Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Offroad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well for me on my first Q5 driving to my cabin was no issue on dirt/gravel and grass. My issue was on the gravel and dark paint, I noticed a lot of chip marks.
As an alternative, my subaru outback has been my beater car and because of the plastic body molding part way up the doors, no chips that I really care about. Plus I don't feel bad about abusing that car.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also live on a gravel/dirt road, but in the mountains of CO, and have about 3 miles to drive on it on a R/T from home. The roads are crushed granite, sand, silt composition, and of course develop washboard and rough surfaces between maintenance passes by the county. We get lots of snow too. I have a 3.0T Q5, with the 19 inch A/S tires. The car is fine with it all, and so much more composed and stable than my previous Nissan Pathfinder on these same roads in all conditions. The Q5 is also my fishing and exploring car, more gravel/dirt roads, but I have not attempted what we call a true 4-wheel road/track, or one of the challenging "passes" with it yet. What is important to me is that the car handles these conditions well, and does not "break-away" or surprize me when the road gets rough. This is unlike the Pathfinder with its skittish handling, which without warning put me in a snowbank one day, and that sealed its fate in my garage.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- starts about half-way through.

Fun, fun, fun!!!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I shot off the track at about 80 MPH a couple of times this weekend.
It handled beautifully!