Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
I thought I'd give more detailed information from Fuelly, pre-fix and post-fix like Dennis does. I broke the data out into two groups today. Refer to my signature below.
Any updates on possible hesitation or irregular transmission shifts? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AMDG75
I can't say I've had any irregular shifting. The hesitation that we seem to all be having I can say that I've learned to not punch the throttle and expect response. Instead I give it an initial tap (middle of stroke) to let the computer know I want it to respond and then a bigger push a second later. That generally kicks down the gear and gets the acceleration I'm looking for. It isn't a perfect response but having gone away from manual transmissions and smaller turbo engines this works effectively in getting up to merging speed.

Every car is a little different. The hesitation doesn't RUIN the Q5 TDI it just makes you have to learn how to drive a different drive train. People will still make it a big deal. They hate when their normal condition gets changed without them consciously making that change. Adapt and move on.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by perlfather
Are both of these multi tank test done in similar temperatures - in other words - both during the same seasons. I am asking as fuel economy is strongly dependent on outside temperature.
The sixteen tanks pre-fix run through a year starting in February, 2017 and ending in February, 2018. The nineteen tanks post-fix began in March, 2018 to current. I take two trips a year to Florida and back (from Tennessee). I just completed one. But even local trips for me are on rural country roads and highways. Hence the relatively small percentage decrease. Less time doing stop and go while the engine is cold.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I haven’t had any irregular shifting. See below about hesitation.

Originally Posted by simplesez
I can't say I've had any irregular shifting. The hesitation that we seem to all be having I can say that I've learned to not punch the throttle and expect response. Instead I give it an initial tap (middle of stroke) to let the computer know I want it to respond and then a bigger push a second later. That generally kicks down the gear and gets the acceleration I'm looking for. It isn't a perfect response but having gone away from manual transmissions and smaller turbo engines this works effectively in getting up to merging speed.

Every car is a little different. The hesitation doesn't RUIN the Q5 TDI it just makes you have to learn how to drive a different drive train. People will still make it a big deal. They hate when their normal condition gets changed without them consciously making that change. Adapt and move on.
I must do this unconsciously. I caught myself doing it when changing lanes in Florida last week. I never go from no throttle to high throttle. When I see a situation developing that requires sharp acceleration, I start feeding in the fuel until I can sense the engine is on the point of going, then I time the burst I need. I’m not sure when I learned to do this...probably driving my first turbo, a 1994 Volvo 760 Turbo. At least my sense is that this was the behavior of early turbocharged gas engines, and I’ve driven a lot since that Volvo. Some of them were underpowered, putting a premium on the behavior being described.

In any event, I have only experienced the hesitation a time or two since fix.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Appreciate everyone's observations. As noted in these forums, there are a few of us holding out on the fix......
Old 01-04-2019, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate everyone's observations. As noted in these forums, there are a few of us holding out on the fix......
yup!!
Old 01-04-2019, 03:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Volkswagen ripoff scandal

Originally Posted by djgainsbond
yup!!
I'm one of them that hasn't had the fix and I don't understand why there's not more of an uproar over the poor performance of the vehicles that have had the fix this seems to be totally unacceptable to me and I don't know why it is it to everyone
Old 01-04-2019, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbacksurfer
I'm one of them that hasn't had the fix and I don't understand why there's not more of an uproar over the poor performance of the vehicles that have had the fix this seems to be totally unacceptable to me and I don't know why it is it to everyone

Which TDI is yours? Our fixed one isn't "just right" huh Goldilocks? Geez so don't go in the bears house...I mean get your TDI fixed...then. Let us know if you have emissions tests in your future. I do and I'll be passing just fine.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

lame
Old 01-06-2019, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In all fairness, there’s another thread where a few holdouts on the fix have come forward and are conversing. This thread, titled “Fix Experiences,” should not be a haven for uninformed off topic statements, though there have been more than a few. If you go back and review the entirety of this thread (I know, nobody actually does that), you will see an overwhelming majority of these experiences are positive. Not perfect, mind you. But folks are positive about the experience. By which I mean the whole of it. The performance taken against the settlement money etc, etc.

the Goldilocks joke gets to the point in a certain way. So please, leave it be. We know, by now, exactly how upset you guys feel that someone moved your cheese.

Quick Reply: Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences