Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 versus 11 Grand Cherokee Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q5 versus 11 Grand Cherokee Opinion

I saw the new Grand C. Gotta say, I am having trouble finding fault with it. Tremendous value especially the Laredo X which comes loaded with most things you need.

I am a very happy 09 Avant owner and am a shoe-in for a Q5 to replace our Mercedes in a month or so. But the cherokee really has me thinking.

Anyone have a take?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just my opinions: Jeeps have never been terribly good looking nor reliable nor good handling on the road. With these two models, I can't even compare the Q5 against the GC. The Q is far better looking and probably more suitable for my european driving than the Jeep.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EricSLine
just my opinions: Jeeps have never been terribly good looking nor reliable nor good handling on the road. With these two models, I can't even compare the Q5 against the GC. The Q is far better looking and probably more suitable for my european driving than the Jeep.
i think the new GC looks fine, a bit better than the Q5 IMO.
i haven't driven one, but the car magazine reviews have been very good. there are some mercedes components in that thing.

but a brand new model from chrysler may not be reliable...
Old 12-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mitch105
I saw the new Grand C. Gotta say, I am having trouble finding fault with it. Tremendous value especially the Laredo X which comes loaded with most things you need.

I am a very happy 09 Avant owner and am a shoe-in for a Q5 to replace our Mercedes in a month or so. But the cherokee really has me thinking.

Anyone have a take?
I think it's Jeep's first really serious vehicle in awhile. I owned one about 13 years ago. I liked driving it, but it had it's problems early on. My Q5 is much more refined than my JGC was, but it cost more too. I think in terms of cost, though, the new JGC optioned out will be pretty darn close.

As far as aesthetics, no contest--the Q is the best looking one out there.

But the Jeep is a contender.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mitch105

Anyone have a take?
Drive both vehicles on a winding road- your decision will be made. You can't beat the european engineering!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have been thinking about the same vehicles to replace the wifes Audi. For the price of a fully loaded 2.0T Q5 you can get a loaded Hemi GC. I think the Q5 interior quality is better, exterior is a toss up for me. In past GC I have driven they are more truck like that sedan like unlike the Q5; which isn't bad just a matter of what you prefer. I have heard good reviews of the new base engine, some saying there was no need for the Hemi but I am leary of any new engine, especially from Chrysler. While they offer a lifetime powertrain warranty I don't know how this works and obviously it is useless if they don't make it. In the end it will take a few test drives and if that doesn't make our decision we will likely base it on incentives at the time.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Test drove the new loaded Hemi G.C. before getting the Q5 2.0T. I thought it was a good vehicle with "catchy" interior technology (everything on the car display was touch screen). When I test drove it I didn't like the fact that the transmission would "clucnk" into drive, almost like I was engaging an old 4x4. I thought it was a smooth drive and the Hemi really hauled butt but, ultimately we decided against it because it drove much bigger that it looked. My wife said she felt like she was driving a tank down the road and this comes from a woman who's driven a surbaban. Nice car and even better exterior but, Q5 is a better drive in my opinion.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have spent this whole year test driving suv's. Hubby and I drove the new GC and the new Lincoln MKX. (I also drove Infinity, Lexus and a Murano). Audi was initially my first choice and after driving all the others, I wound up coming back to my first choice. (BMW and Mercedes were out of my price range.)

I was seriously considering the GC until I drove it. We drove the Lincoln and GC back to back. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is a nice vehicle, its just not a luxury line vehicle. While I'm sure its a vast improvement over past models. The over touch and feel is still not quite what you sense when you sit in an Audi, Infinity or Lexus. I have driven a 2001 Pathfinder LE for 10 years and with the exception of new fangled techno gadets, the Jeep wasn't all that much nicer than my Path. The Lincoln however, had every inch of material slathered in rich leather. Very luxurious. It was the car I really wanted to like but didn't. I couldn't get the seats adjusted to not be painful. The My Ford touch is really cool but also a huge distraction. And you've got this really nice luxurious interior with a touch screen with finger print smudges all over it. Plus the Lincoln's front grill is just plain ugly.

I came very close to deciding just be like all the other clones and buy an RX350. I decided to give the Audi another try. When I tried it in Jan of this year, the 2.0 wasn't out yet and for some reason just did not fall in love with the 3.2. But, this fall, I decided to give it one more try before I decided on the Lexus. I don't know, it just seemed to "fit".

Sorry this was long, but hope it helps other who are shopping suv's.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We've owned a few Jeeps and had good luck with them. That said they use a lot of fuel. My friend just bought a new 11 Jeep GC. It is a beautiful vehicle but huge! I don't think you can compare it with a Q5, two different vehicles.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies guys. In January after holidays I am going to do one more go'round. The GC, new X3 and Q5. But I am already sold on the Audi so it is just a formality really. I drive my B8 Avant everyday and continue to marvel at how perfect a car it is in every sense from quality, looks, drive, and ergonomics. The Q5 is the same in SUV format which we need for our young ones.

My lease is up on the 09 Avant in 9 months already. It is the first time in a long time that I thought to purchase back the car because I cannot think of another vehicle that fits so well and hits all the buttons.

Audi really has it going on imo.

Quick Reply: Q5 versus 11 Grand Cherokee Opinion