Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
^^ Happy for you, Murray, and I know you are plenty enough of a “car guy” to be a trustworthy voice.

Since I run with a chip tuner, I don’t really know what an untuned, fixed Q5 is supposed to drive like. I ran with my chip the greater part of a year before the fix. When I had the fix done I took the chip off the car, but then I didn’t wait long to put it back in because I missed the giddy up. Other than the cold engine shifting, and just under 1mpg less economy, I don’t notice any difference at all.

I could have lived without the settlement money but it was part of my calculations in replacing a Touareg with the Q5. The TDI has been my car life since 2011 and so I felt more than most the sense of betrayal at the criminal actions of the company, not to mention the WTF of watching them kill their goose that was laying golden eggs for them. Greed will do that to a company, make it do stupid, self-defeating stuff. As a loyal TDI owner, I not only felt entitled to settlement money, I felt it was almost my duty to take their money to show them, in the way they felt it most, what the cost of their “it’s ok if we don’t get caught” business culture was.

Last but not least, I am glad my vehicle pollutes a little bit less.
Very well said, Mythdoc. My ‘14 Q5 is my second TDI, and I sang the praises of diesel to anyone who would listen. When the scandal broke, I felt a little embarrassed and cheated, but I was happy to get the payments as I felt a company I loved and supported deceived me.
My Q5 drives mostly the same. I like the louder clatter with a cold start, but I miss the downhill engine braking. The MPG is lower, but finally in line with the estimates on the sticker. I now also have an ‘18 Q7 3.0T, but aside from all the fun tech- I prefer driving the older Q5. I’ve had none of the issues post-fix that some people have had, luckily, and I ended up being paid for driving a car I love- I’ve owned 18 cars and overall, looking at the mixture of driving pleasure and practicality, the Q5 TDI is the best car I’ve ever owned.
The following users liked this post:
flybooey (10-09-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigq5
You bring up a very good point in terms of deadline to get Audi’s TDI “fix”.

I too want to hold out to the last minute, and thought that the deadline is Dec 31, 2019. I am not sure at all.

Anyone that knows for sure want to help us get it right?
For my car, a 2015 A6 3.0 TDi, it is April 30, 2020
Old 05-26-2019, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Smart man. April 2020?
Yes and no. The date to file is before dec 31 2019
Old 05-26-2019, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by djgainsbond
Yes and no. The date to file is before dec 31 2019
Which engine class do you have?

i think you are referring to the deadline for filing a claim, which is 12/31/2019.

the deadline for the fix is April 30, 2020.

Last edited by KevinGary; 05-26-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a quick update on the engine light that came on. The local dealer confirmed that the adBlue DEF pump was faulty, as many of you suggested.

The 1st time I brought it in to our local Audi dealer, Dealer Service Rep said that they would only cover if we do the fix otherwise we will have to pay for replacement

Brought it in a second time for 65,000 mile Audi-care at same dealer, and another Service Rep there told us that they would take care of the DEF pump at no cost under warranty.

Lesson for me is not to rely on what one Service Rep says.

My thanks to all that that shared their view and advice
Old 08-03-2019, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I echo your sentiments exactly. Bought this vehicle to keep for a very long time and have no intention on letting Audi mess with it. I'll likely Malone tune it anyway once the extended warranty runs out in 2022', so the emission fix warranty would be of no use to me. Thinking maybe if some need the cash-back to justify (afford) keeping the vehicle, perhaps they bit off too big a piece buying the car in the first place.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I echo your sentiments exactly. Bought this vehicle to keep for a very long time and have no intention on letting Audi mess with it. I'll likely Malone tune it anyway once the extended warranty runs out in 2022', so the emission fix warranty would be of no use to me. Thinking maybe if some need the cash-back to justify (afford) keeping the vehicle, perhaps they bit off too big a piece buying the car in the first place.

The answer to the question of whether to trade driveability issues, degradation of performance and reduction of fuel economy for cash is in the mind of each individual owner not the pages of this forum.

The issue can be displayed on a horizontal line. One end, lets say the left side of the line is those who want or need the money and do not care or may not even notice slight driveability issues or loss of performance and economy. On the other end of the scale is those who value the performance and fuel economy of their car over other considerations and don't need or can do without the cash payout from VWAG. Other possibly relevant factors are time you will keep the car, emissions laws and inspections in your state, or other cnsiderations.

I'm on the extreme right end of the scale. I bought the Audi for the performance and economy of the TDI and will keep it for many more years. I was born a car guy and am tuned into the feel and performance of my car. I'm not a wealthy man but I don't need the money. My state does not inspect emissions equipment. I can ignore the cash payout and enjoy the car as Audi buillt and programmed it.

Where are you on the scale?
Old 02-16-2020, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harvey Barlow, you said it all here. I feel same way. I like the $$ like any guy, but the 3.0 TDI does the job for me and I don’t like the idea of a fix. Leave well enough alone someone said to go along with if it ain’t broke why fix it. Really enjoyed seein your comments here.
The following users liked this post:
HBarlow (02-19-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Abbotsbury joe
Harvey Barlow, you said it all here. I feel same way. I like the $$ like any guy, but the 3.0 TDI does the job for me and I don’t like the idea of a fix. Leave well enough alone someone said to go along with if it ain’t broke why fix it. Really enjoyed seein your comments here.
keep in mind that until you posted all of the other comments were made before Audi came out with the fix for the fix, which has received much better reviews.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO The fix after the fix still is a nuisance I’ve grown old with this car and love to drive it without stopping to refuel. I’ve got enough torque for any upgrade without downshifting on the trips from Vegas to SD. I can tread the needle so to speak with all of the trucks in the right lane and the guys on the left that won’t move. Like the size of the Q5 too and all new q5’s are made in Mexicali... Pretty sure it will take more than $$ for me to get it”fixed”.

Quick Reply: Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences