Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigq5
Thanks for all responses and hope to hear from more from those that got their TDIs fixed.

Our 2015 Q5 TDI remains stock (unfixed), and need to decide whether to get the fix in the next few months.

The engine light came on, and the dealer says that it is the DEF pump. He told us that it would be covered if we do the fix, otherwise is out of warranty (and hundreds of dollars to fix).

The interesting thing is that we do not see any difference in the car’s performance.

again, thx in advanced for your input.
2014 and unfixed 104k miles. No problems thus far
Old 05-06-2019, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Thanks for all responses and hope to hear from more from those that got their TDIs fixed.

Our 2015 Q5 TDI remains stock (unfixed), and need to decide whether to get the fix in the next few months.

The engine light came on, and the dealer says that it is the DEF pump. He told us that it would be covered if we do the fix, otherwise is out of warranty (and hundreds of dollars to fix).

The interesting thing is that we do not see any difference in the car’s performance.

again, thx in advanced for your input.

We we had an AdBlue transfer pump fail on our 2011 Q7 TDI before the buyback was announced. That caused early AdBlue needed warnings because the larger reserve tank was not being pumped to the operating tank. That did cost $500+ to repair. Our 2015 Q7 TDI had an AdBlue injector pump fail causing a CEL. It too ran fine with no symptoms. I expect that is what you have. Personally I would get the fix done and thus have the extended warranty. We bought the fixed 2015 after our 2011 was bought back. Have used the warranty once already and likely will again. I was at an Audi Club gathering just last week and discussed the fix with a TDI A8 owner. He commented. “ Yes it runs a bit different after the modification but if I had never driven it the other way and it drove like it does now, I would have still bought it.” I feel pretty much the same. Still love the diesel torque and effortless low rpm power.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is to follow up with those that have had emissions repairs on their Audi TDI.

It has been a while since last post, and hope that Audi figured out how to address everyone’s concerns.

We have not done ours yet and would appreciate if you can share your experiences.

thank you in advanced.
I have the same MY Q5 as you, mine was fixed last year at 48k miles. Apart from experiencing some acceleration gap once in a while, (you avoid this by switching to S), and the loss of 2-3 MPG, depending on the weight of the load, my car has been driving almost the same as before the fix. I haven’t experienced the regenerations as often as others mentioned nor the smells. I do drive long distances (100-250 miles) one way every other week at constant speeds over 60 MPH. I’m keeping my car for the long run and hope it will continue to drive as good as now, I live in California thus I am required to do the fix. I haven’t been disappointed in my Q5 just yet.

Cheers and good luck!
Old 05-13-2019, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

A little update 2014 Tdi, approx 40k since fix, currently @ 222,000 kms.No negative effects whatsoever.Very slight increase in Def useage.Today I drove approx 500kms.from my home to Quebec City and back at an average speed of approx.115 kph.I look down on Civics as they pull off for a refill ! Incredible machine.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

^^ Happy for you, Murray, and I know you are plenty enough of a “car guy” to be a trustworthy voice.

Since I run with a chip tuner, I don’t really know what an untuned, fixed Q5 is supposed to drive like. I ran with my chip the greater part of a year before the fix. When I had the fix done I took the chip off the car, but then I didn’t wait long to put it back in because I missed the giddy up. Other than the cold engine shifting, and just under 1mpg less economy, I don’t notice any difference at all.

I could have lived without the settlement money but it was part of my calculations in replacing a Touareg with the Q5. The TDI has been my car life since 2011 and so I felt more than most the sense of betrayal at the criminal actions of the company, not to mention the WTF of watching them kill their goose that was laying golden eggs for them. Greed will do that to a company, make it do stupid, self-defeating stuff. As a loyal TDI owner, I not only felt entitled to settlement money, I felt it was almost my duty to take their money to show them, in the way they felt it most, what the cost of their “it’s ok if we don’t get caught” business culture was.

Last but not least, I am glad my vehicle pollutes a little bit less.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone explain to me why it's evil and greedy for VWAG/Audi to sell cars that ellegedly do not meet the ridiculous emissions standards imposed by an out-of-control federal bureaucracy but it's perfectly acceptable for an owner to use a device that illegally modifies engine programming to increase power output and emissions?
Old 05-17-2019, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by HBarlow
Can someone explain to me why it's evil and greedy for VWAG/Audi to sell cars that ellegedly do not meet the ridiculous emissions standards imposed by an out-of-control federal bureaucracy but it's perfectly acceptable for an owner to use a device that illegally modifies engine programming to increase power output and emissions?
They need to use the device to overcome the impact of the EPA fix that was needed to overcome the original program so that they can claim that the EPA fix had no impact.

Last edited by KevinGary; 05-17-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Dear me, mockery, feigned confusion, innuendo, and ridicule! And for no extra charge, a little anti government sentiment! An overwhelming argument if I ever came across one. Guess this thread can shut down now. You are the REAL car guys.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
Dear me, mockery, feigned confusion, innuendo, and ridicule! And for no extra charge, a little anti government sentiment! An overwhelming argument if I ever came across one. Guess this thread can shut down now. You are the REAL car guys.
Most in this forum are rightfully frustrated by the TDI debacle that VW/Audi/Porsche caused. The company and many individuals there heavily damaged the TDI industry and should pay a heavy price.

Many of us got trapped in this debacle and are now trying to get past it. As intended by the 1st thread, we can help each other by focusing on how to care for our TDIs and avoid getting shafted by the dealers and Audi

Many of us have strong opinions & concerns on ethics, regulations, politics, legalities, etc related to the TDI debacle.

May I suggest that those interested in pursuing these concerns, create another thread where they can fully express and develop their views? I am sure that many of us will participate in those discussions.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HBarlow
Among other things, VW/Audi mislead consumers as to the "cleanness" of the Diesel products. Remember the "Green Police" Super Bowl ad (which was, btw, an awesome ad)?

Quick Reply: Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences