Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 tire wear

My 2017 Q5 has just 20,000 miles, but my passenger front tire is down to 5/32, and the other three tires are all 7/32.

Do I have a defective tire? Dealer said there was no alignment issue.

Also, why the fast wear? I am used to getting at least 45K miles on a set of good tires. These will need replacement by 30,000 at this rate.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

In my experience, most tire wear occurs on the passenger front tire. You should rotate your tires once a year. Were the tires rotated?

If the tire is not directional, you could do a cross pattern rotate instead of just front to back rotations to balance out the wearing.

I replaced my tires at 44,000 miles.

What kind of tires do you have?

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 05-07-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

BSneadAudi What size and brand of tire ?
Old 05-07-2018, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
In my experience, most tire wear occurs on the passenger front tire. You should rotate your tires once a year. Were the tires rotated?

If the tire is not directional, you could do a cross pattern rotate instead of just front to back rotations to balance out the wearing.

I replaced my tires at 44,000 miles.

What kind of tires do you have?
Continental tires. It pissed me off - I bought a fully paid for service package for the first 50K miles, and after I called to inquire about the 5/32 tire, I was told the tires weren't rotated. Why wouldn't you rotate the tires at each 10,000 mile service? I never thought to ask. I brought the car to the dealer for two services, and just expected everything was being done. Now I'm screwed, because one tire is so far more worn than the others....whereas if they rotated them, it would have been on two tires instead.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

If you had 3/32" difference, you would have to replace the tire. Is it rotated now?

Audi rotates free at first 5000k service. There after it is your choice, your cost. I know you would think included in AudiCare, but it is not. Nor are windshield wiper blade replacements. Grit your teeth, I know.

In addition, Continental tires don't seem to get as high mileage life. When you are ready for replacements, you need to check recommendations on the board here.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Dealers would rather sell you tires than recommending rotation. Very nice profit margin on tires for them.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I had real good luck with those OE Continental tires on our '15 Q5. The car made it to 41k miles before replacing, probably could have gone a few thousand further.

I don't think you'd ever make it that far without tire rotation.

We had Audi Care as well. I don't know why, but nobody seems to pay any attention to the published maint schedule and they just do a few of the items when they're being compensated to cover the entire list. That attitude somewhat defeats the purpose of Audi Care.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

FWIW, Tire rotation isn't even listed in the scheduled maintenance except for that first 5k service. So technically, the dealer is following exactly what Audi recommends... The topic was beat to death as to why a few years back (I believe it was here...maybe it was on AZ), but the only conclusion is that Audi doesn't specify it.

Out of curiosity (or laziness...) I never rotated the OEM Goodyears, and wear was surprisingly equal at 48-49k when I replaced them. I do notice since I went to Stage 2, the DWS6's on there now do wear a bit more on the front now if i don't rotate them. My guess is with a lot harder launch the front are unloaded and scrub/spin slightly.. Wear is even across the tires though

It is weird, have never seen a mfgr not spec rotations...
Old 05-08-2018, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
If you had 3/32" difference, you would have to replace the tire. Is it rotated now?

Audi rotates free at first 5000k service. There after it is your choice, your cost. I know you would think included in AudiCare, but it is not. Nor are windshield wiper blade replacements. Grit your teeth, I know.

In addition, Continental tires don't seem to get as high mileage life. When you are ready for replacements, you need to check recommendations on the board here.

Not yet rotated. Audi offered to do so, but now I need to get back to Audi. I wanted to check this message board before I called to complain (again) about this.
My car didn't have a 5K service. First service was 10K, 2nd was 20K.
I need to check the maintenance book (my wife has the car). I want to see what it shows is required, before I make this second call to complain. Audi really should have been rotating the tires, and if not, telling me that they weren't doing that for free, but offering me the option, and telling me my tires would wear like this if I did not rotate. This must be a pretty normal issue
Old 05-08-2018, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BSneadAudi
This must be a pretty normal issue
Slow down a bit. Having one tire wear more than the other 3 is not a normal issue regardless of rotation. Obvious question, do you check your tire pressure or do you assume the TPMS would catch the change? Otherwise, having tires at 7/32 with 20k miles is not abnormal. I've had OEM tires not even make it to 30k before. Most manufacturers spec tires for comfort and low noise, not tread life.

Anyway, you may just have to buy two new tires sooner than you thought.

Quick Reply: Q5 tire wear