Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Quattro vs X-Drive--on ice

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HPH
Actually, it is on topic for me. Shortly before I left the intermountain west for the ...um... flats of Florida, I had a bit of a mid-life crisis and got myself a Subaru STi (note precise designation, which was switched to STI after my model year). I tweaked it up in power another 10% and got my jollies.

It had the "Driver Controllable Center Differential," a very cool feature IMO. Still, the feel of its viscous coupled center diff compared to the Audi mechanical system in my allroad was obvious. Until I got used to the lag of the viscous power transfer, it always seemed sluggish in snow compared to the Torsen coupling.

I think that the Haldex system in VWs and in several Audis probably has this same difference. It's not bad, it's just different. Once I got used to the Subaru system, I grew to like it a lot.

What I'm suspicious of are those newer electronic systems that "sense" slip and "transfer power on demand." It's clear that the Honda system, for example, sucks. And if the BWM system sucks, too, so be it. No doubt that Audi, in the past ten years, has improved the mechanical version of Quattro significantly. HPH
I don't have much experience with Subaru, but I can tell you there is no lag in the VW 4motion. Now on dry roads the quattro system no doubt aids handling, also on rainy roads. I think here the sporty nature of quattro is better than the haldex. But, for poor weather everyday driving the 4motion exceeded my expectation. I expected and accepted a more reactionary feel. I mean it is our family runabout great for wintery/wet conditions, very safe and solid handling. But in fact, it works better than my quattro system. No doubt as mentioned tires play a role as does weight distribution front to rear bias which now favours the rear for the B8 audis. So, bottom line quattro seems sporty, more playful less all-out errand runner. The 4motion tiguan is more dead stable, but a very fun to drive, light on its feet suv.

Truth is I originally went in for a Q5 because I so enjoy my A4, but after two extensive test drives of both the Q5 and Tiguan back to back, I found the Tiguan the hands down fun to drive champ. The Q5 is a little more truckish, not as compliant or handle as well as the A4 or Tiguan (but still good), and had a character I found a little lacking in the Q5. Plus knock 12k back to my pocket (similarly equipped) and we had a winner.

The Tiguan is also as drum tight as the B8, another surprise as I assumed the B8 versus golf chassis would be noticeable....it is not...very interesting as I would be the first one to blow off a golf based chassis as inferior or cheaper but not after owning the Tiguan and driving it for a couple months. Now I think the folks (or volks) that opt for a GTI have a best kept secret on us Audi owners...that their cars are every bit an Audi but without the snazzy brand or price tag. I digress and I love my Audi...and Volkswagen...

Last edited by Mitch105; 02-16-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you put a Q5 on the rollers like in the video, it will perform exactly as it does in the video. It'll perform worse with ESP on than with ESP off as it doesn't allow as much wheel spin before it cuts power - meaning you go nowhere.

If the OP is after an SUV that is able to lock it's center diff then he should not go for the Q5. If you need an SUV that is good on wet, slushy, snowy roads then the Q5 will be great.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
If you put a Q5 on the rollers like in the video, it will perform exactly as it does in the video. It'll perform worse with ESP on than with ESP off as it doesn't allow as much wheel spin before it cuts power - meaning you go nowhere.

If the OP is after an SUV that is able to lock it's center diff then he should not go for the Q5. If you need an SUV that is good on wet, slushy, snowy roads then the Q5 will be great.
As a previous owner of two X3s I can attest that in the real world the X3 will spin it's wheels with the best of em i deep snow or over snowbanks. The test is not real world relevant for Canada/Nor'easters folks
Old 02-17-2011, 05:02 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch105
...I found the Tiguan the hands down fun to drive champ.
With a wheelbase 8" shorter and 600 fewer pounds of steel to carry around, this is surely not unexpected. Audi would need to put out a Q3-like vehicle to compete. (I expect the A3 fills this role -- and that RS3 will no doubt be a fantastic driving experience.) HPH
Old 02-18-2011, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HPH
With a wheelbase 8" shorter and 600 fewer pounds of steel to carry around, this is surely not unexpected. Audi would need to put out a Q3-like vehicle to compete. (I expect the A3 fills this role -- and that RS3 will no doubt be a fantastic driving experience.) HPH
The yet to be released Q3 will be the sister vehicle to the Tiguan - just as the A3 is to the Golf and A4 is to the Passat.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
The yet to be released Q3 will be the sister vehicle to the Tiguan - just as the A3 is to the Golf and A4 is to the Passat.
Actually the old Passats were A4 based. The current (2006-current) is a stretched Jetta chassis if I'm not mistaken.

Yes the new Q3 will be an exciting vehicle based on the Tiguan.

The other thing too is that when I went in to buy a Q5 I not only liked the Tiguan better it was also due to availability and pure value. The Q5 was available for test drive but they had zero inventory. All factory with little discount. There were like 3 Tiguans brand new in stock in the model/options I wanted plus the discounting was like fresh air.

The actual before tax price difference between a similar equipped Q5 and Tiguan is actually about 7-8k...not too bad...might think to go for the Q5 as I did. BUT....VW will knock an extra 3k off your best Q5 deal and offers almost zero percent lease/finance. Factor that in and the $$$ is big like 12k big. Plus I truly like the Tiguan better than the Q5. However, that said, I do still love the Q5 and will probably snag one this fall when hopefully supply catches up a bit and my A4 lease is up for the wife. Me, I'm driving the Tig.

PS: No better over at BMW X3. They have test vehicles, but no vehicles inventoried. All factory. Nice the X3...

Last edited by Mitch105; 02-18-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:34 PM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mitch105
... similar equipped Q5 and Tiguan ...
Uh...from what I've seen, this is oxymoronic in the extreme, unless the definition of "similar" is stretched way beyond anything reasonable. This isn't to say that the Tiguan isn't a nifty vehicle or a good value, but you really can't compare apples and oranges by calling them "similar." HPH
Old 02-18-2011, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HPH
Uh...from what I've seen, this is oxymoronic in the extreme, unless the definition of "similar" is stretched way beyond anything reasonable. This isn't to say that the Tiguan isn't a nifty vehicle or a good value, but you really can't compare apples and oranges by calling them "similar." HPH
Well let's see now...first off I said similar equipped not similar but that said....

Audi is premium car and is in a different class that I agree. I have an A4 Avant so I understand but nonetheless these are VERY similar vehicles. VERY VERY. Careful about that Audi Koolaid when comparing to their own VW products. The VW/Audi products are very similar and in many ways identical.

Both are tall soft road SUVs, VW AG products with identical drivetrains (at different hp/torque rating), shared electronics, shared mmi (touchscreen vw/dial in audi).

So here are but a few but totally major similarities

same 2.0T engine (power rated different dialed down in vw)
same tranny until this year when Q5 2.0t got 8speed update (not 3.2 which is same) all are ZF made units
same big glass sunroof with same shade
same mmi (in higher tiguans like mine)
same connectivity package with integrated ipod/sd card, aux input
same displays in dash with same computer, in fact same dash different design
same parts for lights sunroof
same headliner
same power locks
same security system
both are tall suvs
same wiper systems
same switch gear stalks

differences? of course

quattro/haldex - big difference there agreed but both are awd nonetheless
chassis, a4/golf - wheelbase difference
vw regular brand
audi premium brand

but to say oxymoron what??? differences sure but really more the same. the q5 to a pinto? yes....

Last edited by Mitch105; 02-18-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:04 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Oh, well, thanks for setting me straight with that list. If they share "switch gear stalks" and so on, that makes then almost identical twins, doesn't it?

You're free, of course, to keep on believing what you want to believe. Having owned both marques, though, I remember certain distinct differences. HPH
Old 02-19-2011, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mitch105

Do you really believe the Q5 & Tiguan are same car

Q5 is a bigger car to start with, with much more room & cargo space
The materials used in these vehicles constructions - especially on the inside - are different, Audi uses to drawer materials?! If you sat in both cars you must know that?!
The engines & drive-terrain are also different.

The fact that they share some parts (stalks, switches, electronic system) doesn't make them the same car
I for example know that some of the vents, switches, stalks and software used in some Jaguar & Austin Martins are the same used in some Ford models - But i certainly don't believe that a Ford Ka is the same as an Austin Martin Vanquish

Quick Reply: Quattro vs X-Drive--on ice