Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Radio always turns on

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobalt Rain
If I remember correctly:

Press and HOLD the console volume **** for 5 seconds or so to turn off the radio. Then turn off the car.
:-)
How do you know it is off and not just muted ?
Old 01-05-2014, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stash64
How do you know it is off and not just muted ?
The whole MMI screen turns off, rather than getting the mute symbol pop up...
Old 01-06-2014, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in agreement with pressing and holding the volume button down until it goes off. It will stay off. When you turn the car on briefly and don't hear the radio, it could be the system initializing itself. CDs don't play right away I can say for sure.

Do you know about being able to turn the radio on with the car off and the key not present? It will stay on for awhile but shuts off eventually. I heard 10 minutes.

BTW, when cars had six volt systems and huge engines, it made sense to reduce draw on the battery by shutting everything off. Not necessary these days. That's an antiquated practice.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This really is total rubbish.

I spent 2 months talking to Audi UK Customer Services and they 'said' that after speaking with R&D, it is 'as designed.'

When I asked them why would you design something to automatically switch itself on when the last user function was to turn itself of.... thus going against the last user function.... they could not offer an answer.

When I asked them why do they think this is correct and yet other manufacturers don't do this.... they could not offer an answer.

I have an A4 (2010) and an A6 (2006) and it is ridiculously irritating.

When I leave my house, I turn off lights and electrical appliances and 'lock' the door.

A few hours later, when I 'unlock' the door, I do NOT expect my lights and appliances to turn themselves on?????!!!???

I put this example to Audi Customer Services and the response was: I totally agree, but it is what it is.

Very poor

/DC
Old 02-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Did a quick test on this today.

If I mute the radio just before stopping the ignition, the radio is still in mute when I start the car the next time.

If I press and hold the off button until the radio goes off and then stop the ignition, the radio does not come on when I restart the car.

Seems reasonable to me.

Steve
Old 02-06-2014, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scrmorling
If I press and hold the off button until the radio goes off and then stop the ignition, the radio does not come on when I restart the car.
This worked for me. When I restart I just get a dark screen with the four rings logo and "Audi Infotainment System" or some such. Mine is an '11 Premium+ without MMI, though, so YMMV.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just a thought... I know in the MB ML the back up camera does not work unless the radio is turned on. Is it possible Audi turns on the radio so your back up cameras will work too when you start up the car after having previously turned off your radio & shutting down the car?

(Don't own an Audi yet, but hevily considering it and I'm following the Forum to see if there are any problematic reasons to stay away or commit.)-2007 MB E550 is current car
Old 02-07-2014, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No... back up camera comes on even if the MMI/radio was completely shut down last time the ignition was turned off.

What Audi should do is just keep the radio muted on start up if it was muted when last shut down. Seems like this would be a simple software update.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Radio/Media player comes on

It's a known fault.

The workarounds below don't truly work.

Example: If I press & hold the button, what i am actually doing is switching the whole MMI system off. When I turn it back on... and say, choose 'SAT-NAV' then either the radio or media player (depending on what was last used, automatically come on.

Mute will un-mute of you switch it back on after a prolonged period of time (i.e. next day). Strangely enough, there is something in the design that remembers your last instruction when you switch the ignition off for a short period of time (petrol station).

Either way, the best workaround Audi could offer was to turn the volume down so low that when it starts up again, you can't hear it.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Really poor software design IMHO. It should be extremely easy to fix this, do not understand why Audi is not doing this.

Quick Reply: Radio always turns on