Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rear Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
I suspect the Q5 rear seat entertainment system will be much like the A4 rear seat entertainment system, pictured here...
That looks so aftermarket. Rather than spending $700 per screen you might as well go with an iPad which is useful outside the car too.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
That looks so aftermarket. Rather than spending $700 per screen you might as well go with an iPad which is useful outside the car too.
The old system was practically like mounting a standalone DVD player in the car. You just snap it out and take it with you. They were ugly as hell, though.

The new version is much nicer and integrated with MMI. From the UK configurator info I found it sounds like it's still removable (usable as a standalone DVD player), but I'm not going to bank on that being the case without inspecting a unit for myself (and good luck finding a vehicle with the RES option -- closest I got was a fully-loaded Q7 showing in online inventory at my dealer, but it didn't show up in the dealer's systems so who knows where the listing came from).
Old 01-23-2013, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
I agree, in the age of tablet computers, either iPads, Kindles, whatever, it makes little sense to spend thousands on a built-in rear seat entertainment system. At least with an iPad you can take it with you to keep the kid(s) entertained beyond the backseat of the vehicle.

Idale, I knew what I posted wasn't the current version (was the only picture I had handy, and still mounts to the seat about the same as the newer version), but believed it should be close enough so as to give an idea of what to expect. Either way, new or old version, it still looks way too aftermarket. Actually, some of the aftermarket systems built into the headrests look less "aftermarket" than the Audi version.

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 01-23-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was planning on ordering the rear seat entertainment package, however after seeing it in the Q7, my wife and I decided against it since it looked awful. The Audi USA configurator back in the fall showed the RSE in the back of the front headrests which looked nice.

I also don't think Audi has put these into production on the Q5 yet.

We will be using the iPad mini for our kids.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by cambridge99
I was planning on ordering the rear seat entertainment package, however after seeing it in the Q7, my wife and I decided against it since it looked awful. The Audi USA configurator back in the fall showed the RSE in the back of the front headrests which looked nice.
Yeah, I don't even know what vehicle those thumbnails were from, since as far as I've been able to tell, no Audi ever had in-headrest monitors.

Nope, not for another couple of weeks at least (assuming it hasn't been delayed again, was last set to be available early February).
Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cambridge99

We will be using the iPad mini for our kids.
what i was told, they were offering RES to 2013 Q5's. when i questioned them about it from my last service.