Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 03:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Q5 FSI Carbon Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called Audi Canada regarding this new tool and they know nothing of it. So, I'm guessing AoA and AoC don't share the same info.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Andy
Just read through all 20 some pages of this post.

I have a 2010 Q5 3.2 and I have a little over 80,000 miles on it. I have never had this problem. My car runs like the day I drove it off the showroom floor.

My Dad has an A6 with the same 3.2 engine and 115,000 miles (I think his car is about a 2008). He has never had the carbon build up problem.

Maybe people are over-reacting to this issue?

I love my Q5, and I hope to keep it for 4-5 more years and hope to get at least 200,000 miles on mine.
I am almost glad that a WP broke on our Q5 when it was about 1 y. old-because AOA extended warranty on drivetrain to 6 years/100K miles. Now Qis 3 y, old, has only under 28K miles
Old 11-25-2012, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just wondering if anyone knows. Is the carbon build up issue something the dealership may look at/repair prior to selling as a CPO vehicle?

Or, has anyone that purchased a CPO ran into this problem pretty soon after buying?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bleh5
Just wondering if anyone knows. Is the carbon build up issue something the dealership may look at/repair prior to selling as a CPO vehicle?

Or, has anyone that purchased a CPO ran into this problem pretty soon after buying?
Don't think so. If it doesn't throw a code or a recall, it won't be look at.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

2010 Q5 3.2 motor, 40,000 miles - brought it in for a check engine light, got word today its the carbon build up issue. They'll be pulling the motor later this week to clean it out. I'm now considering getting the 3.0T and trading this one in.

By the way, they said the front pads need replacing but are saying that Audi Care will not cover. Is that true?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by CrownSeven
2010 Q5 3.2 motor, 40,000 miles - brought it in for a check engine light, got word today its the carbon build up issue. They'll be pulling the motor later this week to clean it out. I'm now considering getting the 3.0T and trading this one in.

By the way, they said the front pads need replacing but are saying that Audi Care will not cover. Is that true?
They don't cover, but it's a 20 min change. A clip and 2 bolts. I got akebono pads, the pedal is a bit softer which I don't like, but they are essentially dust free. Really amazing.
I think I bought mine from rockauto.com.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

In that case I may just do it myself. They're quoting me 280 just for changing out the front pads. I've changed the brakes on my VW more than a few times. The q5 can't be much different.

Originally Posted by leo95se
They don't cover, but it's a 20 min change. A clip and 2 bolts. I got akebono pads, the pedal is a bit softer which I don't like, but they are essentially dust free. Really amazing.
I think I bought mine from rockauto.com.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Wish I found this thread a month ago...

Posted on another thread, but re-posting here as this seems more active.

...had to share my experiences so far in case someone else is researching... in summary, have the q5 carbon buildup being worked on now by Audi, who are being good about it so far. The context...

Our 2005 Volvo V8 engine seized up. Despite routine maintenance at Volvo dealers and our attempts to keep in top shape because it was perfect car for us, there was an engine defect on the 2005 production that we didn't know about and were prone to. Lucky us, the defect caused the car to seize just 2,000 miles outside of the CPO warranty. That's how we learned about it. Volvo offered nothing to help.

So being the crazy holidays and having a busy family and dual career schedule, and unexpectedly needing a car ASAP, we rapidly test drove some Audi Q5s among other cars. Since we were looking at several models of cars I didn't dig too deep on any one model, just checked general reliability ratings. Wife fell in love with a 2009 Q5 with the 3.2L engine. I leaned toward the new model but our other car is on it's last legs too and we didn't want 2 car payments so decided since this Q5 drove soooo smooth and fun on test drive, we'll get it for cash and then not feel so constrained when we get to replacing the other car.

Within a day she heard a faint whistling sound. Almost imperceptible. Then steering fluid leak caused enormous sound and twice took it to Audi for repair (they found the source the second time and has been fine for weeks now.) But those issues masked that this whistling sound was gradually getting louder. Then, less than a month after buying the car from the Audi dealer, the CEL came on with the dreaded SAI codes. By now I had seen this and other threads on the carbon issue and was worried. I brought to Audi dealer, told them the symptoms, had a video showing the gauges when this whistle would come/go, but didn't tell them my suspicions. Thankfully, they seemed to pass the test. They diagnosed it as a carbon buildup problem and found that the "Part 1" of the remedy was already done at a different Audi dealer so they contacted Audi USA. Technician from AoA is scheduled to come out in the next couple of days and do Part 2. I am still researching to find out what Part 1 and Part 2 are, but hopefully they have a way to clean it without dropping the engine. As for cost, "It's covered" is all they said.

While I'm kicking myself for not pushing into the 2013 model with the 2.0, I'm happy Audi is so far being logical on this and not making me fight for proper service. We'll see how it comes out and let you know. The only other thing that AoA could do would be to buy this one back at the price I paid 1 month ago and offer me a good deal on a 2013. But we'll see how this fix does.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did the car have some sort of warranty? I'm guessing Part 1 is adding the fuel tank elixir which NEVER works for this problem, and Part 2 might be the Soon To Be Famous Audi Carbon Traveling Road Show. They have a special tool they designed which bores out the SAI ports without pulling the motor. Audi used it our our 2010.

Keep us posted.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Part 1 was under Warranty so they said Part 2 would be too even though I'm technically 2,000 miles beyond warranty. (I really need to buy new. Feeling cursed.) And yes, it did sound like the AoA traveling techs. I'll let you know, hope to get there in time to witness some of the handiwork. A few posts about a "special tool" and procedure but none of them sound like they witnessed it first hand to confirm.

Quick Reply: Q5 FSI Carbon Build-up