Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

rear view mirror fell off windshield

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried a glue kit on car I had. It lasted only a couple of weeks before it fell off again. Let the dealer do it, warranty work.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NMW1982
I'd rather get a brand new windshield and mirror than a shoddily made one that's glued back together.
Yeah let's go for the overkill! Would you like a whole new door if your window rattles too?
Old 11-24-2010, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Or trade in your car once it needs an oil change

Unless Audi have some industrial secert glue they use for the bracket, the window shop can do as good a job as Audi.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree, I would rather glue the bracket back on than to replace the windshield, sometimes the seals are just not as good when you replace the windshield.
+1
Old 11-30-2010, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Conclusion...

I called dealer at about 0745 for my 0800 appointment to be sure he had the new windshield. He did and said he had a loaner all set up.

I dropped my Q5 off and met with him. He assured me they would do a good job and it would be as good as new. I told him I still didn't like the fact that the entire windshield needed replacing to re-attach the mirror.

He then said he didn't have an Audi for a loaner. It's a joint VW dealer so I was expecting at least a VW. He showed me an old dirty Chrysler with dirty cloth seats and even had broken switches. I took one look and said this won't do. He asked if I could reschedule. I said sure, I leave for Dubai the next day so I'd keep your loaner for a few extra days. He said he'd talk to the service manager.

After this negotiating, they found a 2011 A4 loaner. He apologized for the hassle and said he didn't appreciate his boss embarrassing him like that. I told him this is one of the reasons I bought a new Audi, to have the warranty and an Audi loaner. FWIW I think I was spoiled at JM Lexus in FL. They have a fleet of 150 loaner cars, all new Lexus's (Lexi?). Massage chairs in the waiting area, free breakfast and lunch buffet, any coffee drinks made to order, etc.

All in all it ended fine and there was no charge to me. Glad to have my car back with a mirror.

Later that day I picked up my Q5 and it looks and sounds like new. He said don't wash it for at least 24 hours.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,

Recently my q7 (2008) rear mirror also got unhooked. Actually the base is still stuck on the windscreen but just the mirror got unplugged. I could see three clips to be pushed back but after trying numerous time, i gave up to avoid damages.

Any idea how to hook it back. As i said, base is still fixed to screen, just hv to hook back the mirror with it.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mkq786
Hi,

Recently my q7 (2008) rear mirror also got unhooked. Actually the base is still stuck on the windscreen but just the mirror got unplugged. I could see three clips to be pushed back but after trying numerous time, i gave up to avoid damages.

Any idea how to hook it back. As i said, base is still fixed to screen, just hv to hook back the mirror with it.

Thanks.
Maybe this will help you (PDF mirror)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
mirror.pdf (528.6 KB, 930 views)
File Type: pdf
mirror par.pdf (958.6 KB, 648 views)
Old 03-14-2013, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220

Also you dont need a rear view mirror. What if you were a truck? towing a trailer? can't see out the back. Thats the least important mirror when you have a left and right mirror.
That's funny, I'm the complete opposite. I only use my rearview mirror and always check my blind spots with my own eyes.

The only time I use my side mirrors is when I parallel park or back-park. I don't trust them for blind spot checking. My side mirrors are angled downward to the ground so I can see the curb or parking lines.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by billypete
I disagree, the job is so simple a caveman could do it.
Worse than that, is to replace the windshield??? WTF??
Thats like replacing the engine because the oil is dirty.
Wow, I couldn't agree more.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:00 AM
crv
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by spijun
Maybe this will help you (PDF mirror)
Preciselly what happend to my Q7 and explanation from your PDFs solve it

Quick Reply: rear view mirror fell off windshield