Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 TDI fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q5 TDI fuel filter

I have about 15K miles on my '14 TDI and am about ready to change oil and filter again after prolonged road trip. I remember having to drain water from the fuel filter on my departed F250 Powerstroke diesel and wonder if I should be thinking about something similiar on the Q. I avoid biodiesel at all costs, but may have put in half a tank full of 5% when going through Oklahoma a week ago.

I have a VAG-COM but the HPFP and bleeding process scares me a little- definitely don't want to mess that up!!!

Anyone have experience with that??
Old 06-02-2014, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

For fuel filter:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2861651
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2866185
The following users liked this post:
newboldsrock (10-20-2020)
Old 06-02-2014, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDI fuel filter

Easy to do, (asuming that you have the vcds), found that taking the undercover and the fuel filter cover was more complicated than the fuel filter change itself. PM me if you have questions.

The vcds procedure that work the best for me was: engine, output test, fuel pump electrical, start (for 30 seconds), you will hear the pump cycle about 3 times, then stop and repeat 2 extra times. While the pump is on check for leaks. You can test this using the vcds ahead of time to make sure that you know where the settings are.

I removed the filter from its housing then I used 2 rubber hose clamps to contain the fuel drips from the incoming line and outgoing line, then used a set of pliers to expand the compresion clamps that hold the filter. Notice that the new (and old) filter have a direction arrow, please install in the same direction (towards the engine). Do remember that the filter itself is full of fuel so make sure that you have an old towel underneath.

Knowing that you have done the one in an f250 (like I have many times) you are going to find that its easier and less messy.

Enjoy,

Last edited by pedser; 06-02-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great info guys- thx. Shouldn't be that big a deal to pressurize with the VAG-COM. Done something similiar with bleeding the ABS on previous cars...

Now to find a fuel filter...
Old 06-04-2014, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filter

Originally Posted by skl1
Great info guys- thx. Shouldn't be that big a deal to pressurize with the VAG-COM. Done something similiar with bleeding the ABS on previous cars...

Now to find a fuel filter...
I could not find a fuel filter but at the dealership..... about $45 , and they had to order it, none availble off the shelve. Probably because not many used..... so far.

Enjoy

Pedro
Old 06-09-2014, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Got a filter from idparts.com, also a good source for our 507 oil etc.

Assume priming the system has to use the pump so must be lower pressure so as to not destroy the pump!! Sure hope the VAG-COM does that correctly!!
Old 06-09-2014, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Should be obvious when I get to the connections, but assume similiar to my '09 Jetta GLI- pushing on small tabs on connectors, NOT pulling. At least only 2 lines instead of 3 like the Jetta. Didn't have to prime that one.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like there is a smaller pump in the tank that will prime system with VAG-COM, and main high pressure pump fills the system distal to the filter.

A little paranoid, but I DON"T want to destroy the HPFP!!! That would be a little difficult explaining to the dealer...
Old 08-12-2014, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

So it was my turn to do the fuel filter change. Spijun's instructions and Pedro's VCDS procedure got the job done.

My tidbits FWIW:

I didn't bother with hose clamps for the fuel lines. Very little dribbled out of the lines anyhow. A bunch came out of the old filter of course. My new fuel filter (Part # 8T0-127-401-A) was dry, at least nothing dripped out. After running the first fuel pump test (Engine-->Output Test-->Fuel Pump Electronics-->Start 30sec), I could actually hear the fuel filter filling up. Rather reassuring. Sounded full after the first 30 second run, but I repeated the test twice more (for a total of 90 seconds) just to be sure. Verified no leaks during test and fired up the vehicle. Worked like a champ. And yes, the arrow points toward the engine. If you forget the direction (I second-guessed myself for whatever reason), the connections save you anyhow. One side is a slightly larger diameter opening than the other so it can really only go on one way. (Yeah I'm sure if you tried, you could jam it on backwards...) No need for pix. Take off the right-side (passenger) bottom Cd cover and it's staring you in the face.

Last edited by brutus23079; 08-12-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yep did mine a couple months ago with no issues. VAG cycled it fine and I did a couple times just to be sure. Yeah, a little paranoid when I first started it but ran fine with leaks...

If you have a VAG-COM and at least some mechanical ability it isn't that hard. Just a little nerve racking because if you screw it up, it will cost!!!

Quick Reply: Q5 TDI fuel filter