Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 03:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Q5 FSI Carbon Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amkmeco90
I think that we all are barking up for no reason. Audi doesn't pay attention to all of that. There's no more 3.2 Q5 so we are history now
I don't know if I agree. I was chatting with a friend at Audi the other day, and he mentioned Audi is developing a high pressure water system/procedure to remove carbon buildup in the Q5s and other Audi cars that are plagued with it. Supposedly this procedure will be minimally invasive, and be significantly cheaper than the current method. Granted, it is yet to be seen if this comes to fruition, but it was heartening to hear they are working on something regarding that issue.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
I don't know if I agree. I was chatting with a friend at Audi the other day, and he mentioned Audi is developing a high pressure water system/procedure to remove carbon buildup in the Q5s and other Audi cars that are plagued with it. Supposedly this procedure will be minimally invasive, and be significantly cheaper than the current method. Granted, it is yet to be seen if this comes to fruition, but it was heartening to hear they are working on something regarding that issue.
I'm glad to hear that but the problem here is a faulty design that you'll have to deal with it, though not known how often but it exists. I hope they can fix that for good. Till that I'll keep enjoying that wonderful machine . By the way I'd like to ask how do I know the trim of my 09 Q5, premium plus, prestige, or what.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Q5 Secondary air intake problem

Does anyone know what the implication of this problem is on the engine...is it something that needs to be urgently fixed? What would be the potential outcome in not fixing it right away...I really don't have $5,000 on hand right now to fix it.
Wondering if I should just get rid of the car and buy something new....thoughts appreciated since I am not a teckkie. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The SAI carbon problem is an emissions control device. In USA, that means the manufacturer is mandated to repair the device up to certain miles and years. Check that out first. But it's my understanding driving the car won't damage anything other than your eyes from that horrendous CEL light.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just learned that my newly purchased 2009 3.2 with 27k miles had the engine dropped about 7k miles ago to get the exhaust ports cleaned. I'm kind of relieved that it already had this done, but at the same time worried that I'll have to deal with it again in another 13k miles.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi all, this is my 3rd post here since buying a used (non-CPO) 2010 3.2 yesterday. After reading this thread, I'm rather worried. Being the kind of guy who knows nothing about cars and dreads taking my car in for service, I'm considering giving the car back tomorrow and eating the $500 fee.

Anyone think I'm overreacting? Quite honestly I'm considering going for a used Subaru at this point. Hopefully with a few door dings so I have those out of the way too
Old 11-01-2012, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by flyboy216
Hi all, this is my 3rd post here since buying a used (non-CPO) 2010 3.2 yesterday. After reading this thread, I'm rather worried. Being the kind of guy who knows nothing about cars and dreads taking my car in for service, I'm considering giving the car back tomorrow and eating the $500 fee.

Anyone think I'm overreacting? Quite honestly I'm considering going for a used Subaru at this point. Hopefully with a few door dings so I have those out of the way too
Dx= You are over-reacting.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by awryexperiment
Dx= You are over-reacting.
Roger that. A good night's sleep convinced me of the same. Anyway, will be excited to see what progress Audi makes on making the cleaning faster and easier in the future.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you don't have warranty. Then be worry.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ed@mtl
If you don't have warranty. Then be worry.
Boy, that's heartening Current idea is to keep the car until warranty expires (Jun 2014) and then perhaps move on. Now if anyone will buy a 2010 3.2 without warranty at that point... :-/

Quick Reply: Q5 FSI Carbon Build-up