Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 03:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Q5 FSI Carbon Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
Seems like this problem is related to the 3.2FSI and 4.2FSI engines. 2.0T and 3.0T seem to be free of this issue. I've been following this issue for some time now and yet to see a single 2.0T TFSI engine with this problem.
3.2 seems to be the one having the most issues with the carbon built-up. I have seen some getting it regularly every 10k miles.
That has been my observation as well. I had two Audi with the 3.2L engine and 2 with the 3.0T engine, one of my 3.2L had the carbon problem and the other 3 doesn’t. I also have been following the forums as far as the carbon problem is concerned, I have not seen one 2.0T or 3.0T engine with the carbon problem. It may have something to do with the higher pressure and flow in the intake valves of a forced induction engine.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the symptoms(sorry if already posted) and how do you get Audi to address/identify it?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 1atlas
What are the symptoms(sorry if already posted) and how do you get Audi to address/identify it?
Loss of power, misfiring, engine light on, shattering at low RPM and when accelerating etc.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is making me stray away from purchasing a Q5 3.2L
Old 12-30-2011, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Darn, so for those of us with the 3.2, you almost wish you'd get the check engine light, misfires, etc. during the warranty period. Surely, this is not going to be cheap after the warranty's up. Or if you don't get it by then, trade it in for the 3.0T that should (hopefully!) be available then.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've heard of AoA picking up part of the tab after warranty, but it was less than half of the total cost, IIRC.

Here's an example of cost:
Considering the RS 4’s performance pedigree – and correspondingly large price tag (in excess of $70,000 MSRP) – this was an alarming trend, something Boyadjiev thought Audi would want to address head-on, especially since parent company VW had earlier documented these very issues in its DI engines. But Boyadjiev and his fellow RS 4 owners found Audi quick to dismiss the issue as a byproduct of poor-quality U.S. gasoline and American-style driving habits (i.e. the absence of high-speed runs on the Autobahn). Audi offered no assistance.
So Boyadjiev took an action to which many other RS 4 owners already had resigned themselves: he had an independent mechanic disassemble the engine and clean it – a $1,200 expense at the time. He returned to the dynamometer to see if the cleaning had made any difference. It had. Engine output soared by 41 AWHP and the car felt new again. For the moment, at least. ...
http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/06/...-adopters.html

You can spend all day reading up on this with a few google searches on Audi carbon build-up or intake valve deposits. Here's an 2.0T A3 (older engine than the A4/Q5 2.0T, I believe) that had carbon build-up:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2817092

Elevens is right. This has to be physically removed. I've seen before an after pics of the BG treatment and there was very little difference.

Last edited by DennisM; 12-30-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

And its not just an Audi problem, its a problem with all direct injection engine with the exception of Lexus which use both direct and port injection on some of their 3.5L and 4.6L engine.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I may be seeing the symptoms of carbon buildup based on what my Fiance, who drives the Q5 daily, says is happening recently. We have 37,000 miles on our 3.2 and she just told me last night that recently it has required a couple of tries before the car will start in our garage which has been around 50-60F. Last night I witnessed the car crank/attempted start for what seemed like close to 10 seconds until I told her to hit the start again to stop it. The car had been driven for more than 25 miles prior on the highway, parked outside in 40F temperature about 3 hours. It started just fine afterwards. This morning I took the car to work just to see if I can recreate the problem, started just fine for me. Will have to drive it more to see. Eventhough I'm starting to be concerned with this issue, I came across this, which I hope you guys will find amusing also.

http://www.inspiredobjective.com/Audi/
Old 01-05-2012, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5KCMO
Eventhough I'm starting to be concerned with this issue, I came across this, which I hope you guys will find amusing also.

Now that's funny.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Could be injector leaking issue. We had similar symptoms with out new 2011 3.2 and had all 6 injectors replaced under warranty. There is a TSB out on the issue.

Originally Posted by Q5KCMO
I may be seeing the symptoms of carbon buildup based on what my Fiance, who drives the Q5 daily, says is happening recently. We have 37,000 miles on our 3.2 and she just told me last night that recently it has required a couple of tries before the car will start in our garage which has been around 50-60F. Last night I witnessed the car crank/attempted start for what seemed like close to 10 seconds until I told her to hit the start again to stop it. The car had been driven for more than 25 miles prior on the highway, parked outside in 40F temperature about 3 hours. It started just fine afterwards. This morning I took the car to work just to see if I can recreate the problem, started just fine for me. Will have to drive it more to see. Eventhough I'm starting to be concerned with this issue, I came across this, which I hope you guys will find amusing also.

Quick Reply: Q5 FSI Carbon Build-up