Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 terrible rear leg room

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 terrible rear leg room

I'm in the market for a new car. Currently have a Lexus RX300.

Test drove the x3, q5, rx350 and mdx.

Love the taut handling of the q5. Very nice interior. So I decided to do my rear seat test. I'm 6'2" and set the front driver seat to a comfortable position which usually means fully extended back. Then I get out of the car and sit in the rear seat. I was a bit shocked when my legs were basically scrunched against the front seat. Just trying to sit down in the back seat required twisting my legs to squeeze in the back. The back seat were fully extended backwards. The audi salesman moved the front seat up a bit. I was then able to move the back seat forward so the seat wasn't suck, it was all the way back.

It's strange because the x3 which supposedly has similar dimension, was fine when I did this test. Front seat set to a comfortable position for me, then myself sitting in the back. x3 doesn't have the ability to adjust the rear seat.

Having a 2 6-footers in front and back isn't gonna work for this car.

Plus what's up with the hump in the back? All the other cars have flat rears.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You are right on the legroom...it is a little smaller and tighter, but I am 6'3 and can still get folks in the back while I'm driving. Yes, I do need to move my seat up a little, but not so much that it is uncomfortable to drive the car. I love the car's other atributes so much that this small change/adjustment, when rarely needed, is more than acceptable, IMO of course.

I've never driven an X3, so cannot comment on why it was OK in the X3, but not the Q5. Maybe the tilt of the back of the seat was different?

You didn't mention this in your post, so I'm not assuming that you think this, but the MDX is not a fair comparison against the others you have listed. The RDX would be a closer comparison to the Q and x3 than the MDX as far as size and proportions.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yip, you are right, these cars are made for regular people.

You can move on now...

:-) :-)

Originally Posted by PotOdds
I'm in the market for a new car. Currently have a Lexus RX300.

Test drove the x3, q5, rx350 and mdx.

Love the taut handling of the q5. Very nice interior. So I decided to do my rear seat test. I'm 6'2" and set the front driver seat to a comfortable position which usually means fully extended back. Then I get out of the car and sit in the rear seat. I was a bit shocked when my legs were basically scrunched against the front seat. Just trying to sit down in the back seat required twisting my legs to squeeze in the back. The back seat were fully extended backwards. The audi salesman moved the front seat up a bit. I was then able to move the back seat forward so the seat wasn't suck, it was all the way back.

It's strange because the x3 which supposedly has similar dimension, was fine when I did this test. Front seat set to a comfortable position for me, then myself sitting in the back. x3 doesn't have the ability to adjust the rear seat.

Having a 2 6-footers in front and back isn't gonna work for this car.

Plus what's up with the hump in the back? All the other cars have flat rears.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dsackman

You can move on now...

lol,, yip!
Old 04-10-2011, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The new x3 is completely redesigned, as big as the prior generation x5/rx300. Since the new x3 passed the test, I was hoping the q5 might as well.

Size-wise, no but price-wise they are all around $47-50k i.e. q5 3.2, rx350 nav, mdx advance, x3 35i. German cars cost more.

I was mainly interested in the q5 2.0T. It would have saved some $$ since nicely equiped it's like 43k but would have opted for 3.2 since the 2.0 is hard to come by right now.

I'm not planning to change my seat setting once I get it right so it would have been nice if the back seat had the legroom.

Originally Posted by palumbo3284
You are right on the legroom...it is a little smaller and tighter, but I am 6'3 and can still get folks in the back while I'm driving. Yes, I do need to move my seat up a little, but not so much that it is uncomfortable to drive the car. I love the car's other atributes so much that this small change/adjustment, when rarely needed, is more than acceptable, IMO of course.

I've never driven an X3, so cannot comment on why it was OK in the X3, but not the Q5. Maybe the tilt of the back of the seat was different?

You didn't mention this in your post, so I'm not assuming that you think this, but the MDX is not a fair comparison against the others you have listed. The RDX would be a closer comparison to the Q and x3 than the MDX as far as size and proportions.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Regular people? So if I'm too tall, then these cars would be torture for athletes like basketball/volleyball players.

Originally Posted by dsackman

You can move on now...

Old 04-10-2011, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regular people? So if I'm too tall, then these cars would be torture for athletes like basketball/volleyball players.
Not sure about Volleyball players but any Basketball player that can afford a Q5 would certainly be able to afford a Q7. Probably moot since most prefer Bentleys, Escalades, and Hummers
Old 04-11-2011, 04:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The new x3 is completely redesigned, as big as the prior generation x5/rx300. Since the new x3 passed the test, I was hoping the q5 might as well.

Size-wise, no but price-wise they are all around $47-50k i.e. q5 3.2, rx350 nav, mdx advance, x3 35i. German cars cost more.

I was mainly interested in the q5 2.0T. It would have saved some $$ since nicely equiped it's like 43k but would have opted for 3.2 since the 2.0 is hard to come by right now.

I'm not planning to change my seat setting once I get it right so it would have been nice if the back seat had the legroom.
I completely understand on the seat...you need to do what's right for you. Getting a seat right takes a while, at least for me. I have always been ok with moving the seat around especially with the memory seat function so it'll always go back to my perfect position, but that is something I can live with.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

PotOdds, how many times are you going to have four 6'2"+ people in your car?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Memory seat is really for different people who will drive the car.

As the primary driver of my car, I don't want to change my position when driving because I have someone big behind me. I'm selfish that way

Originally Posted by palumbo3284
I completely understand on the seat...you need to do what's right for you. Getting a seat right takes a while, at least for me. I have always been ok with moving the seat around especially with the memory seat function so it'll always go back to my perfect position, but that is something I can live with.

Quick Reply: Q5 terrible rear leg room