Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rear Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Entertainment System

Is it possible to synch the rear entertainment system with the media player from the Audi MMI Navigation system. In other words, if I put in a dvd in the MMI console, can the rear passengers watch the same movie from the rear entertainment system monitors. Thank you for any input.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just like your tv at home, you should be able to switch inputs...
but the hard part is getting the signal from the front to the back...
via cabling ? wifi ? bluetooth ?

Just guessing since we don't know what type systems your have...
Is it an aftermarket rear system ?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Since it sounds like you're trying to put together an order, I'm assuming you're asking about the OEM option on the Q5 (which is still at least a couple of weeks away from going into production in the Q5 -- delayed several times). From what information I've gotten when asking AoA about it (I have a RES in my Odyssey and wanted to compare with the Q5 in figuring out if I wanted to order the option or not), it sounds like the rears should be able to use the front DVD as an input (and the rears should be controllable from the front MMI).

However, since the Q5 doesn't have it yet (in NA), I'm not sure if there's anyone around who can confirm for sure. The Q7 and A8 also have the RES option, though I don't think it's all that common for people to order so even those boards might not be able to say for sure (but you can always check!).
Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, I am planning to purchase a q5, but I am having second thoughts about the rear entertainment system that you can order through Audi. One dealership stated that the RES is a stand alone system while another one told me that the RES can be synched with the MMI. I know this forum is full of knowledgeable people so I am hoping someone can give me a definite answer. Thanks JohnBoyToo and idale for your help.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by vo1178
Yes, I am planning to purchase a q5, but I am having second thoughts about the rear entertainment system that you can order through Audi. One dealership stated that the RES is a stand alone system while another one told me that the RES can be synched with the MMI.
Audi's system is integrated into the car and MMI, it's definitely not like a standard aftermarket system (whether that's a pro or a con is up to you, of course). Unfortunately the most "hands on" you're likely to get is the:
The A8 system should be similar at least, but I've no idea if it's identical to the Q7 or Q5 system, and there's no videos or any real information referencing a Q7 or Q5 that I've run into. If you're really lucky there might be a Q7 on a lot near you with the RES option, but at least from what I've seen it's extremely rare. It's a fairly new option to the NA market, but even RoW boards only talked about aftermarket systems.

I'm interested in discussions about the RES and how it works/doesn't, as well, but at least in my searches I haven't found anyone who even had the option (here or abroad), so don't know what to think.

Last edited by idale; 01-22-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Reformatting around video
Old 01-22-2013, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just going to go this route, if I ever need to. Much simpler than the whole system. Plus, it's cheaper, and if you have kids they can each watch what they want, and use headphones. Plus it's removable.

I haven't crossed the kid barrier yet (see all the mods I'm able to do ... haha) but if the time ever comes, I'll be doing this.

http://www.studioproper.com/products...headrest-mount

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-player-for-Q5
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

two separate ipads is how we solved it
WITH headphones of course
Old 01-22-2013, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vo1178
Is it possible to synch the rear entertainment system with the media player from the Audi MMI Navigation system. In other words, if I put in a dvd in the MMI console, can the rear passengers watch the same movie from the rear entertainment system monitors. Thank you for any input.
iPad.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
I'm just going to go this route, if I ever need to. Much simpler than the whole system. Plus, it's cheaper, and if you have kids they can each watch what they want, and use headphones. Plus it's removable.
Kids would be able to watch what they want via the RES, too, as well as use headphones. And you'd have to buy a couple of iPads. (Still cheaper, yes, but not quite the same sort of functionality set. But again, that may be a good thing.)

These mounts do have the benefit of being temporary, however, as opposed to the OEM system which is similar (effectively 10" monitors mounted on the seat) but bolted down. Safety-wise, mounting a tablet won't be as good as a bolted-on system, but if you rarely use it then at least you won't have that be an issue that much, and the tablet is able to be taken out of the car and used elsewhere.

For my use (two small kids), I'd need control from up front of something that both of them can watch, so just mounting some tablets doesn't quite cut it, and more fully-functioning systems that would do that are around the cost of the OEM system anyway. So at least for me, it's probably mainly a choice between doing OEM or pulling the "we didn't have that in my day" card.

Originally Posted by spinfunky
iPad.
Purple.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent

I haven't crossed the kid barrier yet (see all the mods I'm able to do ... haha) but if the time ever comes, I'll be doing this.

http://www.studioproper.com/products...headrest-mount

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-player-for-Q5
I don't know what you're doing with a Q5 with no kids man. If I didn't have kids I would be in a TTS! Or even a Carrera since I wouldn't have to pay $1000/mo per kid for preschool.

And to stay on topic: I love those iPad mounts. Not cheap looking like the other ones I've seen.

Quick Reply: Rear Entertainment System