Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 227 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Amazing that no overpressure pop-off valve designed in...

Originally Posted by Scott Evil
This is a common problem with the family of 2.0T motors. The PCV will begin to fail and the crankcase pressure builds and damages the rear seal. If you can catch the PCV problem early and have it repaired, the rear seal should be fine.

I just went through this with our Tiguan. MIL for fuel pressure problem, traced to PCV. Fortunately we caught it early. about $400 at the dealer. If the seal fails out of warranty I think you can put a 1 in front of that.

The scary part is our Tiguan has 60,000 miles on it, at 7,200 I would be pretty unhappy.
Audi engineering keeps amazing me. How simple would it be to incorporate a pressure relief valve. No, they would rather blow rear main seals and make a lot of service work money! If you search the web you will find that even turbo boost pressure can get into the crank case and really do a number on the rear seal if the PCV is blocked. Also why isn't this PCV changed every 25K miles, or so, for owner confidence? It looks quite simple to change it even for the DIY group.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I hope that it works out for you....

Originally Posted by plumber212
I am very unhappy. No 1 that the tranny is being pulled. Things never go back like they were from the factory! And No. 2 that my Q5 is sitting outside at the dealership for two weeks. I guess I will wait to see how it is when I get it back. As a side note, I did notice that the loaner (A4) car's engine is much quieter than my Q5. I always thought it was noisy since new but since this was my first Audi, I just thought that's how they all were.
but I agree I have yet to see anything the dealer does go back the same way as it came out of the factory.

I just can't wait to see the Mexico bulit Q5 reliability history..........
Old 06-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
but I agree I have yet to see anything the dealer does go back the same way as it came out of the factory.

I just can't wait to see the Mexico bulit Q5 reliability history..........
As much as I would like to get a redesigned Q5 when it comes along, I will be very leery to buy one from Mexico. May have to go to another brand for the next one!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Audi engineering keeps amazing me. How simple would it be to incorporate a pressure relief valve. No, they would rather blow rear main seals and make a lot of service work money! If you search the web you will find that even turbo boost pressure can get into the crank case and really do a number on the rear seal if the PCV is blocked. Also why isn't this PCV changed every 25K miles, or so, for owner confidence? It looks quite simple to change it even for the DIY group.
Valid point. I think the PCV failures are likely due to a poorly designed part. There are after market options which may be better.

I have no idea how difficult it is to change the PCV. Last time I had PCV problems was on a 1986 Ford Tempo. The replacement part was $6 and it took 2 minutes to replace. Repeat every 24 months.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Got the check engine light on my 2014 Q5 2.0T yesterday morning at 5200 miles. Took it in to the dealer, he said the EVAP vaccum seal was broken, and replaced it with a new part that Audi has re manufactured (aka TSB).

Attaching a screenshot of the fix

Name:  evan1_zpsb76e599c.jpg
Views: 1656
Size:  61.2 KB
Name:  evap2_zps5904f474.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  39.1 KB
Old 06-10-2014, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How to change PCV link with photos...

Originally Posted by Scott Evil
Valid point. I think the PCV failures are likely due to a poorly designed part. There are after market options which may be better.

I have no idea how difficult it is to change the PCV. Last time I had PCV problems was on a 1986 Ford Tempo. The replacement part was $6 and it took 2 minutes to replace. Repeat every 24 months.
It'a about $150 US$ for the PCV valve itself at the dealer.

http://www.deutscheautoparts.com/new...le.aspx?NID=17
Old 06-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by blackcls63
Got the check engine light on my 2014 Q5 2.0T yesterday morning at 5200 miles. Took it in to the dealer, he said the EVAP vaccum seal was broken, and replaced it with a new part that Audi has re manufactured (aka TSB).

Attaching a screenshot of the fix

I can only hope the dealer does not replace the main seal only to find the fix to be the much easier EVAP seal.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

plumber212
I also had the check engine light issue on my 2011 Q5 2.0T (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2863852) My Q5 stayed outside at the dealership for a total of 71 days this past winter. In addition, the fan blower quit working while in the shop. At least it saved me from yet another trip to the dealership.

In four years of ownership, my Q5 has spent 100+ days in the shop. I have attached the work order to show you what you may be up against. Hopefully your Q5 is only out of commission for two weeks. In the end my Q5 was never the same.
Attached Images    
Old 06-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cgyq5
plumber212
I also had the check engine light issue on my 2011 Q5 2.0T (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2863852) My Q5 stayed outside at the dealership for a total of 71 days this past winter. In addition, the fan blower quit working while in the shop. At least it saved me from yet another trip to the dealership.

In four years of ownership, my Q5 has spent 100+ days in the shop. I have attached the work order to show you what you may be up against. Hopefully your Q5 is only out of commission for two weeks. In the end my Q5 was never the same.
Thanks for the info. You mention that the car was never the same. What type of issues did you have after having this work done?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cgyq5
plumber212

I read the repair order. That's scary! I can only wonder how much the diagnostic charges would have cost you if the warranty had expired....wow!

Quick Reply: rear main seal