Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 12:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Q5 Brakes and transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Brakes and transmission problems

I bought new 2011 Audi Q5 in Feb 2011 less than 6000 miles on OD. Last friday I parked it on a slope at the grocery shop's parking lot. After I put in reverse it starts to roll backwards and the car lost brakes, Even if the geared were changed to park position the car kept rolling backwards and I hit the curb. Luckily no other car was involved and no one got hurt. But I had my 2 yr old son in the car. What if this happened on a highway or if anyone got hurt?
The dashboard light lite up and the EPC light lite up while I was trying to stop the car. I hit the curb while still in parking gear. And the car just stole on me. It locked itself and I could not even get the keys out.
After the Towing guy came in, he was able to start the car and change the gear, in order to pull the car up on his flatbed, since it was not drivable.

I think the transmission has a glitch, I have read other forums with transmission problems and that it needed upgrades of software. I think the car did not engage in the park gear and it kept rolling backwards.

What if this happens again?
Did anyone else experience this?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Q52011hp
I bought new 2011 Audi Q5 in Feb 2011 less than 6000 miles on OD. Last friday I parked it on a slope at the grocery shop's parking lot. After I put in reverse it starts to roll backwards and the car lost brakes, Even if the geared were changed to park position the car kept rolling backwards and I hit the curb. Luckily no other car was involved and no one got hurt. But I had my 2 yr old son in the car. What if this happened on a highway or if anyone got hurt?
The dashboard light lite up and the EPC light lite up while I was trying to stop the car. I hit the curb while still in parking gear. And the car just stole on me. It locked itself and I could not even get the keys out.
After the Towing guy came in, he was able to start the car and change the gear, in order to pull the car up on his flatbed, since it was not drivable.

I think the transmission has a glitch, I have read other forums with transmission problems and that it needed upgrades of software. I think the car did not engage in the park gear and it kept rolling backwards.

What if this happens again?
Did anyone else experience this?
Most of the transmission issues have been lags and occasional clunks when new. This seems different. Hopefully the dealer will be able to address it quickly.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sell it!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, the dealer says there is no prblem with the car, they ran the diagnostics and everything seems fine. But they don't know what that EPC light means and why did that lite up.
I dont get it how come they don't know things about their own car.....
I need support to fight this.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds very strange!
  1. Was the engine running at the time?
  2. How fast were you going when you moved the shifter to "P"?

From what you have described I'd guess that you didn't have the engine running at the time and that you had no vacuum left in your brake booster hence unable to apply the brakes.
If you were rolling backwards at a reasonable clip when you moved the shifter to "P" then the transmission would not engauge park otherwise it would damage the transmission.

The other reason could be that there is a vacuum leak in the brake booster and hence unable to effectively apply the brakes.

Clearly it is a dangerous situation and you need to be sure there is nothing wrong with the car.

If you ever experience it again then:
  1. Push the brake pedal with ALL your strength - the brakes will work but they just require a lot of force to work.
  2. Apply the handbrake.

I really hope you get this sorted out quick smart.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you need to go to another dealer !!! AND call Audi of America !
Old 08-31-2011, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely contact AoA (http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/a...tact_audi.html) and not only tell them about the problem, but also make sure to stress how scary/dangerous it was, and that your dealership didn't seem to care...
Old 08-31-2011, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Q52011hp, first let me say sorry to see you are having problems. Please clarify whether the engine was running or not.
Also as you were clearly on a hill why did you not engage the parking brake. The whole point of the parking brake is enable you to shift in and out of PARK without the load on the shifter. It also prevents runaways that are not parked in PARK!
It seems incredible that you are surprised by a car going backwards in reverse so we must be missing some details here.
Is it possbile that you somehow thought it was going to prevent the car from moving like a manual or stick shift might with its engine off (old persons training).
What little you have posted could only be described as sensationalist. I really suspect you have not given us all the details or you do not fully understand what was happening. This is further borne out by the service dept not finding a fault or fault code at least.
Is it possible that you had the shifter partially between reverse and park?

I am just repeating most of what has been said. I completely support Crustynoodle's reply.
Guys there is no need to chip in with remarks like "sell it" If there is a problem we dont need another owner coming back with the same story... then we will think there are two such problems. Anyway we have not as yet eliminated driver error, in which case "sell it" is no help either.... as we may find Q52011hp back again with the same problem with her next car.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Q52011hp, first let me say sorry to see you are having problems. Please clarify whether the engine was running or not.
Also as you were clearly on a hill why did you not engage the parking brake. The whole point of the parking brake is enable you to shift in and out of PARK without the load on the shifter. It also prevents runaways that are not parked in PARK!
It seems incredible that you are surprised by a car going backwards in reverse so we must be missing some details here.
Is it possbile that you somehow thought it was going to prevent the car from moving like a manual or stick shift might with its engine off (old persons training).
What little you have posted could only be described as sensationalist. I really suspect you have not given us all the details or you do not fully understand what was happening. This is further borne out by the service dept not finding a fault or fault code at least.
Is it possible that you had the shifter partially between reverse and park?

I am just repeating most of what has been said. I completely support Crustynoodle's reply.
Guys there is no need to chip in with remarks like "sell it" If there is a problem we dont need another owner coming back with the same story... then we will think there are two such problems. Anyway we have not as yet eliminated driver error, in which case "sell it" is no help either.... as we may find Q52011hp back again with the same problem with her next car.
Thank you so much for that explanation and support. What really frustrates me with the dealer, is that they just say it’s my fault, that I actually did not press the brake pedal. I asked them of a situation where this would occur, but they just say that it is not the fault of the car. Any explanation like yours or crusty's is well understandable and needs more information. But they just blame it on me and not even think about a situation that could cause this.
Ok now about the details on that day. I cannot be 100% sure that the car was running, thats 1 thing that keeps bugging me, that i put the key in but did not actually press it when I changed the shifter in reverse. Having said that, once it was on a backward roll, i did press brakes, then I tried to stop it by changing shifter to P, even that did not work, I looked at the dash board, thinking that " am I hitting the accelerator", at this point I loosen my strength from the brake, and I looked at the rpm which was very close to 0, I cannot say if it was at 5 or not, and at this point it is also when I saw the EPC light come-up. I changed the gear in drive to see if I can move any forward that did not help either, I changed it back to P and looked back, steering to avoid hitting anyone else. That was the last thought I Had, was not to hit anyone. And as you can probably see, I had about 30-40 sec to react, and I did whatever I could at that point.
The 1 thing I missed is the hand brake, but Audi Q52011, has a digital park hand brake, I am not sure if this information of brake being digital is helpful or not.
Again i tahnk you for your time and effort. Let me Know that after knowing more do you think of anything else about the car or Driver error.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
Sounds very strange!
  1. Was the engine running at the time?
  2. How fast were you going when you moved the shifter to "P"?

From what you have described I'd guess that you didn't have the engine running at the time and that you had no vacuum left in your brake booster hence unable to apply the brakes.
If you were rolling backwards at a reasonable clip when you moved the shifter to "P" then the transmission would not engauge park otherwise it would damage the transmission.

The other reason could be that there is a vacuum leak in the brake booster and hence unable to effectively apply the brakes.

Clearly it is a dangerous situation and you need to be sure there is nothing wrong with the car.

If you ever experience it again then:
  1. Push the brake pedal with ALL your strength - the brakes will work but they just require a lot of force to work.
  2. Apply the handbrake.

I really hope you get this sorted out quick smart.
Thank you so much for your view, I have put in more details about that incident, let me know if you think of anything else about the car or driver error.

Quick Reply: Q5 Brakes and transmission problems