Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 for ED

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsackman
When you say, "the whole package", is that 5% off the original list price, or after discounts and incentives? For example, if you take the $1,500 loyalty and you paid $750 above invoice, was the 5% after the loyalty was deducted and the discount, or before?

Makes quite a difference, especially considering ED used to be 7%.

I meant 5% off the MSRP of the list price of the car plus options. The dealer keeps all incentives, etc. In my opinion, the reason for doing the ED is purely from an experience point of view. You will not save any money because of the additional expenses related to travel to Germany to pick up the car. In our case, we had vacation plans to go to Germany and Switzerland even before deciding to go with ED. So this makes it practical for us to combine our vacation with the european delivery of the car.

Cheers.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats on the ED. It's a fabulous experience, one I hope to do again someday. I did a pretty extensive write-up on my experience, if you want some insight as to how the whole thing goes. You can check it out at http://q5eurodelivery.blogspot.com/ . Good luck!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you have your current CE (European spec) rated High Viz Vests on board and within reach when you get to France. Nothing the French Police love more than issuing fines!
From July it will also be law in France to have your own single use breathilyzer kits onboard (again must be current CE rated).

Good luck guys... hope some of you post pics and reports of your trip, here in the Q5 forum.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Make sure you have your current CE (European spec) rated High Viz Vests on board and within reach when you get to France. Nothing the French Police love more than issuing fines!
From July it will also be law in France to have your own single use breathilyzer kits onboard (again must be current CE rated).

Good luck guys... hope some of you post pics and reports of your trip, here in the Q5 forum.
Yikes, I need a single breathilyzer kit in my own car? I heard about the vests and how Audi should provide these before leaving, will Audi also provide this breathilyzer kit as well at Ingolstadt?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Heresy64
Congrats on the ED. It's a fabulous experience, one I hope to do again someday. I did a pretty extensive write-up on my experience, if you want some insight as to how the whole thing goes. You can check it out at http://q5eurodelivery.blogspot.com/ . Good luck!
I just read your blog about your ED experience...very well-written, as well as informative and entertaining.

The next time I am interested in an Audi I would love to take European Delivery...

One question...for the 8-10 weeks you wait for your car to show up in the US again, does the dealership provide you with a loaner car?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iamshack
I just read your blog about your ED experience...very well-written, as well as informative and entertaining.

The next time I am interested in an Audi I would love to take European Delivery...

One question...for the 8-10 weeks you wait for your car to show up in the US again, does the dealership provide you with a loaner car?
Hahahahahahaha! I wish! Fortunately I had another car to drive, otherwise I would have been taking the bus.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Make sure you have your current CE (European spec) rated High Viz Vests on board and within reach when you get to France.
Audi does provide the vests. I still have mine.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Heresy64
Hahahahahahaha! I wish! Fortunately I had another car to drive, otherwise I would have been taking the bus.
And I am assuming they won't let you keep your trade as you have already taken delivery of the new car in Germany...
Old 02-28-2012, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iamshack
And I am assuming they won't let you keep your trade as you have already taken delivery of the new car in Germany...
Right. The transaction must be completed before you go to Germany because you need to have the paperwork with you to take delivery of the car. That, in my opinion, is the only downside of the ED. But if you have another vehicle to drive, it's no big deal.

If I could change one thing about the ED, it would be the way in which the vehicles are shipped. I don't see any reason why it should take any longer than four weeks to get your car--one week to port and to get on the boat. 10-14 days on the water and another week to get it through customs and to your dealer.

Since ED customers' cars are already purchased and in most cases, people making payments, they should get put at the front of the line when it comes to getting on the boat. For example, if your car is going to Houston (as a large portion of the cars coming to the US do), ships come in and out of Emden about every week. I'm trying to remember, but I think my car missed two, if not three, boats before it finally got on the ship. For a car already purchased, that is unacceptable.

Audi should do something to mitigate this. Either give EDs priority shipment, or at least suspend any payments for those who financed through Audi Finance until the car is delivered.

With that said, let me say that once you get the car, all the anxiety of the wait goes away as soon as you see your car. And you can claim something few Audi owners can: "I got to drive my car on the Autobahn."
Old 02-28-2012, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Very different case, I didn't do ED just ordered it how I wanted it. The Q5 is one the way now and I'm selling my car but my dealer offered to get me into the rental at no cost to me to bridge the gap between when I sell it and when my car is here. I never asked them to do that.

Quick Reply: Q5 for ED