Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rear view Camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear view Camera

How long did it take for everyone to get their rear view camera? I bought my Q5 in September and I have still not received it from my dealer.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

got my CPO (2011) about a month ago - a week before i bought it, salesman told me i'll have to get the camera chip from my local dealership at some later date, but then he called me back and told me the chips just arrived, so when i got it it was all ready to go.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 6 Months

MY11 delivered 6/18/11, camera control module installed early December.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a little story for you guys...

MY 2011, picked up in June 2011.

As I walk across the dealer lot, the salesman says, hey there's your car, once we do the rest of the paperwork we'll go do the walk through. I noticed the U.S. front plate grill was on the car, and the delete was on it in the photos when I purchased it over the phone (I found my perfect car, I know it never happens). So he says, "Oh, I thought your state had a front license plate law." I said that we didn't, so he said they would swap it back out to the plate delete.

After the paperwork was complete, we go to do the walk-through of the vehicle. When I drop the gearshift into "REVERSE" there is no back-up camera on the screen. I knew from reading the message boards there was an issue with the chips/modules because of the Tsunami. The salesman says, yep that's what it is. He told me they weren't allowed to tell the customers that, but since I brought it up, that was what had happened. He assured me that once the chip/module was in that they would be able to install it, or my nearest Audi dealer could if I preferred that.

So I waited. July, August, September, October, November. Keeping watch in the boards to find out when people were starting to get their chips. People were saying their MY 2012's had them installed, and they were starting to fix the 2011's in the order they were sold. I figured I should be getting close.

So I called AofA and let them know that my vehicle didn't have the chip/module, but so far I haven't received any letter from them about it, but that when it was ready I'd be getting it installed at my local Audi dealer. The guy from AofA would not say anything about the Tsunami at all. He said if that's what I had heard that he wouldn't discredit it, but he couldn't tell me that. I have no idea what the big deal was about all this.

So December comes, January, February. Still no letter from Audi. So I call the salesman I purchased from, and he says, "I'm sorry, I thought this was long ago resolved, let me look into it for you." Then I get an email back that says that AofA will be taking care of it.

So I call my local Audi dealer and ask if they have the chip/modules there to install. The Audi service manager says yes, they do, it won't be a problem. So I take my Q5 in. And I'm waiting, and waiting. Finally he comes in and says, there wasn't a problem with my module but there was a software update that needed done, so everything should be fine. I thanked him and went outside to get back into my vehicle. Start it up. Drop it in reverse to check it out. No back-up camera. I turn off the car, go back in and asked why my backup camera still didn't work? That's what I had brought it in for!

So he tells me the software update was for the drive-train, and that he couldn't do anything to the vehicle that the computer system didn't tell him to do. Then (and I was a bit frustrated at this point) I said, well, I just want my back-up camera to work. I purchased a car with the system and it has never worked! I have been told I need the chip/module. He again says there is nothing he can do. So I said, well let's get AofA on the phone. So he says, "I can't call them, you have to." So I said well let's dial them up. to which he says "you can't call them on my phone, you have to use yours." So I go back out to the car to get my phone, and call AofA. At this point the service department is telling me that my car doesn't have a back-up camera and just because it's in the owners manual doesn't mean I have it. I pull out all the paperwork showing them I paid $3,000 for the MMI/NAV+ with back-up camera and park assist system. I walk around the back of the car and physically put my finger on the camera and said here it is! He and the tech are now outside messing with the module, checking to see if the connections were good, and if I had it "ON" in the computer system. In the other ear I've got AofA telling me yes I did pay for it once they looked it up and it should be working.

The service manager says I have the module installed in the car, and it's always been there. AofA still won't tell me that the Tsunami caused the chips to not come in.

So the service mgr and I agree that I'll bring the car back in for a separate appointment so they can figure out what's wrong.

So I bring it back in, and they look it over back (where the module is located) to the front. And finally the service mgr calls me over to the vehicle, and asks me if I've ever messed with the grill or plate delete and taken it on and off. I say, no I haven't messed with it at all, but the day that I bought it the tech at the dealership I purchased it from had swapped the US plate for the plate delete.

The whole entire time June 2011-Feb 2012 I had had the module, and the ENTIRE system had not worked because the tech that switched out the plate delete had severed the right front parking sensor in the plate delete. It shut everything down.

15 minutes later and the vehicle was washed and when I got into it, the back-up camera, parking sensors (which I'd never even seen work before) all worked. It was a whole new world. I had been listening to the parking system have a loud "beep" sound because it was broken for months, and now it worked.

So the service dept didn't charge me, because I had been through so much, and they said that they would have to eat the cost even though it was the other dealerships fault because once it was on their lot, it was something they did to break it, not the manufacturer. My local dealer wants to retain my business so he did it for free.

That's is my story. It sucked, but I still love my car. Better communication from AofA and the dealer where I purchased the car from would have been of help here. Why they couldn't talk about the Tsunami I have no idea.

Last edited by ThunderDent; 03-28-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It out a good while just call your service dept and remind them you exist. And report back when you discover that you never bought the camera version
Old 03-29-2012, 05:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

July 2011 delivery of 2012 model, never got the letter, but in January 2012, for the 5000 mile service, I requested the camera update and the did it.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks everyone!

I just took the car for the 5k service and asked them about it. They keep telling me it will come in "a few days." They told me to call back on Wednesday if I don't hear from them first.

Let's see what happens...
Old 03-30-2012, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Picked up MY2012 in July 2011, camera module (it's not a chip, it 's a control module) installed in late November 2011.