Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 vs FX35

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 vs FX35

Hi All,

Up until today I was convinced and set on getting a Q5 Prestige 3.2. But I looked at the Infiniti FX35 again and now I'm really not sure. What do you Q5 lovers think?

Thanks for your input,
MS
Old 11-07-2011, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moncsicsi
Hi All,

Up until today I was convinced and set on getting a Q5 Prestige 3.2. But I looked at the Infiniti FX35 again and now I'm really not sure. What do you Q5 lovers think?

Thanks for your input,
MS
I think you should wear your purple shirt today to go with your grey suit. That will make a great combination with your FX35.
A purple shirt with a grey suit is NOT a Q5 style and you should really shy away from the Q5.

I would say, get the FX35!

Oh, do not forget, it is Monday and remember what your mommy said, you must put on a clean pair of drawers on Mondays.

You are welcome...

Old 11-07-2011, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi All,

Thanks for your input,
MS
I'd suppose you've joined the FX forum(s) to get their opinions too?
IMO a car/vehicle is something I drive daily and it's MY choice to what I want - handling, performance, capabilities, technology, etc... that's why I chose the Q5. but again that's MY .02 errr 3.2-5 LOL :P
Old 11-07-2011, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi All,

Thanks for your input,
MS
I test drove both and like the style/looks of the FX but quite honestly the FX drives like a boat.

Q doesn't disappoint!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK. I think I simplified my question too much, so I feel I owe you a little more details.
First of all, you guys need to know that I'm trying to make a move from a mommy-car (2008 Odyssey) to something more "fun" and luxurious. I test drove a 3.2 Q5 a few weeks ago and totally loved it. I never drove an FX35, but, based on the reviews I saw, it's a really nice, sporty ride as well. I’ve read many of the posts on this forum and that’s what sent me back shopping. I see there are some problems with the Q5 - like rattling seats, squeaking armrests, and other quality problems. And that darn audio streaming via Bluetooth! I can’t believe Audi doesn’t make that available. It wouldn’t be such a problem either if the connector wasn’t in the glove box. Although I’m letting the family car go, the family is still there. I have two young kids who enjoy watching movies on long trips. Lifesaver! Unfortunately a rear seat entertainment system for the Q5 is not a factory option. The dealer I’ve been in touch with want to sell me a system for $2500, but I don’t want to pay that much! This option is available in the FX35 for “only” $1500.
Now my concerns with the Infiniti are bad gas mileage (I know, it’s a bigger engine) and lack of cargo space. I thought the Q5 was already small, but the FX35 is even smaller. Oh and no gorgeous panoramic sun roof.
So anyone test drove and FX35 before decided on the Q5? What were your reasons for taking the Q5?
@Chris No, I haven’t joined an FX35 forum. But I visited one or two and have read some very bias posts, so they were really no help.
@ dsackman Thanks for your effort, but you could’ve just kept your sarcasm to yourself. Plus I’m not a dude.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We went from a 2006 FX35 to a 2011 Q5 (3.2L). I have never driven the new FX but i would assume some of my generalization would still apply. In my opinion the FX had a firmer, more sporty ride. We also think it may have been a tad bit bigger with a bit more room inside. That said we perfer the more luxurious interior of the Q5. We actually had some realibility issues with the FX, and the local dealership with a b*tch to deal with. Its a long story but we have many trips to the dealership and getting Infiniti Canada involved our issue was never properly resolved so I would probably not buy another Infiniti again. Our Q5 has about 8000km on it and had to have all 6 fuel injectors replaced under warranty (V6 leak down issue), but the dealership here was extremely good to deal with. No other issues with squeeks, rattles or anything else. Also, I'm not sure depending on how you have the vehicles optioned out, I would assume the Q5 is maybe a bit less expensive?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So anyone test drove and FX35 before decided on the Q5? What were your reasons for taking the Q5?
My wife and I drove several SAVs, SUVs, HBs, & SWs while deciding what to purchase. We put MUCH more effort into this decision than any other new vehicle we've owned(and we've owned quite a few in the past 17 years).
After driving and giving careful consideration to perhaps 10 vehicles I suggested the Infinti FX to which she responded,
"I'm not driving a FXXXing Blowfish". That pretty much helped me decide.

Name:  FX1.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  172.2 KB
Name:  blowfish1.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  145.7 KB
Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You really owe it to yourself to at least test drive the FX35 for a point of comparison. At least that way you won't have any buyer's remorse.

One factor (though maybe not so much in your case) would be any desire to take the vehicle offroad. If that's ever a factor, then i think the FX35 more than likely would eliminate itself. Towing might also be a factor.

The choice of a car is a personal decision though, and assuming you like the appearance of the FX35, a test drive really should be in order.

Regarding the in-car entertainment system... There are numerous options available for cheaper... You can go with an iPad with an over the headrest holder, etc.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looked & tried both, but the Q5 was considerably shorter and had a much better turning ratio (both things that were important for my wife). The FX reminded us of our XC90, which we were getting rid of. It also had a huge blind spot, which wasn't addressed by the available camera technology (We have an A4 with the blind spot warning and I won't have another car without it).

It was also about 5K more than the Prestige Q5 after we added the equivalent options to the FX.

Oh yeah - and we both agreed with the blowfish comment. But blowfish do reproduce, so they must find each other attractive
Old 11-07-2011, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, the two SUV's you are comparing are not even in the same class: Q5 is a compact SUV while FX35 is a midsize SUV. You can reffer to below link for rankings of each in its own class:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...rankings/suvs/

Q5 is ranked #1 in the compact lux suv while FX35 is ranked #3 in the midsize segment behing Acura MDX and Lexus RX.

But just for the sake of argument, Infinity might be more electronically advanced, however Q5 is more nimble and better styled.

In terms of rear entertainment, I would not pay top dollar for factory rear enterntainment system but would rather buy an Ipad clip for the rear.

Quick Reply: Q5 vs FX35