Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eus
I live in a warm state (Northern California), and lately temperatures have been in the high 70's. With that, there's little to no warm up time, and the car feels pretty normal once warmed up.

I normally drive in D mode, and I found that through the winter, it did learn to shift smoother when cold. Maybe it does most of its learning in "D" ?

If you don't want to go full VAGCOM, you can use Carista (look for it in the AppStore / Play Store) to unlock Audi Drive Select for your car. Turning on "Dynamic" throttle mapping can help diminish the perceived turbo lag.
Yeah, dynamic throttle definitely helps. To be clear when I drive in S mode + dynamic throttle, responsiveness is a lot better and closer to how it used to be - even though I still get the "throttle hesitation" sometimes which is bothersome. I am just not as happy as before with my D + comfort mode setting. The car feels heavier.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Sitting here looking over the fence.Here in Canada we're just getting underway, so mine is untouched and wonderful.If I didn't need the $$ I'd leave her be.Ilive out in the sticks so they'll have to come and get me.Having followed the results closely on both sides of the border I'm optimistic that it'll be Ok.However it is a bit troubling to read about the big spread between good and bad experiences.It will be interesting to find out what's at the root of this disparity.
Murray, I had two 2014s, two 2015, and one 2016 completed and noticed very little difference. they are still one of the greatest cars ever built as far as comfort, handling, dependability, fuel economy, and snow driving. I tried to replace my wife's and am pretty sure she would choose it over me. I kept a 2015 and drive it when I don't need the room of the Q7 TDI. They are just great cars. Good luck to you, but be not afraid, yours will be fine also.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Sitting here looking over the fence.Here in Canada we're just getting underway, so mine is untouched and wonderful.If I didn't need the $$ I'd leave her be.Ilive out in the sticks so they'll have to come and get me.Having followed the results closely on both sides of the border I'm optimistic that it'll be Ok.However it is a bit troubling to read about the big spread between good and bad experiences.It will be interesting to find out what's at the root of this disparity.
This is purely personal opinion so take it for what you paid for it. I think the disparity of opinion that concerns you results from the fact that some Audi TDI owners see their cars as machines that provide transportation and some are "car guys." Some owners are less interested in and attuned to the minor operating characteristics of their cars than others. I've been a car guy since I was a young boy. The sounds and feel of cars are important to me. Always have been.

Even though my '16 may have been factory equipped and tuned more closely to meeting EPA requirement and therefore software changes to bring it into compliance might be less intrusive and cause fewer negative consequences I am not willing to take the risk. I like the car as it was built and programmed and that is the way it will remain.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

HBarlow I catch your drift.They are extraordinary machines, extraordinary fuel economy (think civic) , ***** like a N.A. V8 and extraordinary snow performance.I'm keeping her.I'm going for it because I like the $$.
911C4Fan thanks for your perspective.Obviously you know of what you speak.Mine goes in next week and I'm sleeping soundly .
Old 05-03-2018, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harvey,
I agree 100% with you. I got my $1500 from Bosch and the first half ($4281.00) from Audi and didn't have to do a thing to my 2015 TDI P+. What I have to ask myself is, do I want to take a chance on screwing up the best powertrain I've ever had for $4281.00? No way. I can envision getting the "fix" and hating the vehicle. Then trying to trade it in and getting screwed cause they don't want it, all for $4281.00. Then, I'll never get close to trade-in value minus the $4281.00 I received. To buy what, a new $60,000.00 vehicle?
Old 05-03-2018, 07:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Charlie Davidson
Post fix we noticed what different driving characteristics similar to what is noted previously. However, the car also seems to be lurching intermittently. Still trying to sort out what is happening but it seems feel as thought he transmission is malfunctioning at some driving situation that occurs intermittently. Has anyone else noticed this?
Came here to see if others were having transmission issues post-TDI fix.

My Q5 is going in tomorrow as I've noted in 1st through 4th gear that the engine surges repeatedly if I hold it around 1600-2000rpm (problem most exhibited in 3rd gear around 1900rpm under light load [i.e., flat road, just enough throttle to maintain speed]). Glad others are reporting transmission issues; this definitely didn't happen before the TDI fix.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2015 Q5 TDI conundrum

Originally Posted by mariusstrom

My Q5 is going in tomorrow as I've noted in 1st through 4th gear that the engine surges repeatedly if I hold it around 1600-2000rpm (problem most exhibited in 3rd gear around 1900rpm under light load [i.e., flat road, just enough throttle to maintain speed]). Glad others are reporting transmission issues; this definitely didn't happen before the TDI fix.

This is why I Do not want them to FRANKENSTINE MY CAR BUNCH OF B.S
Old 05-07-2018, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mariusstrom

That's not a transmission issue. It's the engine surging. Surging is more likely caused by fueling issues but could possibly be boost.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My experience with 2016 Q5 TDI. I took the money and was initially OK with things. However, the performance seems to have gotten worse, not better over the last 2000 miles. Maybe some gremlins are sneaking the car out of the garage at night and it is adapting to their driving style? My issues: poor throttle response in D, engine knocking (no, not diesel clatter--that I'd be fine with that), surging/bogging that feels pretty unsafe. Honestly, the accelerator is a bit like that on my 1976 GMC truck after it's sat all winter. Chug, chug, bog, bog, vroom. Unfortunately, no 4bbl carb, so the Italian tuneup won't work.

If I had it to do over, I would not have taken the second half of the $. Ah, hindsight. I'm going to get a Malone tune and see if that helps.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by timbo489
My experience with 2016 Q5 TDI. I took the money and was initially OK with things. However, the performance seems to have gotten worse, not better over the last 2000 miles. Maybe some gremlins are sneaking the car out of the garage at night and it is adapting to their driving style? My issues: poor throttle response in D, engine knocking (no, not diesel clatter--that I'd be fine with that), surging/bogging that feels pretty unsafe. Honestly, the accelerator is a bit like that on my 1976 GMC truck after it's sat all winter. Chug, chug, bog, bog, vroom. Unfortunately, no 4bbl carb, so the Italian tuneup won't work.

If I had it to do over, I would not have taken the second half of the $. Ah, hindsight. I'm going to get a Malone tune and see if that helps.
Why not go back to Audi service department and resolve there. Its under warranty.

Quick Reply: Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences