Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Easter Eggs (hidden/no-so-obvious features)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk12
No, actually you can. I just tried it again with the extra key out of range.

Open hatch as exiting car, hit the lock on the remote, go to hatch and place key in hatch, close hatch. Right as it latches you get the lock notification beep. Hatch will not open using hatch handle.

All this is easily done if you go to the hatch to unload items and leave the key sitting there or in a purse left there.

EDIT: Also confirmed with the second remote out of range AND with its battery removed. Still locks...
Oh ok, sorry then. I remembered that when I bought my 2011, the sale guy showed it to me. Maybe it doesn't work anymore? I'll try it again with my 2013 then!

--

When using the Navigation, the Nav hints the incoming exits that have gas stations, restaurants, motel, etc. in case you need gas, are hungry, need rest, etc.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OmegaQ5
Oh ok, sorry then. I remembered that when I bought my 2011, the sale guy showed it to me. Maybe it doesn't work anymore? I'll try it again with my 2013 then!

--

When using the Navigation, the Nav hints the incoming exits that have gas stations, restaurants, motel, etc. in case you need gas, are hungry, need rest, etc.
It's all good.

My 2007 Corvette had this issue and I ran into unknowingly once and only once. So when we purchased the Audi, I checked to see if it had the same issue just so that I would know if I should watch for it. Suppose we should travel with the plastic key just to be safe.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's all good.

My 2007 Corvette had this issue and I ran into unknowingly once and only once. So when we purchased the Audi, I checked to see if it had the same issue just so that I would know if I should watch for it. Suppose we should travel with the plastic key just to be safe.
My 2012 with advanced key will absolutely refuse to lock if I leave the key in the boot/trunk area or cabin. I have been saved by this feature more than once, especially when the car was new and I was still getting to grips with the adv. key. I also tested it while at home to be safe (spare key out of range, no question about that).

Very clever system. If yours does lock you out, perhaps need to raise this as a possible fault with your dealer. Even if I place my key at the very edge of the boot by the tailgate, it is still detected as being inside the car and it will not lock.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GregH
My 2012 with advanced key will absolutely refuse to lock if I leave the key in the boot/trunk area or cabin. I have been saved by this feature more than once, especially when the car was new and I was still getting to grips with the adv. key. I also tested it while at home to be safe (spare key out of range, no question about that).

Very clever system. If yours does lock you out, perhaps need to raise this as a possible fault with your dealer. Even if I place my key at the very edge of the boot by the tailgate, it is still detected as being inside the car and it will not lock.
I can put my key inside at the rear and reach up and hit the button to close the hatch. It'll lock and give the horn beep verifying.

Thinking about this, if I have the hatch opening handle (outside the car above the license) turned off in the MMI, could this be why it is not recognizing that the key is inside?
Old 11-23-2012, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jdeg
The directional buttons on either side of the 'return' button will change the radio station while the navigation map is up.
This has changed for 2013; those buttons aren't there anymore. Now you can push the volume **** to the left or right (like a joystick) for similar behaviour.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Double press the "media" button using an iPod and it will bring you back to beginning start page.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can put my key inside at the rear and reach up and hit the button to close the hatch. It'll lock and give the horn beep verifying.

Thinking about this, if I have the hatch opening handle (outside the car above the license) turned off in the MMI, could this be why it is not recognizing that the key is inside?
I was thinking the same thing, it could be the way you have set up the central locking system in the MMI. Else perhaps a setting in the Vagcom/VCDS. I made no special adjustments but it is well known that different countries get different set-ups. Maybe Audi think that South Africans are more prone to doing 'stupid' things like locking themselves out their cars 😊. An example is the convenience open/close for windows and sunroof (using keyfob). Where I am, even the most basic models come with this feature turned on. Seems most here needed to activate it in VCDS.

My hatch will close with the key in the boot but it will not lock, even if I subsequently try to lock it by touching the door handle sensors.

Also out of interest, in S.A. all current Audi models are delivered with the lock/unlock alarm beep turned off. Locking and unlocking the car does not provoke any beeps or indicator flashes. Not sure why but this too can be turned on/off in Vagcom/VCDS.

Last edited by GregH; 11-23-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Purchased a '09 Q5 2 days ago

Still in discovery mode myself, this is a great list!
  • Orient yourself with the inflatable spare before you need it!
  • Sound -> DSP -> Sound set -> Driver, selfishly direct the concert to the driver
  • Sport mode shifting is more agressive than I am with a manual transmission!
  • Latch points in the ceiling for an optional dog/cargo net
  • Emergency key holder in the glovebox for a plastic key to keep in your wallet
  • Installing roof rack changes driving dynamics
  • You can set the mirrors to fold on locking in the Central Locking menu
  • Pushing on the sunroof dial (not in the center of it) operates a tilt
Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bripsu
[*]Latch points in the ceiling for an optional dog/cargo net[/LIST]
My 2012 Q5 came with this cargo net, allowing me to fully pack the rear cargo area without fear of having stuff slide forward. Perhaps yours should have been included?
Old 11-26-2012, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

do 2013's have an iphone charger?

Quick Reply: Q5 Easter Eggs (hidden/no-so-obvious features)