Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigq5
Most in this forum are rightfully frustrated by the TDI debacle that VW/Audi/Porsche caused. The company and many individuals there heavily damaged the TDI industry and should pay a heavy price.

Many of us got trapped in this debacle and are now trying to get past it. As intended by the 1st thread, we can help each other by focusing on how to care for our TDIs and avoid getting shafted by the dealers and Audi

Many of us have strong opinions & concerns on ethics, regulations, politics, legalities, etc related to the TDI debacle.

May I suggest that those interested in pursuing these concerns, create another thread where they can fully express and develop their views? I am sure that many of us will participate in those discussions.
Thanks for this and I agree. When the scandal first broke there was an incredibly interesting, lively discussion at clubtouareg.com. I didn’t have my Q5 yet. We looked at every aspect of the case, every piece of news got a link, folks called the settlement attorneys and reported back, it was fascinating, we all learned quite a bit. I agree that there is still room for conversation and difference of opinion, even strong ones. On the other hand, how do you even dignify with an answer the assertion that a guilty party (which has publicly admitted their guilt) is in fact innocent but a person who modifies their own vehicle has done something illegal? Especially when it is delivered in such a jeering way? Then you have hardly any option but to send ridicule back and the thread dies.

Fact: my vehicle, “fixed” and with a chip tuner on board, pollutes less than a stock Q5 “unfixed.” Why? Because the emissions reduction system was turned up by the fix whereas in the unfixed vehicles it had been turned down. The multiplier was a factor of 9x more emissions in the unfixed cars. My chip has certainly not turned off the emissions system in my car, it has only made it work harder. That said, those who have elected to delete the entire emissions system in their cars have not done anything illegal, either. It is their right to do it. (At least in my state. Yours may be different.)

A thread will probably die when it becomes fact free and nothing but vitriol. It offers nothing to readers. If this or another thread becomes instead a place for reason and respectful discussion then it will live, and be helpful and interesting to its contributors and readers.

Last edited by Mythdoc; 05-20-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for sharing your experience and approach. I share your frustration.

When convenient, pls share more about the chip tuner you are using.
- who makes it
- did you install it yourself or had it installed
- did you install it before or after the Audi dealer do the emissions fix
- did Audi dealer noticed it or said anything when you take it in.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

A “chip tuner” plugs in between your car’s own computer system (ECU) and one of the sensors that influences performance. It can installed and removed as often as you like. It is undetectable by your dealer’s equipment (as long as you remember to remove it before bringing the vehicle to the dealer, LOL). It therefore will not void your warranty. It is different than rewriting your ECU entirely, which is called a “tune” or “ECU tune.” An ECU tune will void your warranty, if caught by your dealer.

The chip I use is by Chipwerke (search online) but Race chip and other brands are out there. It currently costs $450 on their website — not cheap, but compared to getting a few thousand from Audi for having the “fix” done it is still money in your pocket. Chipwerke’s solution for the 3.0 TDI is to alter the data sent to the ECU from the common rail sensor. This causes the car to perform a little better and also improves fuel economy just a tad.

I bought and installed the chip about ten months before taking it in for the emissions “fix.” I noticed a mild performance enhancement and also an efficiency increase of about 1.5 mpg. After having the fix done I reinstalled the chip pretty much immediately. My mpg is .7 lower since the fix. I never noticed any other degradation in performance post fix. My car does more “regen” cycles now to burn off soot.

i have not had any dashboard lights (knock on wood) in the car. Everything has functioned well. My only note of caution, if you purchase one, would be to make sure they send you the kit for the TDI and not the 3.0 gasser. They did this to me and at least one other customer who posted.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a Race Chip installed and figured I'd leave it plugged in for my last oil change and I could care less if they discovered it because at the same time it's also going out of warranty. I got the GTS model so you can "talk" with it via bluetooth and their app. I set it back to factory default (turned it off) prior to delivering it to the dealership. When I picked the vehicle up the cabling was on my passenger seat. Clearly they saw it and took the liberty of uninstalling it. At least the wiring. The unit itself was still mounted inside that space between the windshield and the engine compartment. A few months after my last service the DEF pump went bad and they warrantied it with no questions. So is my vehicle now flagged TD1? Don't know. All I know is they covered the pump under the extended warranty.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default rocket chip tune

Any one have experience with the RocketChip tune after emissions fix?
Old 05-23-2019, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the fix done yesterday. So far, so good..Performance seems a bit better to me at least from the first 50 miles or so. D seems more like S mode. I passed on the fuel up, mostly because just filled it and I also track my MPG and am picky where I buy my fuel from (Costco). They are 'required' by terms of the agreement to do the fill up, so the dealer gave me a $50 Shell card..not too bad.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Folks,

Thanks for sharing your actual experiences. This is the kind of hands on practical input I was hoping for.

Pit helps to know that there are chips we can use to compensate (at least partially) for the fix.

Wishing all the best!!!
Old 05-25-2019, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still haven't done the fix, I'm going to wait til the last possible weeks to do it.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by djgainsbond
Still haven't done the fix, I'm going to wait til the last possible weeks to do it.
Smart man. April 2020?
Old 05-25-2019, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Smart man. April 2020?
You bring up a very good point in terms of deadline to get Audi’s TDI “fix”.

I too want to hold out to the last minute, and thought that the deadline is Dec 31, 2019. I am not sure at all.

Anyone that knows for sure want to help us get it right?

Quick Reply: Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences