Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Quattro vs X-Drive--on ice

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quattro vs X-Drive--on ice

As the most recent storm hit the midwest yesterday I saw how well quattro handles ice--especially compared to the BMW.

My wife called me at work and told me our neighbor's BMW 7 series (I think he has x-drive) was stuck in his driveway on the ice and needed to pushed into his garage. He called my wife hoping I was home to help. My wife told me our driveway was covered in ice as well. I came home and had absolutely no problems getting in my garage. Never slipped once.

Both of our driveways are flat with small inclines from the road. Just made me that much more of a believer in quattro.

One last thing--ice is far more dangerous than snow. Spent all day yesterday seeing people with ice related injuries--closed 3 emergency rooms in our city due to so many patients.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

i've driven x-3's and x-5's with all season tires in light snow and they were fine. I can't comment on their "on ice" performance.. keep in mind that the tire's on your friend's 7 play a big part.. if he has summer tires on there it's pretty much game over.

my q5 got a little squirly in today's ice storm while going up a hill in my neighborhood..(on 18" all seasons) not bad though.

nelson
Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

^ Agreed.
It's more the tire than the AWD system.

Last edited by Audirings4; 02-02-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

BMW new X3 vs Q5 (both diesel)

<object width="640" height="390">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HvqQuC_8VrM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&versi on=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
Old 02-04-2011, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, my guess is that the Eagle LS2 on my Q5 seriously limit traction. The wonder of having something like Continental Extreme Contact tires which I recently put on my 535.

However, the 2.0T and the stock Eagle tires have worked wonderfully in Tulsa's rare blizzard this week which continues.

I did consider the new X3 last month but low in availablity and I liked my previous A4 very well.

Global warming is so alarming. Tulsa had record snowfall this week 19 inches.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was looking to replace my 530i with the Q5, but since the new X3 came out I am not sure any more. It rides way better than the Q5. I will wait til the later of the year when BMW introduces the 2.0t engine with 240hp/260 lb tq and see.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shawn99/30V
I was looking to replace my 530i with the Q5, but since the new X3 came out I am not sure any more. It rides way better than the Q5. I will wait til the later of the year when BMW introduces the 2.0t engine with 240hp/260 lb tq and see.
I just went through this exercise and bought a 3.2L Q5 in December to replace my leased '08 X3.

Before buying, I read everything I could find and the Q5 consistently come out on top though no doubt the new X3 will be a significant competitor so I look forward to the reviews and comparison tests. I had read posts on the BMW boards regarding the new X3, read the early reviews, and then I finally got to check out the 2011 X3. I'm a BMW enthusiast - I had a '98 528i and '01 X5 - but it didn't raise my interest at all. To me the exterior of the 2011 X3 looks too much like the old one and having had the X5 previously I was tired of the boxy shape - the Q5 looks more modern, dynamic, and athletic to me. Plus I think the new X3 will blend in with all the old X3's and X5's and I'd rather have something distinctive in the $45-50k range. My other issue was that I didn't want to be a beta tester for the new X3 - a new model being built in a new factory in the US rather than by Magna Steyr in Austria where the previous generation was built. In a few short weeks I can already tell it is a terrific replacement for my '08 X3: the 3.2L engine, transmission and driving dynamics really suit me.

It's all a matter of personal choice....good luck with your search!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4forDC
I just went through this exercise and bought a 3.2L Q5 in December to replace my leased '08 X3.

Before buying, I read everything I could find and the Q5 consistently come out on top though no doubt the new X3 will be a significant competitor so I look forward to the reviews and comparison tests. I had read posts on the BMW boards regarding the new X3, read the early reviews, and then I finally got to check out the 2011 X3. I'm a BMW enthusiast - I had a '98 528i and '01 X5 - but it didn't raise my interest at all. To me the exterior of the 2011 X3 looks too much like the old one and having had the X5 previously I was tired of the boxy shape - the Q5 looks more modern, dynamic, and athletic to me. Plus I think the new X3 will blend in with all the old X3's and X5's and I'd rather have something distinctive in the $45-50k range. My other issue was that I didn't want to be a beta tester for the new X3 - a new model being built in a new factory in the US rather than by Magna Steyr in Austria where the previous generation was built. In a few short weeks I can already tell it is a terrific replacement for my '08 X3: the 3.2L engine, transmission and driving dynamics really suit me.

It's all a matter of personal choice....good luck with your search!
I really like everything about the Q5 2.0t except the ride being too firm and unsettled. I test drove the new X3 last week and was pretty impressed by it. The 3.0t looked very tempting for a base price of about 41K. The fit & finish was 1st rate. But, I would also like to see the 2012 new 3 series GT crossover in rear drive. Being in Southern California, I don't need the extra weight & maintenance of the AWD. Too bad both the Q5 & X3 don't offer 2WD. The GLK will have an improved 305 hp direct injection engine next year, but it's too small.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn99/30V
Being in Southern California, I don't need the extra weight & maintenance of the AWD. Too bad both the Q5 & X3 don't offer 2WD.
if they were 2 wheel drive they would prob be fwd.. blah
i love my quattro summer n winter
how much more weight and maintenance are we talking?
Old 02-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyKstZ6a5ag&NR=1

Quick Reply: Quattro vs X-Drive--on ice