Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Radio/CD/Sat turn on loud everytime the car starts

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio/CD/Sat turn on loud everytime the car starts

As the title state, this is making me insane!

I tried turning down the volume BEFORE I turned off the car but the moment I started it again, music is blaring out from the speaker.

Is there some settings I can change to just put out the volume at, say, 10% when I start the car?

This is for a 2013 Q5 2.0T with no navi.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, on our 2011 with B&O and nav, the "Sound" settings are adjustable for each source and maybe yours is too ?

Try going into each source and adjusting the sound down to a comfortable level even to the point of going into the 'setup' of each source to verify it is lowered...

hopefully that will help, if not, the experts will be along in a bit
Old 03-12-2013, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

You need VCDS
I'm not sure for MY 2013, but the procedure is the following for MY 2009-2012

56 - Radio -> Adaption -> Channel 04, add 16-100% to your value
Name:  ScreenShot006-4_zps2fee385c.jpg
Views: 5817
Size:  95.4 KB

Last edited by spijun; 03-18-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Hmmm, on our 2011 with B&O and nav, the "Sound" settings are adjustable for each source and maybe yours is too ?

Try going into each source and adjusting the sound down to a comfortable level even to the point of going into the 'setup' of each source to verify it is lowered...

hopefully that will help, if not, the experts will be along in a bit
So there is settings to lower the volume when the car starts? Spijun said above I need VCDS...

I'll check the settings in my car. The manual doesn't say anything...
Old 03-12-2013, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll have to try this as well. When mine comes on it's not terribly loud. My biggest issue is when I have the stereo off, turn off the car, then turn it back on, that the sound is up at all.

I'd love for it just to stay where you last set it, but it seem that if 16% is the lowest volume setting, that may be all I can get.

Another pet peeve here is when you start up the car, the radio comes on, I quickly hit the button to power off, and it comes back on again. Then have to power off a second time.

An easy fix to the entire problem is keep the media button active instead of the radio button. It will keep things quiet without having to turn the MMI off, which keeps you out of your bluetooth, etc.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by striders
So there is settings to lower the volume when the car starts? Spijun said above I need VCDS...

I'll check the settings in my car. The manual doesn't say anything...
FYI.. I checked in my car settings and I don't see anything that will fix the above.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy way out, the car is new, then go back to the dealer for them to look at it.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Zigaroo
Easy way out, the car is new, then go back to the dealer for them to look at it.
I could, but that is the last resort and when it is CONFIRMED that there was an issue with the car. My dealer is not the smartest tool in the shed when it comes to technology in the car and they'll give the "That's how Audi design the car" answer.

Heck, when I was checking out the car before buying it, the Sales Manager, Finance Manager and Service Manager did NOT know that if I order the Premium Plus with AMI, the 3.5mm AUX-IN jack in the center console is REMOVED by Audi from the car.

This is why I am posting here, to check if this is TRULY by design.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Volume stays the same

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
I'll have to try this as well. When mine comes on it's not terribly loud. My biggest issue is when I have the stereo off, turn off the car, then turn it back on, that the sound is up at all.

I'd love for it just to stay where you last set it, but it seem that if 16% is the lowest volume setting, that may be all I can get.

Another pet peeve here is when you start up the car, the radio comes on, I quickly hit the button to power off, and it comes back on again. Then have to power off a second time.

An easy fix to the entire problem is keep the media button active instead of the radio button. It will keep things quiet without having to turn the MMI off, which keeps you out of your bluetooth, etc.
Interestingly when I restart my Q5 the radio/media volume comes back on the same level it was set at when turned off. I tested it to make sure.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry it didn't work out for some !
Mine goes back to the same volume as at shutdown too.

Spijun's suggestion was how to put a HARD limit on the max volume, notice the last portion of the popup says if lower than that max adaptation, it will go to the last set volume....

Maybe it's because I went thru each of our source possibilities..
sirus, am, fm, cd, dvd, media, etc with BOTH keys to set the sound for each ?

otherwise, good luck

on edit... after setting each source,
maybe try shutting off the radio before shutting off car ?

or, if you're like my situation, tell the wife not to use your key and have the tunes blaring when she pulls in with the moonroof open and talking on the phone

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 03-18-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Radio/CD/Sat turn on loud everytime the car starts