Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Back Pain

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Back Pain

New to this forum stuff. But I thought I was going crazy. I have had my Q5 for two years and I drive a lot of miles. I noticed my back began to ache after I began driving the Q5 more frequently as my main vehicle. Recently I have experienced such bad pain that I can not drive for more than 20 minutes before the pain is so intense...I get to my destination and walk for a while and the pain subsides. I drive our second car which is a Volkswagen Jetta and their is no issue. on a whim I Google Audi Q5 and back pain, and found some older threads about this issue with the Q5. Is there anyone else who is experiencing back pain while driving the Q5.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Which seats do you have, comfort or sport?

I have the sport seats in ours, and with 12-way adjustment, including lumbar, I've been incredibly comfortable over long distances. Plus I'm taller so the extendable thigh support has been a welcome enhancement.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm personally moving to the Q5 from an Odyssey that is a huge pain in my back (the seatback is so short on that thing and just seems to be built for someone very different from me), and the Q5 seats have been very comfortable for me (even the standard seats, though I'm getting the sport). I would think that with the adjustability that the seats have, you'd be able to manage to get something that works for you, but everyone's different and it's possible that there's not an adjustment configuration that'll work quite right. Hopefully there's something you can do to alleviate the issue, though.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

I find the Q5 seats more supportive then our A4 seats. Both lumbar controls work the same but the Q5 seats are easier to find a comfortable setting. All the Jetta seats I have been in are fine but don't feel as good as our Audi seats. Does the passenger seat feel different? Maybe something is messed up with the lumbar controls.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has taken me forever to find the perfect feel for my Q5 (standard) seats. But I have found them to be very comfortable.

If Sport Seats would have been available in 2011, I would have them however.

In our GLI (Jetta), we have the Sport Seats and they are comfortable, although not nearly as adjustable.

I'm hoping for better luck in an RS3 Sportback, RS4 Avant or dare I dream RS6 Avant in the future. All of which are a real possibly for the US in the next few years apparently.

Last edited by ThunderDent; 08-11-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I concur. Sport seats do make a huge difference in driving comfort.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5Teddy
I concur. Sport seats do make a huge difference in driving comfort.
I bought a used A7 Prestige and I couldn't get comfortable to save my life. My rear end would hurt as well as my hip no matter what I did. I drove a Q5 as my A7 was being serviced and found it to be much more comfortable. I do think the lumbar support is a little too much on the Q5 but I've gotten used to it. One day I spent 5 hours round trip in it and was much happier. Ten minutes in the A7 and I was miserable. Others thought I was crazy.

The point of this is, not every car is going to work for every person. I traded my A5 in for an S5 with the standard sport seats. HORRIBLE. I traded back to an A5 (both with comfort package) and I'm much happier. Don't feel bad. We are all made differently.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default my story :o)

This brings to mind our trip to the Pacific NW, and wanting to rent a comfortable car for 2 weeks of driving. I rented a BMW 3 Series, and I wasn't 15 minutes out of Vancouver before my back was killing me. I always have a favorite down pillow with me so I retrieved it from the trunk and added it for lumbar support. I never had a problem after that.

I don't know why BMW would put those standard "leatherette" seat in any car they make -- you may as well be in a Ford Focus. In any case I was very careful about which seats would come with our 2013 Q5 P+. I didn't end up with the Sport or Comfort options, but I did get lumbar support with memory, and I'm very happy with it.

HTH
Old 08-16-2013, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by runmiller
New to this forum stuff. But I thought I was going crazy. I have had my Q5 for two years and I drive a lot of miles. I noticed my back began to ache after I began driving the Q5 more frequently as my main vehicle. Recently I have experienced such bad pain that I can not drive for more than 20 minutes before the pain is so intense...I get to my destination and walk for a while and the pain subsides. I drive our second car which is a Volkswagen Jetta and their is no issue. on a whim I Google Audi Q5 and back pain, and found some older threads about this issue with the Q5. Is there anyone else who is experiencing back pain while driving the Q5.
Try this:
Amazon.com: Obus Forme High-back Backrest, Black: Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: Obus Forme High-back Backrest, Black: Health & Personal Care

I used to reverse the headrest on my other cars...cannot do on New cars because of "safety". I think the headrest on all cars these days is too much angle for correct posture.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I max out the heated seat even in the Summer. Works wonder for my chronic lower back pain. Pity it doesn't heat up my shoulders!

Quick Reply: Q5 Back Pain