reliable than previous models, could anybody give me insight as to why that is.

Thanks in advance

-Eric
Old 07-19-2010, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Search this forum and read what has been said regarding many aspects of the Q5. I, personally love this car,probably the best I've owned in the last 40 years, bar none. No issues at all! A small minority may disagree but for the most part folks here really like the car. You will hear "concerns" with any car. Cheers and Happy Hunting!
Old 07-19-2010, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Go here:

http://www.truedelta.com/

check it out for yourself. I am a participant in the Audi Q5 section with ZERO issues so far.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have owned only Audi (3 A4 and my current Q5) over the past 12 years. So far I have been free of any major issues. Take a look around the Forum and I think you'll get a pretty good feel for the problems, if any people have had.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only 1 real issue so far-tailgate switch was sticky. Replaced under warranty and it's fine now. Great car!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

The only issue after 10000Km was the rear view mirror that stopped working during the first week. It got replaced quickly by the dealer.

I also had concerns before ordering my Q5. My only experience with German cars was with a VW Fox several years ago. This car was soooooooo bad! But now I can say that, to this date, my Q5 is the new car I had the least trouble with.

Martin
Old 07-20-2010, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

just remember, it is the vocal MINORITY that like to vent in public.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Had a 2009 Q5 (bought withing the first month of their debut) and had many problems. From the small issues to the larger, check engine issues. Was in the shop a lot, for days at a time. Steering, engine coil, seat issues, paint defect issue, the list goes on.

Got myself into a 2010 and have had zero issues so far. Going on 4 months and just over 4000 miles, and not a single thing, it's like a whole different animal, even in the way it drives. I think I just got that first batch that just had some issues. Couldn't be happier now.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default My early 2009 has had almost no issues, never been in shop.

Originally Posted by FitzLA
Had a 2009 Q5 (bought withing the first month of their debut) and had many problems. From the small issues to the larger, check engine issues. Was in the shop a lot, for days at a time. Steering, engine coil, seat issues, paint defect issue, the list goes on.
I also have a very early 2009 build, purchased a week or two earlier than Fitz. Fortunately, I've never had any of Fitz's problems, never any downtime in the shop.

My issues? None really worth mentioning, but in the interest of full disclosure, here are details:

In about the second month, audio had a random one time speaker glitch. This corrected itself on restart, and has never happened again.

First time I unpacked and put on the roof rack, I noticed one bracket was cracked, apparently damaged in transit. Dealer very quickly gave me a new rack, under warranty.

My Q5 does have a slight, but noticable, very low speed front wheel shudder. I understand this is common to most A4's and 2009 Q5's, although some owners never feel it. I usually notice it only when turning to enter or exit my garage, or a parking space. It's not much to complain about, I can easily live with it, but Audi has come up with a fix (new power steering hose/bracket design) suppose to be available soon.

Otherwise, nothing else at all, period! So far one of the best handling and reliable vehicles I've ever owned.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My steering issue was actually a much larger issue. When at highway speeds, even if I just tapped the brake, I would get a violent vibration in the steering wheel. They tried to fix and it never got resolved. But I have not heard of anyone else complain of that issue, so it may just be an isolated case rather than the norm.

Quick Reply: The reliability...